It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama backs race-based school discipline policies

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MichiganSwampBuck
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Good points. This reduction down into a pie chart would explain why the media (or everyone for that matter) panders to the lowest common denominator. This explains many things, thanks for blinking my light blub (which is incandescent by the way).

This brings up an interesting point in my mind, which is this - (despite every post I've read so far on this totally missing the point and believing this is a policy to increase punishment for non-blacks, when in fact the whole thing is about smarter discipline to help change behaviors in those whose parents have failed them, rather than simply pushing them out of school to become a greater burden on society) - but I digress...

The point is, those who choose to rise about the lowest-common-denominator crap are the ones who will rise higher in life. Sure, many public school systems are crap (and a good portion of private as well), but good parenting instilling the desire and initiative to learn will help to create a fertile mindset for a child to become a smart and strong-minded adult.

I went to a crap school system, graduated high school in '93. In '92, our school district's high schools started installing metal detectors to cut down on stabbings. I had 3 good teachers throughout high school. I graduated in the top 5% and breeEd through college while working 60 hours a week to pay my way, and created a great career and life for myself.

The school pandered to the LCD, but I didn't. I chose to learn on my own, thanks to values instilled by my parents. People can complain all they want, but it really only matters to those who want the (school, work, etc - whatever system) to make it happen for them. It makes me think of the "boo-hoo there's no jobs" type people out there.sure, if you want it served up on a silver platter there's not. Heck, 4% unemp rate is great, but 10% is terrible. And if you're part of that 10%, then you need to blame yourself. Maybe things were peachy before be ause you didn't make yourself one of the 4% least employable. Well, you are one of the 10% least-employable.

My point being - just because the system is in place for the weak and mediocre doesn't mean individuals have to be - in fact, such a system makes it far easier to rise above the crowd. Let the system do the work for you- and you get to be one of the lowly masses. Think for yourself and push yourself - and you get to lead them, or simply earn more than them, or understand and know more - whatever your wants or passions are.

Incidentally, my light bulb is Next Gen LED, crisp, clear, clean, instant on, and efficient as hell.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

Wait....WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Who is this clown kidding? If they are disciplined more, it is THEIR fault. Less access? Since when? Gee, I thought segregation was a thing of the past! So, if they act like thugs, and the good teachers won't go to the schools because of all the crime and gang activity, we are supposed to penalize the kids that behave?!?!?

This is beyond insane.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

I think among some it was the reasoning for war but I definitely agree that it was only one of many issues that led to succession. The winner writes the history books, right?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by glasshouse

Most of the southern states had already succeeded by the time Lincoln was elected, the major causes were the loss of states rights and huge tariffs imposed on the South by the North. As always, money is the key.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

But that doesn't mean America was founded as a White supremacist nation like you are saying that is an outright lie.

Alright, it has a strong white supremacist history. Better?

How do you describe blacks that have other blacks as slaves?

People are a product of their environment. A lot of black slaves bought their family back, others for their own capital gain. But again, has nothing to even do with the racist laws, which is what I'm calling white supremacist.

most of the AAs here now do not have slave ancestors

Most AA's are from slave descendants. The majority of all black people that were brought here were slaves. A percentage of them became to be free or born free. There majority of black people in this country are not post slavery immigrants. Though the majority of AA's have a large white genetic base.

Most of the white citizens now did not have slave owner ancestors, it's a clean slate.

I know this, but that has nothing to do with the laws that were in place that favored whites over colored people. And I'm not saying current white people are responsible for anything in the past. All I'm speaking on is history of this country. Again you're taking offense to this which is weird.

edit on 29-7-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by de_Genova

Look at all those stars already

Great work Vitruvian.......its about time somebody had the balls to face up to the reality of the way people of color have been so MAL - treated and abused in America.............. We owe them - so REPARATIONS ARE IN ORDER TOO - bigtime
Watch and see - but it'll come about as a result of UNITED NATIONS actions and not on the part of the government.............Otherwise it'll come to a civil war that'll make the war between the states look like a muffin march - a cake walk.............[
edit on 28-7-2012 by de_Genova because: wrong way harrigan

All what stars, exactly? I see TWO.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Wow, that is sad that someone photoshtopped that. You can even see where they didn't line up the grey box to the black box right.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Wow...Just wow! I mean they tried that kind of thing over here in the UK with stop and search and searching on grounds of terrorism but then so many kicked off at the blatant attempt to simply pull white people up in majority black areas where crime was basically all black, that one black copper actually said if it was to continue those areas would basically become lawless.

Discrimination is discrimination, regardless of how you dress it up but if you try to push a victim mentality on to certain people then they will always be the victim regardles of what they do themselves. This is exactly the problem with many black people. I feel sorry for them really as both black and white oppertunists want to keep black people down for their own personal game.

I have no doubt that there are issues with black kids in education. These issues are just the same here in the UK. I personally think its to do with a number of factors. Lack of confidence in black pupils, macho perception in young black males that being educated is somehow a sign of weakness, many black kids lack fathers or have ran out of the door, many black kids would rather become rappers or drug dealers although the same can be said for many kids in poor areas.

Doing this kind of rubbish does not fix the problem even if it might fix some votes.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

Originally posted by de_Genova

Look at all those stars already

Great work Vitruvian.......its about time somebody had the balls to face up to the reality of the way people of color have been so MAL - treated and abused in America.............. We owe them - so REPARATIONS ARE IN ORDER TOO - bigtime
Watch and see - but it'll come about as a result of UNITED NATIONS actions and not on the part of the government.............Otherwise it'll come to a civil war that'll make the war between the states look like a muffin march - a cake walk.............[
edit on 28-7-2012 by de_Genova because: wrong way harrigan

All what stars, exactly? I see TWO.

So taking out on people who had nothing to do with something that happened over 200 years ago is fair? I hate to break it to you but slavery has affected people from all over the world since the dawn of man. As discrimination is discrimination, no matter how you want to dress it up.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Here is the bottom line....based upon the Human Genome project there is no rational reason to consider. That based upon the fact that one is black, white , yellow or brown, there is a difference between us. Given there is an environmental reason for there to be green, orange, blue or even pink people with purple spots...there would still be no difference between them and us. Race, creed or for that matter color make no difference whatsoever, to our ability to function in society.....

Their literally must b some other excuse...

Any thoughts?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Obama come up with a lot of dumb and childish thing but this is WRONG and he is a RACIST (not that its a bad thing in general)

America was never ready for a Black president let alone a racist idiot like this one. Him and his wife are just plain weird and corrupt.

At the end of the day its up to parents to start standing up to the schools (prisons in the states).

Lets face it though, blacks and latino kids are far more trouble than whites and Chinese. Obama just doesnt want his fellow black criminals to be punished anymore for their behavior.

Its funny how black always say they are poorly treated yet its been 200 years since slavery and still they can't get a grip on life...how LONG DOES IT TAKE???

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q2IN2Y
reply to post by groingrinder

Let me ask you a question or any one that wants to answer it. When a person is suffering from mental and emotional abuse, let's say, from a psychopath or narcissist... how long does it take for that person to get over the abuse?

Most people have to go to counseling. Most people have to join support groups to help them cope and get over the enormous amount abuse they have endured at the hands of the abuser.

*snip*

Now with that in mind, how long do you think it will take a group of people to get over centuries of emotional, intellectual, physical, mental and spiritual abuse?

African American abuse is generational. That's why it's so despicable and abhorrent. It didn't stop with one generation. The abuse went on and on for generations. And do we not as humans adapt to survive? When the abuser keeps telling the abused that they are crazy, what do you think the abused will think over time?

So when for centuries, the white man calls the black man an animal, lower than human, sub-human... all these things, and no one is there to object to the notion, or to reassure the black man of his humanity, what do you think the black man will think? He is an animal. When the white man of antiquity continuously berates the black man and calls him an animal not worthy of the joys and benefits of education. Unfit for academics, what do you think the black man will do, after being told for generations and taught from their parents for generations that they are inferior? You think he's going to strut out with his chest high ready to take on the world?
*snip*

edit on 28-7-2012 by Q2IN2Y because: (no reason given)

Every single race of people on this planet has been enslaved at some point or another, some place or another, not just blacks. Using that as an excuse is refusing to take any personal responsibility. The Jewish people have been vilified for a LOT longer than the black slaves in the United States were,m and they aren't asking for handouts, or making excuses for bad behavior, or causing riots, "flash mobbing" stores, etc. They aren't claiming that they can't behave because anyone is "keeping them down". The boat people that fled from the Far East didn't ask for any special favors. They came here with virtually nothing, didn't speak the language (which ALL of the descendants of slaves did), and have succeeded in school, in business, in life. Nor have most of those running around acting like criminals ever been treated that way by society. I grew up n the South, and I KNOW that people weren't treated that way. In fact, I was "bussed" to a school with very few white students (some "desegregation"), and the ONLY racist attitudes I saw were from some of the black students. Most flat didn't care. More neighborhood friends were black than white, not because of numbers, but because that was the kids we got along with, as it happened. My maid of honor was black. Didn't matter.

Sorry, but those using race, and some past history to excuse bad behavior are demonstrating racist behavior. Look at the focus of this post, and be honest; do you REALLY think that penalizing non-black students for things that blacks wouldn't get in trouble for would be fair? Really? Do you really think that black citizens can't succeed without special help? isn't that very idea demeaning to the entire group? Doesn't that tell them that they aren't as capable? it isn't true, but the idea that it is drives a lot of the issues in that culture. That isn't anyone else keeping those people down; it's themselves.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q2IN2Y
reply to post by BenReclused

No question answered though. What civilization recovers from tyranny and oppression in less than 2 generations? After being oppressed in a society for centuries?And not even oppressed with a sense of identity... oppressed with NO identity.

PM me a few links, I'm interested. Peace
edit on 28-7-2012 by Q2IN2Y because: (no reason given)

Where are these "centuries" of abuse of blacks in the United States? The country isn't but a bit over two centuries old, first off. Second, since the Civil War was less than a century after the founding of the country, your math seems a little off.

What civilization? Interesting choice of words..... How about what people? The Jewish people suffered for centuries, literal ones, and they have their own nation again, historically AMAZING, and are doing quite well. I don't think you need a link for that.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I take offense to it because people won't let it go already, things were bad, things were changed, get over it and get on with your lives.

There are still Jews in this country with Nazi tattoos on them, but they got on with their lives.

It's over and now the laws are going in the opposite direction and punishing whites...why shouldn't I take offense?

I wasn't involved, neither were my kids and we shouldn't be punished i can't believe you don't see that of course you are still too young.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Nature plus Nurture sums it up pretty well I think.

Neurobiologist Teyler explained in 1977: The fabric of the brain is set down as a result of the interaction of genetic blueprints and environmental influences. While the basic features of brain organization are present at birth (cell division is essentially complete), the brain experiences tremendous growth in neural processes, synapse formation, and myelin sheath formation, declining around puberty. These processes can be profoundly altered by the organism’s environment. Furthermore, it has been shown that brain processes present at birth will degenerate if the environmental stimulation necessary to activate them is withheld. It appears that the genetic contribution provides a framework which, if not used, will disappear, but which is capable of further development given the optimal environmental stimulation.

www.education.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Hello Six6Six

Slavery ended in 1866 officially in the United States, this being less than 200 years ago. Clearly an understanding of American history makes clear that African Americans did not have the right to even
drink from the same water fountain, or use the same bathrooms until well into the 1960's.

If anything your comment is inappropriate...

Any thoughts?
edit on 29-7-2012 by Kashai because: Aknowledged member response...

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kashai
Here is the bottom line....based upon the Human Genome project there is no rational reason to consider. That based upon the fact that one is black, white , yellow or brown, there is a difference between us. Given there is an environmental reason for there to be green, orange, blue or even pink people with purple spots...there would still be no difference between them and us. Race, creed or for that matter color make no difference whatsoever, to our ability to function in society.....

Their literally must b some other excuse...

Any thoughts?

There are other reasons that people are not willing even entertain yet. I mean to say that if the black race is doing "bad" that is in essence saying that other races are doing "good". Yet if that was true the world would be a better place. Fact is, we are doing bad as Earthlings. Of course my argument is not clean cut. But people aren't digging deep enough. Threads like these are attacking a superficial problem on a superficial level.
edit on 29-7-2012 by ScRuFFy63 because: grammar

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Where am I going on about punishing people for anything? No where, not once.

I'm speaking of strictly a historical sense. It is not my fault that you get upset over history. I should be able to have a discussion about racial history in the USA without people taking offense to ONLY mentioning facts.

I don't get upset if Japanese Americans speak about them being put in internment camps. Why should I, I didn't do it? Neither should you. I don't go on about how they want to punish Americans if they talk about it either. It is weird.

edit on 29-7-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Suburban and rich blacks do not have these problems.
oh, but they do and one visit to my neck of the woods would prove it cause this is where they come to play.

The main issue is, that you have all these ghetto people and that is all they know.
now that's worth a B I N G O !!
so, how do we change it ?? this EO isn't gonna help any.

first, turn off the tube, phones, radios and open a book.
second, read with your children and discuss the topic.
third, parental participation in schools.
fourth, seek successful advisors ... not the dude with the hot car, chics and gold teeth.
(well, not so much anymore but you get the point i hope)

in the 80s, most minorities who fit that description got there illegally.
in the 90s, the paradigm began to change with the rap culture and the success that followed.
after the millenium, more minorities took advantage of getting an education.
Now, the economy is soooo bad that even an education isn't a real advantage.

it's NOT race, it's the condition of society.

I never was outside of the ghetto for any extended period of time.
and these words are so true for so many, it's difficult to comprehend.
but, what can WE do about it??
that's the question to be answered by US not government.

It sounds so ridiculous, but it is true
but it doesn't sound ridiculous, it's sad, it's bad, it's blatantly the wrong direction this country should be headed.

ok, this isn't meant to be a snub although it may sound like it ... now that you are 20 or so, how willing and how often are you venturing back to those badlands to make a difference in some younger persons life ?? have you done any mentoring/tutoring of strangers ??

if you haven't, then why not ?? do you believe it's someone else's duty ??
i would hope you believe, as you survived, that you now have something to share.
contrary to popular belief, teaching does NOT require a license.

Everything wasn't beat up and ugly, there wasn't drug dealers on the corner, no one ever really fought, I didn't have to guard my electronics at school.
wow, i guess our impressions of "slum/ghetto" aren't quite on the same page either.
we had to deal with all of that and not many thought it was all that bad.
well, we didn't have electronics (personal) at school but we had plenty of other things pilfered.
heck, we even had permission to smoke (tobacco) during school, on property.

most of our beat up and ugly looked like this ... www.youtube.com...

ps: regarding that other topic, are you even aware that in 2 northern states (NY, MD), around 1860, there were more slaves (not indentured servants) than existed in 4 sourthern states ??

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join