It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling All Veteran Service Members Of ATS.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
A direct answer for the OP: I am not sure.

I like what I do. I can see through the smoke but still believe there is some good baby in that bath water. With regards to "Soldier Worship" or whatever folks want to call it, I don't like it.

I am just a person doing a job. A thank you once in a while is cool or maybe the rare 5% military discount is always welcome

I can even see why veterans may be considered a threat. Most see through the BS spouted by politicians and the MSM. They have worked in unstable places and have seen first hand what makes or breaks an orderly society. Not a whole lot. Just that alone gives the BS spouters pause. They do not like pause.

But a terrorist? Please. There is plenty of terror in everyday life without needing an identified group causing terror.

BTW, last time I checked, I have never been brain washed. Quite the contrary. I was told to think, to act in the absence of orders. Make it happen! Take care of people. Very non-Zombie.

Anyway, when you guys get a good plan in place, I am with you.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I did 13 years, and after realizing that our military was being transformed into a global corporation to be used for everything but what I signed up for I got out in 2009 a week before Obama took office (thank God). I look back and realize that I was a replaceable pawn. The song "Disposable Heroes" by Metallica conveys my feelings pretty accurately. The informed, highly trained combat veteran is the worst nightmare of the globalist. They must destroy you... me... and the rest of us. Not one person currently serving is serving to defend our Constitution, although they think that they are. I can only hope that more and more wake up to this reality.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Bakatono

Starred, I am not really one to run to mom and dad, but I will just report him for trolling and derailing if he does it again.

I am still a fan of the millions strong march, we have force in numbers, there are a lot of Vets, and most Americans still recognize what we do, and realize " its not our to question why, its just ours to do and die"

I believe though that a disciplined and peaceful march will be met a lot different than the occupy protesters were handled, as we knw how to maintain group cohesion under adverse conditions and stay on mission.

Not to mention the LOL if they try to tear gas us, we already got exposed to military grade CX, the police version it like skin so soft in comparrison, most people don't know this, but it loses its potentcy quickly after prolonged exposure. And we don't break and run, we hold our ground, and are not intimidated by fatties with riot shields, they just make slower less limber dance partners.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I haven't read through all the comments, but I agree that Veterans are being looked at in a foul way. In my rural area I don't see it at all, but I do see it in the posts on ATS, and in many of the videos and links. I was one of the lucky ones who was in during peace-time, and seriously, I have yet to be treated with anything but respect ( at least in regards to my military service ). My area has a deep respect for their National Guardsmen, and the six years that I served with them proved that to me. When I was on active duty and marched in parades, children would come up to us and ask us for autographs. This was many years ago, and these days my hair is down to the middle of my back. The average citizen probably doesn't realize my past service at all. I don't advertise it openly with all the tattoos and such, or the large decals on my vehicles; perhaps that has something to do with it as well.

I really sympathize with those who have had these kinds of problems. It's seriously frustrating to defend people's rights while sacrificing more than most realize. My active duty unit spent seven months per year in the field, and my wife was raped on base once while I was deployed. That pretty much ended my active duty; I realized I owed my wife more of a marriage than that. My 5 month old son was in the crib beside the bed she was raped on.

There was no gang scene when I served, and soldiers respected each other during those times regardless of race or religion. I seriously hate that it has changed in so many ways.

I can do my part to raise awareness that soldiers aren't the terrorists they're portrayed to be these days. They are truly the only heroes we have any more besides the many firemen who risk their lives daily. Years ago I would have added police officers to that list; these days I just damn sure can't do that, and that is a serious shame. Whatever is going on with them these days is sad, and I truly wish they would get their act together as a whole.

As a fellow veteran, let me say thank you to those who have served in the past and present. My freedom of speech thanks you; my freedom of religion thanks you; as do my many freedoms.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I agree this will be a though row to hoe but we must try!!
I agree with you that PTSD is being misused as a disorder. But it all depends on the individual involved. Some people saw a lot of horrible things and did some things they would like to forget but can't. It seems that some Docs would rather drug the people up and move on and just forget these people. But one thing we need to understand. the Docs will not get paid if the individuals can be treated by the love and care of the family or their close friends. Veterans can help these guys or gals too. Just lend them a sympathetic ear and hear them out. Just being there for them will be rewarding for the individual and for the people that are helping them.
If you will think back to the days before alcoholism was a disease and was just a problem for the family to take care of. You know, Well there goes Uncle_______ again. Once the medical profession figured out they could get paid to treat these people all of a sudden alcoholism wasn't just a family problem but a disease. I have always thought that if you showed people the damage they were doing to themselves and their families and showed them you truly cared what happens to them it helps.
I hope this isn't off your topic too far. I just wanted to reply to you and have.
I served in both Nam and Iraq. So you can see I am a Veteran. I am still a Soldier I am just retired now.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreine

Best of luck, fellow veterans. Our country values Internet bloggers more than your, and mine, service.

The Bloggers weren't over their killing Men, Women and Children.
Following orders is not a valid excuse.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Originally posted by Dreine

Best of luck, fellow veterans. Our country values Internet bloggers more than your, and mine, service.

The Bloggers weren't over their killing Men, Women and Children.
Following orders is not a valid excuse.

This is exactly what we are talking about here. To you a Veteran is someone who kills women and children. Do you know how many Veterans are walking around having never killed anyone? Probably the majority of them. Also most of the enlisted personell who have killed only have killed enemy combatants. Most of the time when civilians end up being killed it is due to airstrike called in by commanders, not your average ground troop. I actually saw more civilians killed by insurjents than by US neglegence while I served. But thanks for your opinion. I'm sure nothing that I say will change your mind any.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob350

Star for you battle buddy, good post, great tol meet a fellow Vet, as you've been told multiple times I am sure, thanks for your service, thanks for fighting for me and mine, until I was old enough to retyrn the favor. We really are a different breed, and I know some don't understand, but most us who have served in modern times have nevver had to face thr reception some of you vietnam Vets had to endure.

I apologize for your mistreatment if you were one of the pulitical hatred you guys had to suffer, we are gonna make a change now, if we can get enough on board to nake sure our younger brothers and sisters returning get the reception selfless service should receive.

We just need to work together, as a cohesive unit in order to make it happen, it will happen though, to many have suffered for too long not to try.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
But thanks for your opinion. I'm sure nothing that I say will change your mind any.
That depends.
If you can lie to yourself, like so many ex-military on ATS , you can lie to me.
Can you tell me the reason for blowing Iraq to crap?

Can you tell me the reason for wanting to blow Iran to crap?
BTW , perfect example,,,,,,,

read my sig.
edit on 16-8-2012 by Tw0Sides because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

But thanks for your opinion. I'm sure nothing that I say will change your mind any.
That depends.
If you can lie to yourself, like so many ex-military on ATS , you can lie to me.
Can you tell me the reason for blowing Iraq to crap?

Can you tell me the reason for wanting to blow Iran to crap?

I never wanted to go to war in Iraq. I was already in the service when that war came about. As for Iran I see no reason why we should go to war with them. Sorry but I am not a war mongering pshycopath like you probably think I am if you had to ask me those two questions. Sorry to dissapoint you. We all have our views and opinions on things.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I like your idea for us to write our Representatives and Senators. My current Representative will most likely lose his position due to the redistricting in the state and he'll be replaced by Jared Polis. My Senators are Udall and Bennet. I may as well to talk to the fence in my back yard, because none of them could give a damn about veterans, and quite honestly they share the President's feelings toward the military. They're simply shills for this current administration.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

. Sorry to dissapoint you. We all have our views and opinions on things.
No harm , no Foul.
You were bunched together with the majority of the Warmongering Ex-Mil on ATS.

Kinda like all the Brown People killed in the last 2 conflicts, to "let God sort em out"

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

I like your idea for us to write our Representatives and Senators. My current Representative will most likely lose his position due to the redistricting in the state and he'll be replaced by Jared Polis. My Senators are Udall and Bennet. I may as well to talk to the fence in my back yard, because none of them could give a damn about veterans, and quite honestly they share the President's feelings toward the military. They're simply shills for this current administration.

I just finished writing a lengthy and well thought out letter to send off. I am going to take a few days to review and add to it before I send it though. I figure I will send at least one a week until I at least receive a genuine response. I was also thinking of writing up some sort of research paper/petition to have my local veterans sign before I send it off. Something like that may help draw more attention than just a plain old letter.

ETA: Also, it may not make a difference if we write letters we should still do it. In the end no matter how this all turns out we must be able to say that we did all that we could and writing to our represenatives is one place to start along with visiting with our local Veterans groups and organizations. I am also going to go interview the local occupy protestors and see how they feel about this and see if I can offer them some information as well.
edit on 16/8/12 by usmc0311 because: added material.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

. Sorry to dissapoint you. We all have our views and opinions on things.
No harm , no Foul.
You were bunched together with the majority of the Warmongering Ex-Mil on ATS.

Kinda like all the Brown People killed in the last 2 conflicts, to "let God sort em out"

I understand where you are coming from. I tend to stay away from the war threads so I guess I don't notice the war mongering so much. Just remember we are all individuals who served for many different reasons. Some are happy about it and some are not.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I like your enthusiasm, but I honestly think it will fall on deaf ears. In fact, writing tons of letters like that will probably just get you labeled as "crazy" by the leftists. The reality is, they simply hate the military. I've read enough comments on this site to know that anyone with an Obama bumper sticker simply can't be trusted to make rational decisions and they certainly can't be reasoned with. Good luck though.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I posted this in the other thread, but wanted to makes sure all our vets saw it.

I would just like to formally thank all the veterans that visit this site for there service. While I'm not a veteran, and have never served in the armed forces, if the day arises that you have to stand in defense of the constitution against tyranny, I will happily stand beside you in the charge. I feel that the men and women who've sworn the oath to our great constitution are our last line of defense in an ever increasing slide towards tyranny in this once great republic. Our leaders, who took the same oath as our veterans, have done nothing but brought shame to our country. So again I say Thank You Veterans, thanks for all of your sacrifices, they are greatly appreciated by some, and no amount of propaganda will ever change that.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
No servce member who took oath, swore to defend the goverment....they swear to protect and defend the constitution from whence all else flows......
The Service people of america...include a helluva lotta women too.......
The goverment may just find such a plan leads to the blowback they wish to avoid.........Should the vast majority of the vets be made aware of whats going on soon enough.......
Perhaps efforts could be made to portray vets in other lights.....
Theres no harm in lauding publc service of citizens groups etc.....
Maybe a counter plan could be put in motion to kill the bad publicity they plan to dissemnate.
Got to adopt a highway or seomthng to counter the gov ....bs

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I think a lot of it will depend upon where you live too. Here in the south, especially my state veterans are always thanked, and are welcomed by most communities. There are many organizations such as the VFW, Marine Corp League, American Legion, etc, who actively participate in helping their communities all year long with many programs and charities.

I've only personally run across "The Look" only a few times. Generally I ignore it, since those persons have no idea what a veteran has been through, nor do they seem to understand that the reason they get to have those looks or their opinion against me is that a volunteered to make sure that they could do that.

There have been several 'Anti' military or veteran posts in this thread, and there will be more. Those that are from people from other nations, I simply ignore as I'm not really concerned with their opinions or thoughts since it is not their country I'm a veteran of.
Those that do it that are from our country, I just smile inside, since again, I don't need their pity, sympathy, or even really want them to be grateful to me or other veterans, but I am glad that they can voice their dissent, insult me, spit on me (all thought I'd appriciate them refraining from that, as there's all sorts of nasty diseases out there), call me a murdering terrorist........that's cool. Really. Simply because they can do it, I'm glad. It means that I did my job right for 10 years in the Navy, helping protect their right to do just that.
So did my father for the 30 years he was in the Navy, rest in peace dad.
And now my oldest son is doing it too in the Air Force.

So they can troll all they want, it really doesn't bother me. It would bother me more if someone shut them up and removed their right to act that way or censor them.

There are many kinds of veterans too. Some of us hurt people. Some of us had to kill people. Some of us have never killed or hurt anyone. Many of us spent a lot of time in the military actually helping people. Us veterans are as diverse in what we did, what we had to do, and what we were able to do as there are cultures in the world..

I personally never killed anyone. My father never killed anyone. So far my son hasn't had to kill anyone (but then he's in the intelligence part of the Air Force, so he can't talk about what he does too much). My wife (Army) never killed anyone. She was a dental tech. My ex-wife (Air Force) never killed anyone.

But I do know many fellow veterans that did have to do that. And it's not something they talk about a lot. Most that have seen combat don't really.

I saw TrueAmerican's post about having talked his son out of joining the military, who in turned talked his friends out of it. I can't blame him, and I do honestly believe that everyone should understand what they are getting into before they raise their hand and take that oath to defend the constitution of the United States of America. It's a heavy duty oath, and for many it's a very serious thing.
So if your son thought joining was going to be just a real life version of Call Of Duty, I'm glad you changed his mind.
I had doubts about my own son joining. I was relieved when he'd decided on the Air Force (would rather it have been the Navy, but oh well), and not the Army or Marines. But most of my doubts were because my son was very introverted, shy, lacked any motivation what so ever. His IQ is off the charts, but he was just lazy.
Now? Now he has so much confidence in himself I couldn't believe it. He's motivated, takes life very seriously, is a lot more out going, and has a lot of initiative.
But then I shouldn't have been surprised, as that's exactly what the Navy did for me too.

So while I can understand people wanting to talk their children or friends from joining, keep this in mind:

America's military is the most powerful in the world. Many will cite the money and technology pumped into is why. And while that might be very true, there is one other thing that makes it this way, and that is the simple fact that the US military is an all voluntary force.

Talk everyone out of doing it willingly and the government would have no choice but to bring back conscription and draft people.........
Drafting makes for a very poor military. It also brings to light Selective Service and how when you turn 18 you're required by law to fill out and mail that card in.
Forcing people to be in makes for poor solders, sailors and airmen. Those that want to be there however, excel and do very well.
Just like my son. Didn't think it would be his cup of tea. But instead, he took to it like a fish in water.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

VERY well said, I dont think anyone else could have said it better

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

I'm not a vet, but my father put in 20 years in the Air Force, I have many friends that are vets.

Look at the election map, the only people that are not thanking you and realizing what kind of sacrifice you have made, and continue to make, as well as your families, are the Blue States.

The last time in history that vets were villified was in the last Democrat/Communist era -- Jimmy Carter.

Seriously, the only people that villify Vets today are the Communist, illiegal Immigrants, and the Welfare Class.

Fortunately, the only bunch of them that are armed, can't aim, and they're all whacked out on drugs.

The rest of us believe in the Constitution, hunt and are armed, can take care of ourselves, and those willing and able to help out.

This election is a turning point in America.

I salute the American Veterans of all wars, and I detest the Communist that have overtaken our country.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join