It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Cat Says the Darndest Things Writing Contest [APWC][WINNERS announced]

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Dare I say that here's yet another.

Quick, someone tie my hands behind my back so I quit typing.

The Lowly Life of a Pencil [APWC]

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Just a quick one to take my mind off things. She has been my best friend of late.

It's Because You Love Me (I Put Up With So Much From You)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Explanation: S&F!

ATS short story cocktail ... they sure know how to mix it up!

This competition has stirred me and left me dripping wet whilst shaken upon the rocks!

Personal Disclosure: Here is my entry ...

A Timely Reminder,... Reflections on Grandfather ... [APWC]

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The Lost Soul

Here is my first ever short story. Hope It's good enough.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Here's mine.

Interesting topic.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 6-8-2012 by RisenAngel77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I did manage to finish the story using a more traditional style I don't normally use; but, I didn't bring in the 1995 Druid character as considered.

I hope our own ATS Druid still manages to see it and comment as that's usually the only recognition I receive and look forward to.

Here's for you Druid! www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 6/8/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Here is my second entry.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am not so concerned with flags or stars, but I really put my heart into this story so I would just ask that you read it and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Coven

Edit: I would like to thank the member who helped me with editing. Thank you Druid, an extra set of eyes is a valuable asset to have.
edit on 6-8-2012 by coven83 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2012 by coven83 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Charlotte's Doll

Second entry, possibly 2 more chapters to come.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Okay; its taken quite a a lot of re-reads and a few days of mental gestation but...

I finally get masqua's joke!!! (I think...)

*Phew*

Another item scratched off the long list of things which confuse me. Although it will take another couple of days to get over the epic facepalm I gave myself when realisation finally hit...

edit on 6/8/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

Please, do share with the rest of us. I could see no connection between the Rum and the Zebra. Other than the fact that Lions like to eat Zebras, which wouldn't be beneficial to the continued patronage, it still eludes me.

I also was waiting an epiphany, of sorts.
Mine is still eluding me.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
The musk ox orders a frozen daquari because that is the drink it always orders as it from a frozen land. It never differs in its selection because an ox never differs in any aspect of its life.

The punch line is the fact that the zebra is judging the musk-ox for never being different and then orders a drink "Rum Runner" that is exactly the drink you would expect a zebra to order, since they are always on the run, from predators.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

I hope our own ATS Druid still manages to see it and comment as that's usually the only recognition I receive and look forward to.

Such gems are to be savored slowly, and unfortunately, I have been assigned to afternoon shift this week, filling in for a co-worker on vacation. I followed the link, which points to chapter 7, scrolled to the top, and read the first paragraph. Ahhh. Something to read!

However, I was reluctant to read further, and closed my browser tab. I want to be able to imagine the scenario, and throw my self into the story, becoming part of it through your words. Time is lacking at the moment. That appears to be a treasure to enjoy in the morning over a cup of fresh brewed java, something to clear away the fog of sleep. As thus, I have not flagged nor read as of yet.

I do appreciate your kind words. Thank you!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by coven83

Really? That simple?

If that's the case, then I am way too analytical. Sigh!

(Are you sure there isn't something hidden in there about the lion getting the ox and zebra drunk, then having them over for dinner?
)
edit on 8/7/12 by Druid42 because: bbcode err, had the closing parenthesis too close to the lol

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

Originally posted by Druid42Really? That simple?

(Are you sure there isn't something hidden in there about the lion getting the ox and zebra drunk, then having them over for dinner?
)

No. The epiphany is that there is no epiphany… That’s why it’s so clever. You’re waiting for some amazing punch line that never really quite get’s there…

To quote Kung Fu Panda "there is no secret ingredient"

When I was a kid, one of my mum’s friends told me this joke.

“What did the mouse say when he broke his tooth?”
“Ouch, what hard cheese...”

To this day its one of the few jokes I actually remember (aside from a couple of ‘dead baby’ jokes but we won’t go there). I rate masqua’s joke just slightly higher than that one. And I will probably remember it for the rest of my life as a result.

edit on 7/8/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1littlewolf

Originally posted by Druid42Really? That simple?

)

No. The epiphany is that there is no epiphany… That’s why it’s so clever. You’re waiting for some amazing punch line that never really quite get’s there…

To quote Kung Fu Panda "there is no secret ingredient"

When I was a kid, one of my mum’s friends told me this joke.

“What did the mouse say when he broke his tooth?”
“Ouch, what hard cheese...”

To this day its one of the few jokes I actually remember (aside from a couple of ‘dead baby’ jokes but we won’t go there). I rate masqua’s joke just slightly higher than that one. And I will probably remember it for the rest of my life as a result.

Exactly. Stated as I could not.

Perhaps there is more to the meaning of the joke, hidden in the subtext, but that is what I interpreted.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by coven83

That's right, it's just plain old noodle soup. There is no secret ingredient...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I perhaps beg to differ from the both of you. The OP stated it was a bad joke, and to perhaps forgive him. (Sorry masqua, for the third person reference!)

Even though I've watched all the Kung-Fu Panda movies, (and love them!) I don't think the simple recipe is the only answer. Po never wanted to follow in his father's footsteps.

Complexity of the simple recipe is what sells, when in truth there is nothing more. People believe there is more, and in doing so, create more in an existential realm. While I think that there is more to the joke, masqua is somehow tying it into the theme of this month's contest, and in that regards, we are not able to understand the "joke" in the proper context. There is the "simple soup" answer, which we've solved, and then there is something underlying the theme that I can't quite put my finger upon.......

I want to
really badly, but there is something
left unanswered.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   

I perhaps beg to differ from the both of you. The OP stated it was a bad joke, and to perhaps forgive him. (Sorry masqua, for the third person reference!)

Even though I've watched all the Kung-Fu Panda movies, (and love them!) I don't think the simple recipe is the only answer. Po never wanted to follow in his father's footsteps.

Complexity of the simple recipe is what sells, when in truth there is nothing more. People believe there is more, and in doing so, create more in an existential realm. While I think that there is more to the joke, masqua is somehow tying it into the theme of this month's contest, and in that regards, we are not able to understand the "joke" in the proper context. There is the "simple soup" answer, which we've solved, and then there is something underlying the theme that I can't quite put my finger upon.......

I want to
really badly, but there is something
left unanswered.

Maybe you simply want the joke to be special. It was after all quite long...

I guess there's only one person who can answer this.

reply to post by masqua

Masqua, have you sold us all just plain old noodle soup? Or is there, as Druid hopes, a secret ingredient that we've all somehow missed?

At any rate, I really wanna try a Rum Runner now...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

I'm sure we will be getting a satisfactory answer VERY soon!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join