It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling All Veteran Service Members Of ATS.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob350
reply to post by TDawgRex

I agree this will be a though row to hoe but we must try!!
I agree with you that PTSD is being misused as a disorder. But it all depends on the individual involved. Some people saw a lot of horrible things and did some things they would like to forget but can't. It seems that some Docs would rather drug the people up and move on and just forget these people. But one thing we need to understand. the Docs will not get paid if the individuals can be treated by the love and care of the family or their close friends. Veterans can help these guys or gals too. Just lend them a sympathetic ear and hear them out. Just being there for them will be rewarding for the individual and for the people that are helping them.
If you will think back to the days before alcoholism was a disease and was just a problem for the family to take care of. You know, Well there goes Uncle_______ again. Once the medical profession figured out they could get paid to treat these people all of a sudden alcoholism wasn't just a family problem but a disease. I have always thought that if you showed people the damage they were doing to themselves and their families and showed them you truly cared what happens to them it helps.
I hope this isn't off your topic too far. I just wanted to reply to you and have.
I served in both Nam and Iraq. So you can see I am a Veteran. I am still a Soldier I am just retired now.

I pretty much agree with you here. Someone to talk to and lend a shoulder goes a lot further than medications. And it doesn't always have to be another Vet, unless it is Combat stress related.

The other problems life throws at us all can be addressed through almost anybody willing to help.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Well said.

I was the “Wild Child” that the US Army saved, me from myself. They gave me direction and focus. I had some great leaders who mentored me and taught me that it isn’t always about me.

I believe that the best decision I made in life was enlisting, followed by the next best one…retiring thirty-one years later.

That is one lesson that I carry through into civilian life, thinking of others first and the consequences of our actions...but I will always be a Vet and as such want to continue to serve our Veteran community.

Since I have been passed over for the county Veterans Advocate, I’m thinking of raising & training Service/Therapy Dogs and Cats (to be specific, Border Collies & Maine Coons) and giving them to those who need a loving furry four legged loving companion.

I really think this is my best bet…but crap is it going to be expensive!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I talk to Vets all the time (in Canada) at the Legions. I think you have Posts in the US. Good place to start as it encompasses Vets, Police and Firemen, all people (hopefully) trained in action rather than reaction with a bit of good ole critical thinking thrown into the mix. Plus, word spreads through Legions/Posts. You can say something on the east coast on a Tuesday and by next Friday it's on the west coast.

One thing I should say, is the government is afraid of Vets, so they do try to vilify them in any way possible. There are more Vets alive and operational or potentially operational/usable than there are active enlisted forces.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

I didn't tell anyone I was a veteran until in the 90's and its hurt my business immeasurably. Yeah, 1970 Vietnam and Cambodia. I was in the firefight Sabo got his MOH for. He saved us from being overrun. Yup, I'd have died May 10th 1970 if it weren't for Sabo.
Fortunately I arrived back in the States at night. Both in California and Buffalo New York. So there wasn't any protesters waiting for me. But I could sense right away the total and complete rejection. Within hours of arriving home. My own relatives greeted me and got away from me as soon as they could. I went back to college that Fall and didn't tell a soul I was a Vietnam Veteran. The ones that knew me before I went over there stayed clear of me. To this day no one I knew before Vietnam is friendly towards me. That includes family. Total rejection. When I moved to Michigan and started my practice again I didn't tell anyone I was a Veteran. Not that I was ashamed of it but I knew they'd reject me professionally if they knew.
By 1990 I was too sick to hide it so I had to let the cat out of the bag. Got rid of the parasites and Agent Orange and by 2000 had my health back. But my business has never come all the way back.
Now, of course "They" are forcing rejection by the masses again on the veterans. Why? Its simple, We went for the right reasons. We know freedom and liberty ARE worth figthing for. Its that simple.
I did a little dittie for a local TV show for a tribute to the veterans for Memorial day. I should post it here. Why we went to war. Every soldier that goes to war has a conversation with himself before leaving. Mine happened the night before I left. And the results of that conversation is we went to war for the right reasons personally. Once in the war its not very hard to see the whole thing is a con and you spend the rest of your tour keeping your head down and helping your buddies survive.
Well, "they" know we now know thus have to negate us somehow. Have to get the public to think its wrong to listen to us, its danerous to listen to us. And from their point of view we are indeed quite dangerous. I call it "experiencial vs. Credentialed/positoned". Of course the veteran HAS the experience and knows for a fact its all a con run by the International Bankers and others. They're running both sides of the war. You know, the credentialed/positioned boys. Well, experience wins and they MUST stop the public from hearing the truth we speak. Must keep the public asleep.
Its only been recently that I've been asked what Vietnam was all about and what it was like over there. Of course I have no problem telling them all about it. Now that I can do so.
Anyway, its why we went to war that scares them. We went for the right reasons. Discovered those reasons weren't valid and we were just cannon fodder to them, and now we want to tell the rest of the world about it. No, no, no, can't have that don't ya know. Got to keep the scam going. Look at all the people in the Military industrial complex that are making a living off it. Why there'd be a depession if all those people got put out of work.
As far as doing anything about it goes. For me I'm too old and have lived with the rejection so long its no big deal to me aymore. Yes, you do get used to it. But maybe the vets from the more recent wars can get something going. I'd sure like to see that and I'd support it too. Doc
PS. I should post that "why we go to war" segment out of that Memorial day TV special. Let me know if I can.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Anybody who disagrees with the "program" is considered a bad person and stink eyed. This isn't just the USA man.
It's too bad because 90% of the people are just concerned about the future for our kids. Demonizing everyone who has different opinions is prevalent in "pop culture" these days.
God bless the haters

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Im not a veteran, but I will gladly fight alongside you gentlemen!

I dont have any guns, but I have crossbows, throwing knives, swords, etc. Reason I havent bought a gun, well, I dont want them coming after me for having one, so I just keep to what I know best.

Anyhow, I support you guys 100%, and I know that you are only doing this to protect this nation.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by tobiascore
I'm a 2 time U.S. Army OIF vet. Spent about 19 months in East Baghdad, and 5 months in Kirkuk. Combat wounded in 2005. 448 Civil Affairs, out of Fort Lewis. My name is Tobias Hockenbury. I have no reason to lie.

When I got back from my 2nd deployment, I was really having a rough time with PTSD, so I decided to go to the VA. I was recommended Prozac, Ambian and some other sort of new form of blood pressure medication (the name slips me). So I followed the VA's recommendation and tried the meds for 6 months. That 6 months was the most violent and angry 6 months of my life. I constantly had fantasies of shooting up malls, and other public places. I decided to quit cold turkey, and that was even worse. I because extremely suicidal and paranoid.

Since being off the meds, I feel I have came out less violent and paranoid, though those feelings and emotions do haunt me regularly. But I feel I'm intelligent enough to understand what is happening, and to separate my thoughts from my actions.

I am not extremely paranoid of the VA. I havent been back since I got recommended those meds, and feel like they are more of a hindrance to my well being than a help. This is just my experience. I'm sure others have had success. But in my opinion, the psychotropic medications being recommended are very dangerous. Looking back when I was on them, I felt like a drone without a soul. I felt detached from reality and was extremely careless. It frightens me that there are thousands of military personal out there on the meds, with the same emotional state I was in.

In no way do I recommend labeling returning vets as possible threats, because I feel the threats is due to the meds and the way the VA treats returning vets. I have no answers, I'm just speaking my mind.

edit on 16-8-2012 by tobiascore because: Left out some minor details

Excellent post man. Pharmaceuticals are extremely dangerous in certain cases. It's insanity to even try and control someones brain with chemicals/
We don't understand the brain enough to do this kind of tampering. It's a beautiful piece of machinery/art/ whatever you want to call it.
Peace

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Thanks for posting your story HealthLaws.

I was going to point out the way those returning from vietnam were and are still treated today. As for groups, I choose Legion over VFW for one simple reason. VFW does not recognize vietnam veterans, that is why when you go there everyone is either a Korean War or a Gulf War to Present date veteran with nothing in between. Unless they have had a change of heart in the last 3 years since I checked. They are desperate for membership and giving them out for free to returning Vets for turning their backs in the 60's and 70's and 80's. Imagine returning home then and having everyone including the VFW turning their back.

Remember, every job application you fill out will ask if you have served in the Military. I was just talking about this the other day with a friend (as someone that has been on the hiring end). I would put aps in 2 stacks... Military and no Military (I tried to only hire Military when possible). My Friend said he does the same but seperates the no Military into 2 stacks between educated and no education. But how long will this continue? It could very well go to Military checked yes = reject pile. For now, I think its still in the air.

Last week someone actually got out of their vehicle and came to my car at a stop light and thanked me for my service. I thought I had a flat tire or something. I was shocked considering recent events.

I was talking to another Veteran, also last week, and we both concluded the following:

We work hard, our work ethic is very high and we are quickly promoted.

The status quo for non Military is to "get a check" and we make them look bad. They complain and before you know it your unemployed. Or we are labled anti-social because we don't try to waste as much time as possible.

The reality is most Veterans (like me) just want to be left alone so they can work. Personally I don't care about so-und-so's drama outside work and looking at lolcats all day while I am at work. I have no social agenda or brown nose skills. Who would have thought this was a problem? Now this POV (not a car) tends to get vets into trouble. I always hear things like "you were in the military huh?" or "do you know how to kill someone with your bare hands (or finger or pencil or whatever)" followed by "I can tell by the silence that's a yes".

I will just say this, your VA benefits will follow you to other countries. Get them. Above all stick together, the rest of society has enough back stabbers and they are getting crazier by the day. We're the sane ones.
edit on 17-8-2012 by Volund because: clarify who looks at LOLcats...

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by eriktheawful

Well said.

I was the “Wild Child” that the US Army saved, me from myself. They gave me direction and focus. I had some great leaders who mentored me and taught me that it isn’t always about me.

I believe that the best decision I made in life was enlisting, followed by the next best one…retiring thirty-one years later.

That is one lesson that I carry through into civilian life, thinking of others first and the consequences of our actions...but I will always be a Vet and as such want to continue to serve our Veteran community.

Since I have been passed over for the county Veterans Advocate, I’m thinking of raising & training Service/Therapy Dogs and Cats (to be specific, Border Collies & Maine Coons) and giving them to those who need a loving furry four legged loving companion.

I really think this is my best bet…but crap is it going to be expensive!

I too am going to set up something similar with donating time and money to getting vets, pets. I wish I had more cash but in time, it will come to pass.
Animals are extremely important in the healing process. They diffuse negative energy imo and teach people a different non verbal communication, which is beneficial to our young people too.
There is no "magic" to it. Our cats and dogs are here for a purpose so let's keep adopting.
There are a huge number of pets up for adoption these days.
Peace

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

STAR, Inversely! And my cousin Jerry, a few trips around the primer older, did his advanced
school at Sill. And I thought at my kinda tender age a .50 was family size, until slackjawin'
at the decomissioned 105 in the garage when he got a homecoming party from the Valley.
And hey, you know better than anyone else a long 105 is a derringer...
BACK to the World, and it's twisted puppet masters. I see a lot of hearts in this thread that
have been stung with the media and a few ignorami spoutin' trash about vets. The awakening
Mr. Zbig taked about is actually adjusting a lot of attitudes, in A LOT of people in my parts
who never picked up a cleaning rod. I'm working this issue locally, and when the basic pic-
ture the media is painting becomes exposed enough, you'll have not only plenty of company
but grunts who can haul water. Nothing I could do would approach payback for your service
and sacrifices until we all have to hang it out there equally, God forbid but maybe at home.
When IT had to be done before, the first time, volunteers wore coats of many colors.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   

This thread has been a very interesting read thanks to you, and the people who are rightly angry at the military, usmc0311. I know a gentleman who was in the military. He told me when people thank him for his "service to this country", he actually tells them that they are wrong in thanking him. That it was a huge mistake to have been so uninformed to sign up for the military. He has said that those people thanking him moments before, would get mad at him for saying this. I quite respect him for that

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

I say, start a news cast. Make it somewhat like infowars, but not 100% damn the gov, you know? so, you can attract, while getting the message out! You can discuss big gov secrets/ cover ups? idk, but definatly something you can PULL people into while also fighting the gov.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
Only this time it won't be the Russians, but the very god damn government we took an oath to defend. It's sickening.

You did not take an Oath to defend a Government, you took an Oath to defend the Constitution. There is a difference friend.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

You did not take an Oath to defend a Government, you took an Oath to defend the Constitution. There is a difference friend.
reply to post by MrWendal

All too true. That oath didn't end when you left the military either. I took the oath in the military and in my federal service, I took it seriously then and even more so now.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
To all the anti military member/veteran losers:

Do you really think the USA is the only country that does all this stuff? Torture, things against GC..
As the world evolves and technology gets more advanced there are no other options. Absolutely NONE. People are not always good such as yourselves.
Is the grass always greener on the other side? Then leave. Come on, it's pathetic that you can be against someone that follows orders and keeps you alive. Move and realize how bad you miss the USA.. You have no idea how good you have it.
You also have no idea why they follow such orders. So how can you make all these blanket statements? They accept orders knowing that somehow they are making a positive contribution to the safety of the country. Regardless if it is true or not, don't blame them for caring about you while you complain about it.
Cowards!
Maybe, we should do away with the military temporarily and see how that pans out. You idiots would be the first to complain.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Slodds

The Nazi's were just following orders as well. That did not make it ok back then, and it still doesnt today.

In any event, I do not think anyone here is against the Military. Quite the contrary, many of us support our military. We do not support the Government that gives them their orders. Big difference
edit on 17-8-2012 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   

They are not nazis? And...

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Slodds

Doesnt matter if they are Nazi's or not. There is right, and there is wrong. Just because an individual is "following orders" they are still supposed to know the difference between right and wrong.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

How can you possibly tell them what is right an wrong? There could be circumstances where they save thousands of American lives by doing something illegal. Is that wrong?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
Only this time it won't be the Russians, but the very god damn government we took an oath to defend. It's sickening.

Are you trolling or sticking with your story about not being against service members? Nice post edits.
edit on 17-8-2012 by Slodds because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join