It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook camera concept recognizes you by the photos you upload

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Facebook camera concept recognizes you by the photos you upload

dvice.com

What if you could automatically get discount deals on everything from bar drinks to event tickets just by showing your face at the venue? That's the dream being promised as a possible reality by a new conceptual device called FaceDeals. Would you trade privacy for savings?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

The tiny blue box, modeled to mimic the look of the now iconic Facebook Like button, is depicted as containing a facial recognition mechanism that would instantly associate your face with your Facebook account and deliver on-site discounts automatically. Of course, while the notion of getting discounts just by showing your face may sound convenient, it also raises a public-versus-private information debate that would focus on the right to remain untracked by Web services when visiting one's favorite restaurants and bars.

the system is currently being beta tested in select areas of the U.S., with a worldwide rollout planned in the future.

I knew that Facebook was planning something when they purchased that facial recognition company.

This is insane. Facebook will now know where you are, where you go, what you want to buy, what you will buy. This is the next step in privacy infringement.

dvice.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 14-8-2012 by daaskapital because: included video

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The governments finest social mining tool amping up its game yet again. I would love to say that this shocks me or even surprises me sadly it does not. I would like to think that a day will come when folk will realize that being plugged in to the degree that most are is highly dangerous and detrimental however this also is not the case.

That is all

Trowa

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

"If you build it, they will come." Watch the idiots just giggle with excitement to freely give up their info so that they can "get a deal".

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
# it, I get enough 'deals' from other #ty companies on the internet and in person. Personally I DONT want to give Zuckerberg and Affiliates more power, DO YOU??

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
So don't join facebook - problem solved.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

not good enough

if your freinds/family do fakebook
and post a picture of you

you are in the database

FACEBOOK DELENDA EST!!!

edit on 14-8-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
This company is not affiliated with Facebook. They are trying to develop this to interface with Facebook.

According to the folks of Redpepper, the advertising agency behind the whole setup, they're still "finalizing testing and seeking funding for Facedeals." No word as to how the agency would deal with the wrath of Facebook, which might not be all that happy about the Facedeals name or logo.

Not affiliated with Facebook.

Source

They will most likely get sued by Facebook, bought out by Facebook, or both, in that order.

edit on 14-8-2012 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

lol...problem not quite solved...because I am sure that you know they are suggesting you are a psychopath if you do not have a facebook account....lol.

Since i already know i am a psychopath i guess it will be ok for me

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

not good enough

if your freinds/family do fakebook
and post a picture of you

you are in the database

Not so:

The tiny blue box, modeled to mimic the look of the now iconic Facebook Like button, is depicted as containing a facial recognition mechanism that would instantly associate your face with your Facebook account and deliver on-site discounts automatically.

FACEBOOK DELENDA EST!!!

I got no argument with that!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I've referenced and linked this thread, and given you daaskapital attribution credit in another thread I started of applicable parallel.
Are you a government Informant? Would you know?

Good work!
Great find!
S+F

It is indeed quite fun and interesting to watch the social programming machine in action, and how people are willingly, freely, voluntarily letting themselves be turned into spies on their own selves, and everyone they know.

Inform on yourself! Inform on your friends! Join social informant/networking site X now!

edit on 14-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Well, I'm glad I don't have Facebook then

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Aww, well isn't that cute. Even caters to the Hipsters.
If it catches on throughout businesses because of them that is the bigger issue.

edit on 14-8-2012 by dreamingawake because: sp

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
IMO, there are three fundamental issues regarding Facebook's use of facial recog software.

1) You have to dig through several screens before you are able to review Facebook's usage agreements.

2) Privacy settings are by default "On" for use of facial recognition [tagging].

3) Facebook has, to date, reserved the right to sell the fac recog software and/or the information that they collect to 3rd parties.

I quit lecturing on privacy, especially about the magnetically popular Facebook, years ago. There are people who can never be taught the privacy invasion of simple Internet surfing (much less Facebook's particularly abhorrent version), users who haven't heard of these issues (on Mars) and those who simply are too daft or disengaged in themselves to give a damn.

Funny. The relationship is parallel. Data collectors and givers, neither seems to actually give a s$hit any more.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

No Need To Worry

reply to post by daaskapital

The only way this facial recognition system could recognize you, is if you have a real picture of you on facebook. Now, i'm not saying your photo isn't already in the government system in some way, getting a drivers license, or any id with a government background, point is, if you have pictures on facebook where your face isn't shown, you can't be monitored using THIS technology. Examples: wearing a bandanna, mask, etc. Fact of the matter is though, our information is everywhere, and to be completely invisible is nearly impossible. Notice i said nearly though.
edit on 17-8-2012 by TheBeatMasta because: misspelled word

join