It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think of this book idea...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I had an idea recently for a book. Tell me what you think....

My idea is like this. Like when I was in high school and later teens it seemed like I was always figuring out everything as I went along. Which is fine, but the problem is learning the hard way on some life lessons.

Now almost 40 I just feel as if there's a lot of key decisions that I made in life really poorly. It's stuff that I really had no clue on. So on some choices I ended up learning the hard way. Which really bothers me too.

It's thoughs decisions that you look back and you sort of think to yourself, "if only I could go back know what I know now and some how do it over again". I'm not sure if it's the right view point to take. As all of those mistakes taught you valuable lessons too.

But that being said I still think that there's a lot of practical decisions that were really not carefully thought out. So getting to my idea....

It would be a book detailing a lot of practical advice about life from an older person focused toward a teen or younger adult. The same stuff kinds of life lessons some of which I learned threw trial and error. Meant to sort of give a younger person a more practical approach to understanding "the system" and all the in's and out's of how to navigate there life so they don't run into major problems. The stuff they don't teach you in school about real adult life.

So I've seen some books like this. But most are just comedy books. Like there just meant to be funny. Like this one called "how to punch a dolifine in the face" or something like that. Mine would be more of a serious approach.

The reason for this is that I feel as if kids now a days get taught a lot of information in school that doesn't help them in navigating the game of life. So they get out in the real world and are very clueless in so far as how the system works. And sort of what things they need to think about when conducting there lives to avoid running into major life problems.

I mean reading it in a book and living it are obviously two different things. I mean living it does have some silver lining as you really mature quickly going through these major experiences. And the what I'm talking about more specifically are those types of things like: divorce, bankruptcy, starting a business, taxes, common law, the justice system, and all kinds of these adult life experiences.

I"m not sure what to call it, but something like maybe "The Teens Handbook to Understanding Adult life" or something like that. I think also with so many broken families kids just aren't getting the mentorship they need to take on these types of real life situations. So a book like this might offer some practical advice.

What are your thoughts? Do you think it has any potential? I know also at that age it's hard to teach younger people anything anymore as they think they know it all. Not sure if they'd actually read a book like this. Anyway what are your thoughts?

edit on 15-7-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I think it is a good idea. A good target area in my opinion would be kids whose parents aren't in their lives and who are looking for some guidance. A lot of children are a lone in this world and would probably love a book like that.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Well I just think there's really not enough information out there for young people telling them.... this is a landmine to avoid and so is that.. bla bla bla. Like there's so many traps out there. But I don't know, it's hard to say. Life is a risk I guess even if you know about where the landmines are. I guess they do teach a basic course in high school detailing a lot of this stuff too. But it's funny how I've run into so many people who've run into this or that problem who were clueless on how a certain area works. Then again I'd probably have a lot more success just selling some kind of diet book.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Thanks! Im writing it from your idea as we speak. I should have a few hundred pages done and off to publishing your...ah... MY new book idea. Im hoping to make a lot of $$$ from you...oops...MY new idea for a book!

I just LOVE it when folks just give away their great ideas for free!

I wonder now how many readers of this thread here and by searching forever on line...will get and STEAL your great idea for a book?

Your 40, right? Havent you heard of keeping your creative ideas and works to your self so no one steals them and calls them their own? (like new movies etc till they are ready?)

Nope...didnt think so...so thanks again. Ill be laughi...THINKING about you at the bank as I cash the checks.

Let me know if you got anymore great ideas...Ill use those too!!*

*(This has been a public service message about protecting all creative works becasue the world out there is just DROOLING for new ideas...and have more $$ and connections to steal from you and put it out there before you can BLINK!)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Your so funny! lol

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I think your book is a good idea. We (old folks) all look back and cringe from time to time wondering why this or that.

Agreed, a handbook of how to be less stupid makes sense. But I ask you in all seriousness: Looking back at all your poor decisions, would have not reading a similar book been one of yours?

I am honest. I am not sure if I would have read anything similar, even written by a future me.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
It's a good idea in concept and if executed properly would be a bestseller on someone's list. Just look at series like "Chicken Soup for the ____ soul"

If you're ready to do extensive interviews and case studies with troubled teens--I think it could be great and very helpful. Good luck to you in getting your idea off the ground!

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

It's not a bad idea, however you have to consider marketability. Are young people going to pick it up and read it? Or like you said, like young people, are they going to ignore it and assume they know better?

You can give the younger generation advice till your blue in the face, it remains whether the target audience is going to listen. I think that's why the approach up till now has been a comedic one, as to break down that barrier.

I would suggest starting smaller, attempting smaller pieces maybe in magazines or even online first to test the water and get the style of writing you want to convey down first, and to garner maybe a following before you go all out and attempt a book.

edit on 16-7-2012 by 74Templar because: ETA

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Hey OP? I wasnt trying to be funny. But it happened to me. A published author who once posted an idea for honest opinions...it got it stolen from me because they had the resources to do it quickly.

Before I knew it...they claimed it as theirs.

Now, Im copyrighted, never give away anything either completely or in connected parts...until Im ready and can prove I wrote it and when. (copyright or just mail it to ones self so the post-date shows you had it and when...I dont care which you use..)

In a world where the your request seemed a great way to get to alot of people worldwide...it also exposed that idea...TO a lot of people worldwide. MANY of these people...are drooling.

If all I did was to simulate a "theft of intellectual property" and its potential for being stolen...then I achieved my goal. And I wont stop at it either.

Good luck to you for a great writing idea! If you have any questions about publishing or securing your creative works...drop me a U2U sometime.

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: grammatical errors

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Yes, this is the good book and You can learn more through this book and this book is also learn more to the reader of the book.

And the www.dissertation-help-services.co.uk... is also a website that learn about the assignment this is provide assignment help to the learner.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It's a good idea and I hate to say but, but unfortunately the sad truth is teens don't care, won't learn, won't listen.

The thing is we need to make our own mistakes to learn. It's a fact.
I'm older than you and know this!

I remember being guided, told, warned, but did I listen? No I didn't. Wish I did though because older people just know more. We realize that As we age.

All of us wish we could go back and change things, change how we acted or reacted and we think we can be of some use to youngsters.

Kids don't listen, mine don't take my advice.
We only listen to some of the advice.

You might look into a magazine article. Some magazines let you submit your own. No idea which do.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I forgot to ask if you have children or teens? I'm thinking you don't and this is why you think you can be a better guide.

ETA The topics of divorce, bankruptcy, common law etc are too much for them to digest. or was it for how to be the child of divorced parents?
edit on 21-7-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger

I wonder now how many readers of this thread here and by searching forever on line...will get and STEAL your great idea for a book?

There are plenty of screenwriters that are ATS members. All writers, everywhere, all the time, are looking for that special something that awakens the muse.

ATS is a veritable gold mine of ideas, concepts, log lines and treatments and characters as well.

r2d242...write your book, make a documentary, just get it down and registered.

This is the software I use and it's free....www.celtx.com...

Good luck!!
edit on 21-7-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Thanks for the support! Im just trying...as the world embraces the internet and the millions it reaches...to make authors and artists and songwriters realize how important it is to secure your works as your own creative idea.

Why do you think Hollywood puts "gag orders" and "confidentiality agreements" on works in developement?

Because they spend millions of dollars on that new movie, rock album and book.

And I still dont think the younger generation here even thinks about someone stealing their ideas BEFORE they even get it written or recorded. And that really does happen everyday.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
reply to post by olaru12

Thanks for the support! Im just trying...as the world embraces the internet and the millions it reaches...to make authors and artists and songwriters realize how important it is to secure your works as your own creative idea.

Why do you think Hollywood puts "gag orders" and "confidentiality agreements" on works in developement?

Because they spend millions of dollars on that new movie, rock album and book.

And I still dont think the younger generation here even thinks about someone stealing their ideas BEFORE they even get it written or recorded. And that really does happen everyday.

I've been working in the film industry since 06, starting out as a background extra, being Taft-Hartled and getting my SAG card and now directing and producing webisodes, music videos, shorts for the festivals and feature films.

We ALWAYS have all cast and crew sign nondisclosure agreements for EVERYTHING we produce. Intellectual property can be the most valuable part of any project.

I too have had ideas ripped off and had to enter into litigation against the perps.
edit on 22-7-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join