It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Definition video of the Mars rover landing - via Mars Descent Orbiter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I downloaded all of the high resolution images of MARDI filming the descent to Mars. The resolution is actually 1648 x 1200.

There are SOME missing frames, but I believe this shows a decent view of the landing.

I didn't mess with the frames per second, so it's not in real time. Also consider the images were taken at about 15 seconds apart.

But here you go. Cool stuff. I love that heat-shield falling off! And the hover sequence when the rockets fire!

Watch in HD 1080 to better appreciate the scenery.

And before people start freaking out - most of the missing frames are at the part when the rockets fire, so it looks like the rover landed with a thud. In all reality, the rover (thanks to the Sky Crane) hovered there for minutes to make sure of a soft landing.

Edit - Images are coming in as we speak. This might be a work in progress.
edit on 8/17/2012 by impaired because: Added latest video.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
That is so rediculous. That might fool the masses but here's one guy who's saying .... Bull Sheat!!! What a joke. There out in Area 51 fooling everyone with the newsest fake mars lander, in otherwords a cheap hollywood prop that they didn't even put a high res camera on, cuz there so cheap that they used old parts to create. meanwhile the billions are already in some offshore account. What a scam.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
That is so rediculous. That might fool the masses but here's one guy who's saying .... Bull Sheat!!! What a joke. There out in Area 51 fooling everyone with the newsest fake mars lander, in otherwords a cheap hollywood prop that they didn't even put a high res camera on, cuz there so cheap that they used old parts to create. meanwhile the billions are already in some offshore account. What a scam.

Next please.

(I literally made that face when I read that post.)
edit on 8/17/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Yes. Amazing use of that face.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
ANYWAYS, after the heat shield falls off - that dark "band" is (if I am not mistake) the bottom of Mount Sharp, and those are what people are speculating to be (or better yet - they look like) dried up river beds. Or dunes.

And I see craters in this landing video. I don't see craters in our deserts besides that huge one in Arizona..

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Ya know...I don't know about anyone else...but watching this and mentally imagining if I was actually landing on mars really does some funky stuff to my head...its such a mind blowing thought...that its inconceivably alien and astounding.

I honestly don't know how the astronauts that landed on the moon didn't come back with some severe mental issues due to the overwhelming feeling that must overcome ones self realizing you have literally left everything you call reality and its so far away, you may never get back...

Looking back at the earth from the moon...or mars...or any other planet for that matter would mentally screw me up for life, I don't think I could acclimate back to normal every day life after having been on a different world, in a different reality...and being truly...alone...

Knowing what the feeling of leaving earth experiencing weightlessness, witnessing the splendors of the near universe outside of the atmosphere and the safety of everything we've only ever known...It would just be too much...

Witnessing this video of the lander is just a reminder of that for me of how phenomenally mind bending it would be to leave this planet and land on another...

simply unreal...

thanks for sharing this...

Edit to add: Are those clouds at 15 seconds in that curiosity is breaking through on decent or is that particulate from the surface flying up as it lands?

edit on 17-8-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
ANYWAYS, after the heat shield falls off - that dark "band" is (if I am not mistake) the bottom of Mount Sharp, and those are what people are speculating to be (or better yet - they look like) dried up river beds. Or dunes.

And I see craters in this landing video. I don't see craters in our deserts besides that huge one in Arizona..

not to play devils advocate but have you seen the Nevada desert and how riddled with craters it is from the numerous nuclear tests? It certainly looks like another planet to me...

not saying that this is the case though

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Yeah, Groom Lake. But it doesn't look the same.

And you said you were playing devil's advocate anyways. Good point though. I knew someone was going to bring up Groom Lake, hehe.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

How come that you seem to be so interested in this rover-business, creating topics, discussing pictures while you at the same time think it's a mystery that there seem to be more craters on the Moon and Mars than on Earth?
Isn't this elementary school astronomy?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

That's one of the coolest things I've seen come out of utoob.

Thank you. Watched it over and over again

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Consequence

How come that you seem to be so interested in this rover-business, creating topics, discussing pictures while you at the same time think it's a mystery that there seem to be more craters on the Moon and Mars than on Earth?
Isn't this elementary school astronomy?

Easy - Actually - very easy:

I love astronomy. I love Mars - loved it since I saw Total Recall when I was 9. I love science. I was laid off from my job so I have nothing to do.

It's really quite simple.

And you need to remember something. This first thread that started this all was just me posting a GigaPan - high resolution image of Mars because NASA was dragging their feet so I wanted to see it. Badly.

So I did it and posted it. The rest is history. I have never seen so many people get so angry at someone just trying to post a friggin picture. It's actually sickening, but the support I got nullified it. There are good people out there who appreciate the time I have been putting in to this.

It's not easy!

So, you're welcome!

And hold on (other posters). Uploading the one with the missing frames right now. The hover part is AWESOME!!!!!

Done. Check out the OP again.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
All the planets and moons are riddled with craters.

Its called the Accretion theory, or the last steps of it.

In fact as part of this theory.. We, earth and our neighbors, are still getting hit to this day with small meteor(ite)s everyday due to the pull of the sun.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Just to clarify - that video was made of about 220 images. There are still well over 500 to be added. Imagine how smooth the final version will be. This is video from another planet.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Also, did you folks notice how much different the propulsion looks on another planet? I just noticed that - right when the rockets fire. Must be the low temps and the atmospheric difference in pressure.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeoStarchild
All the planets and moons are riddled with craters.

Its called the Accretion theory, or the last steps of it.

In fact as part of this theory.. We, earth and our neighbors, are still getting hit to this day with small meteor(ite)s everyday due to the pull of the sun.

I'm sorry, but show me a crater field on Earth (besides Groom Lake's bomb-craters). Most meteorites burn up in our atmosphere before they hit.

Now, during the Late Heavy Bombardment we had craters smashing all over the place. It's different now.

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but I don't know about that.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Next please.

Let me guess, you know they went to the moon too right? oh man please wake up

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Next please.

Let me guess, you know they went to the moon too right? oh man please wake up

We never went to the Moon??

Listen. It's not rocket science after all. I mean, the rocket part is (haha). But once you can grasp even a little bit of the science involved - it's not crazy hard with our technology.

All you need is money, resources, and smart people.

You find out the best time to leave the planet because timing is important if you want to slingshot.

You strap a rover or a lander to a rocket.

You send it up.

Shield astronauts from radiation especially from the Van Allen Belt. Also, pressurize the cabin and add necessary gasses to breathe.

Escape the Earth's escape velocity which is 11.2 km/sec. Can be done with a rocket.

Have the right trajectory using mathematics.

Go to our moon or a planet. If going to our moon, heat shield is not necessary to enter because moon has no atmosphere. Or do you think it does?
If going to planet, have heat shield so you don't burn up upon re-entry.

Do your thing on moon or planet.

Done.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Wow. There are 1200-some images from the descent imager. It's going to take time, but I will get that video to be smooth all around. It will truly be a sight.

In the meantime, I can't stop watching the OP's video. The thrusters and that heat-shield look awesome!

Especially the thrusters - on planet with a fraction of our atmosphere and as cold as the South Pole (Earth) on average. Cool stuff.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The rest of the frames are here! Downloading now! I have a perfect sequence so far, but there are hundreds of these images. So here I go. Will post new video (IN THIS THREAD
) when I get the frames.

Making the movie is easy. Download 1,000 (right click, save as, etc.) is a PAIN! But here I go.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Ok - 603 frames out of 1,200 or so. To compare - the video in the OP has only 200.

Remember to watch in HD (1080p) Fullscreen. That is a must!

Enjoy.
edit on 8/18/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join