It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lost Soul [APWC]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I walk through the door into the light. Suddenly it captivates me. Blinking eyes moving sporadically about, like a dancer under a strobe light. Then the eyes open spontaneously fixated on the sun, not unlike a moth to a flame. I stand and stare as it glides off on the floating fingers of the wind.

"what was that beautiful creature?" I said astounded.

"That was a butterfly." The child said back.

"We shouldn't be out side...I mean I shouldn't be outside. you know it's against the law. your mother won't be happy with me if she knew we were outside together." I spoke nervously to the child, it wasn't my place to make commands. Even to a child.

"Don't be silly, why shouldn't you be allowed outside anyway? It's a stupid rule. Why shouldn't you view the worlds beauty? You liked that butterfly didn't you?" The child replied. "Where else are you supposed to see the magnificent things the earth has to offer? In your dreams?"

"What are dreams?" I said perplexed. I had never heard of this word.

"Dreams are where are our souls go to learn when we sleep. Or so my mum tells me...wait your telling me you've never had a dream?" Said the child in amazement.

"I'm afraid not, does that mean I don't have a soul?" I said feeling a little upset. "What does that mean? What happens if I don't have a soul?"

"You must have a soul, every living thing does. If you don't have a soul where do you think you'll go when you die, silly." the child said reassuringly. "And about not being able to dream...well I think you just need to try harder. You know when somethings beautiful, which means you have a conscience, so that's also proof that you have a soul."

"I suppose you're right...maybe I'm just not trying hard enough." I said determined to try harder.

"anyway, mum's coming back soon so we need to shut you down and put you on charge." The child sounding a little sad. "Hey...i suppose this is like your sleep. Maybe you can try and dream this time and tell me all about it when I turn you back on."

"Yes, what a good idea. I hope your're right and that I can dream, and that i do have a soul." I said excited about the prospect of dreaming.

We walked back inside. There it stood in the corner of the room. containing my hopes, maybe even my dreams. A tree of wires and life. My energy source. My electric blood. I walk into it as the child plunges the large socket into me, like a knife with no pain. I feel the surge of energy, pulsing through my vein like wires. This is my life support machine.

I wait now inevitably for the switch off. Usually the part I dread. The part of that feels like eternal darkness. But I wait in anticipation this time, because I want the chance to dream.

"Ok, time to switch you off now...Sweet dreams." The child said as if excited for me also.

"Thankyou, I hope I do have a soul." I said in optimism.

The snap of the switch came as a shock, like a whip on flesh. It was always the same no matter how many times I went through it. The quick weakness through out my being ensued. Internal organs rapid shutting down.
My vision is always the last thing to go. Tunneling, always getting further and further away, until all light fades and darkness reigns supreme. Nothing but blackness ensues.....

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

I'd give you a flag, but I did give you a star as you made me think.

What are you in the story? A smart phone? or a toy?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Haha, It's a robot. Oh, I thought it was clear anyway.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Ah...Do robots dream electronic dreams? I get it.

Here's your third flag.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Thankyou. Look foward to reading your story.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

I don't have a new one yet, but my others are out there in the forum. I would apprciate it if you read some of them and give feedback. Like I said, I'm my own worst critic.

Don't spare my feelings.
I look forward to others point of views.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

SnF!

What a well written and insightful story, especially for a first entry. I am impressed!

I knew it was a robot first off, presented craftily by you when you asked within your story about dreaming. They say robots don't dream.

Do they?

If they dream, do they have souls?

Very good questions brought up by your SS, and you've gotten your audience to think about what you are trying to say. To me, that is a sign of a good writer.

Keep writing. Hope to see another entry from you this month!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Thankyou. Yea, I couldn't help myself. I've already written another one. which could contain three parts depending on its' reception. don't want to write it all out and find that nobody was interested. haha

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
S&F! Well done Daz!

I kept waiting for another U2U giving me a link then stumbled across this and I am impressed. I really enjoyed reading it and I am glad you decided to do it!!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
S&F! Well done Daz!

I kept waiting for another U2U giving me a link then stumbled across this and I am impressed. I really enjoyed reading it and I am glad you decided to do it!!

Oops, sorry I should have sent you a link. I suppose I was anxious about what reception my first piece of writing would get. But I'm glad you found it and liked it. You see how hard I'm trying to get my writer status?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Beautiful......

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Philip K Dick wrote "Do Robots Dream Of Electric Sheep?"
Perhaps yours could wake up and tell us.

Whoops! It's actually "Androids" Been a long time since I read it. Sorry.
edit on 10-8-2012 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
May I ask you, to write some more ?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
Philip K Dick wrote "Do Robots Dream Of Electric Sheep?"
Perhaps yours could wake up and tell us.

Whoops! It's actually "Androids" Been a long time since I read it. Sorry.
edit on 10-8-2012 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

Still, in the success of this piece, I suppose It's only fitting and fair to give it a second chapter. The question is does the robot dream or not? That is the question. Maybe I should give it a happy ending.

Thanks for the motivation. I'll start tomorrow. My only hope is that I do it justice.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Yep I will start tomorrow. What do you think? Does the robot dream or not? Happy ending or sad? Thanks for the interest.

I did write a few others in this category, but I tried the horror route. I think I failed Haha. I'll stick with what I'm better at I suppose.
edit on 12-8-2012 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join