It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coach punches Female Basketball Player After Loss

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This isn't pro ball either, the victim is a minor. This had to be some kind of High School summer league.

COACH PUNCHES FEMALE BASKETBALL PLAYER AFTER LOSS

A man from Wisconsin was arrested Monday at the Indiana Fieldhouse complex in Fishers after he punched a girl who was playing basketball for him, police said.

"She reported that during a verbal altercation, he punched her in the face, threw her to the ground and got on top of her with his hands around her throat," said Fishers police spokesman Tom Weger.

www.theindychannel.com...

When I first read this I had to say to myself, "Good thing they did arrest him because if the girls dad or family members would have gotten a hold of him first it could have gotten real ugly real quick.

I do not have a problem with putting a high emphasis on winning, winning is important. I never played sports to have fun, I played to win. Same thing when a coached little league I played to win and just going out there to have fun kind of defeated the whole purpose of playing the game. That is why we keep score.

I received tongue lashings as a player, some deserved and some were not and I gave out tongue lashings when I felt the team was dogging it. It is part of the game.

But this couch got on top of her and put his hands around her neck. You can kill somebody doing that. Not that I thinking punching a player. no matter what the age or sez, can ever be justified but this is more than knock upside the head.

As a coach he should have realized that even the best of players have off nights.

I have seen coaches throughout my life acting like jerks. You get the impression that if they win a championship, no matter how small or insignificant they think that major universities are going to be lining up outside their door the very next day,contract in hand, wanting them to take over the head coaching position.

This story just kind of disgusted me.

edit on 7/10/2012 by Classified Info because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/10/2012 by Classified Info because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/10/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--All Caps

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
You're right, of course, way over the line. I'm glad it's in the hands of the police. Can't argue with you at all. The only thought that comes to me is that it really shouldn't matter in this case that it was a female victim. I'm guessing a 17 year-old athlete and a middle aged coach might have been reasonably matched, but of course that's not the point. He shouldn't have done it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Classified Info

What does it matter if it was a female or a male?

Seems like one is not worse than the other.

This is just disgusting, and this is why I'm against organized sports. Far too much abuse.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I hope her teammates take him out back and hang him from the hoop by his testes.

Totally uncalled for --- should have never been a coach in the first place. Abuses like this aren't isolated situations.

I'd really like to have a few words with him (in a basement, with some oldies tunes, and a chainsaw) on how to treat a lady.

edit on 10-7-2012 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

This is just disgusting, and this is why I'm against organized sports. Far too much abuse.

~Tenth

What? Talk about ignorance. Is it ok for a girl to slap a man? Yep...is it ok for a man to slap a girl? Nope.

What world are you living in? What does it matter if a male assaulted a female? Really?

Eta..waiting for some crazy excuse that makes it okay for a MAN to assault a woman.

edit on 10-7-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

~Tenth

What? Talk about ignorance. Is it ok for a girl to slap a man? Yep...is it ok for a man to slap a girl? Nope.

What world are you living in? What does it matter if a male assaulted a female? Really?

How is one worse than another?

Are you some how stating that it's ok for women to hurt men but not the other way around? Cause that's the twisted mind set not the one where I claim violence is bad regardless of gender.

What world are YOU living in that still has gender roles and Misandry?

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

~Tenth

How is one worse than another?

Are you some how stating that it's ok for women to hurt men but not the other way around? Cause that's the twisted mind set not the one where I claim violence is bad regardless of gender.

What world are YOU living in that still has gender roles and Misandry?

~Tenth

It's called the real world tenth...wow.

I'd love for women to chime in on this.

Eta: how many women do you see being thrown in jail for hitting a man vs a man being thrown in jail for assaulting a woman. How do you not know the difference?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
I hope her teammates take him out back and hang him from the hoop by his testes.

Totally uncalled for --- should have never been a coach in the first place. Abuses like this aren't isolated situations.

I'd really like to have a few words with him (in a basement, with some oldies tunes, and a chainsaw) on how to treat a lady.

edit on 10-7-2012 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

Hang him by his Testes?

Would you be saying that if the victim were a male, or would you be saying the same thing I here people always say "the punk probably deserved it, but he did go a little overboard."

WTH, yes he should be charged, but not because she was a female, because he assaulted her.

I do not see, however, where hanging him by his testes is warranted, was it a sexual assault, NO!

If a woman assaults a male, should we have the rest of the team hang her by her boobs?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

So you are saying that it's ok for the following to occur:

A women hits a man.

But it's not ok for :

A man to hit a women.

That's your opinion? That violence on one end is ok, but the opposite is not? How is that the real world?

It's not. It's the one you were indoctrinated into, which dictates that somehow, women are more important than men and that crimes against different genders should be treated differently.

They should not.

We are ALL human, regardless of gender, skin tone or any other detail you'd like to justify.

Violence is bad Mkay?!

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

reply to post by amongus

So you are saying that it's ok for the following to occur:

A women hits a man.

But it's not ok for :

A man to hit a women.

That's your opinion? That violence on one end is ok, but the opposite is not? How is that the real world?

It's not. It's the one you were indoctrinated into, which dictates that somehow, women are more important than men and that crimes against different genders should be treated differently.

They should not.

We are ALL human, regardless of gender, skin tone or any other detail you'd like to justify.

Violence is bad Mkay?!

~Tenth

Oh please....we all know it's not "right" for both men and women to hit each other, yet you should know that there is a double standard pertaining to men hitting women.

What utopian world are you living in?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
As an athlete for almost 20 years, I have found that learning to lose is just as important as learning to win.

All too often coaches forget that sports at the high school level and below should be used to teach kids how to win, lose, respect your opponent and respect your body as well.

Most important of all......it should be fun! Winning is pointless in all honesty.

It's a game, it should be fun and should only be taken seriously when at a professional level. Even then it is nothing more than bread and circus.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Ok I said my peace above.

This is not about gender!

This thread is going to get out of hand very quickly though.

So lets stop right now and look at it a different way, and take the gender out of it.

"A coach from Wisconsin hit and choked a 17 year old player after an altercation after their team lost a basketball game"

That is the story.

Whether the player or coach is male or female makes no difference. Neither should be treated differently based on gender here. The coach should be charged with assault of his player.
edit on 10-7-2012 by tw0330 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-7-2012 by tw0330 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

What double standard are you talking about?

Again, how is it any different?

If you'd like to claim that it is, in the judicial system and then men are more likely to be put into jail or prosecuted for violence against women, then yes that's true for a number of reasons.

Doesn't make it right. Doesn't mean that we should continue to fuel that idea by allowing the judicial system and the government to tell us what is acceptable.

Men should have the SAME rights as women when it comes to domestic violence, or violence in general.

The title of the OP serves to continue the status quo of indoctrination via gender roles.

It should have read " Coah Punches Basketball Player After Loss."

His punishment should be the same, regardless of who he punched.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by tw0330

So lets stop right now and look at it a different way, and take the gender out of it.

"A coach from Wisconsin hit and choked a 17 year old player after an altercation after his team lost a basketball game"

That is the story.

Whether the player or coach is male or female makes no difference. Neither should be treated differently based on gender here. The coach should be charged with assault of his player.

Unfortunately, you can't ignore the gender issue in this case.....wish I could, but I'm living in reality.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

reply to post by amongus

If you'd like to claim that it is, in the judicial system and then men are more likely to be put into jail or prosecuted for violence against women, then yes that's true for a number of reasons.

Doesn't make it right. Doesn't mean that we should continue to fuel that idea by allowing the judicial system and the government to tell us what is acceptable.

Men should have the SAME rights as women when it comes to domestic violence, or violence in general.

The title of the OP serves to continue the status quo of indoctrination via gender roles.

~Tenth

Yeah, men "should" have the same rights as women when it comes to abuse....but it's not reality. Why do you think women aren't in the NFL, or NBA? I'm interested in your thoughts......

Because men are stronger, bigger, and dominant.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

Then what's the "social issue"? I mean I not arguing for or against the man/woman thing but if you take away that then the guy assaulted a player, he's a scumbag, end of story? What's to talk about?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by tw0330

"A coach from Wisconsin hit and choked a 17 year old player after an altercation after his team lost a basketball game"

That is the story.

Unfortunately, you can't ignore the gender issue in this case.....wish I could, but I'm living in reality.

Which is why women who do the same crimes as men do, get far less prison time, if any.

If there were true equality, people weren't sexist, then people would see this as I stated above.

If the coach were a woman and the player was a young man of 17, would she be charged? or would the young player be charged? Who's word would they take?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

reply to post by amongus

~Tenth

Yeah, men "should" have the same rights as women when it comes to abuse....but it's not reality. Why do you think women aren't in the NFL, or NBA? I'm interested in your thoughts......

Because men are stronger, bigger, and dominant.

You are right, to a point. Men on average are bigger and stronger.....but we must be equal in the eyes of the law. Otherwise we set a very bad precedence.

As a side note: Men are NOT the dominant sex. Most married men here can tell you that dominance is a personality trait and not a physical one.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

lol, good point.

I created the men's rights thread and was bombarded with women saying all men were scum.

Looks as if this will turn into another male bashing thread.

Have fun ladies.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I agree, yet we ARE talking about the physical attributes in this matter.

And for the record, I absolutely respect tenth.....we just agree to disagree. That's why I love ATS.

<<   2  3 >>

join