It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of records broken: Jet stream pulled up towards Canada, out of whack says meteorologists

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Canada shouldn't have to worry about Tornadoes too much. Tornadoes rarely form fully over forests.

HMMM...What was it I hid from in my cellar, then??? LOL! All joking aside, not all of Canada is forest covered. Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba (occasionally other parts of Canada too) frequently experience tornados.
Sheesh! get your facts straight!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ookie
That map is wrong as hell. It says it is not above freezing anywhere in country. I can assure you, it is no 30 degrees outside. It is 100. [/quote

CELCIUS....Hellllloooo! ..or were you being facetious

www.wbuf.noaa.gov...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Dyzan

I love how all of us Texans aren't complaining.

Summer's been great down here for once!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

The temperatures on that map are cool for July in Canada. We usually look to the mid 30's or 40's, in the summer, at least for a certain stretch of the summer.
edit on 9-7-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

Your speaking specifically for western Canada.

Eastern Canada is seeing record heat waves.

Western Canada just had one of the coldest, wettest june on record.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by murkraz
[more These dramatic changes make the forcast models for hurricanes highly suspect. Keep an eye on Emilia. A steady Cat 3 can do some major damage.

AX
FTNWO

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I just hope the pine beetle dies...that bastard is killing our trees (aside from logging companies).

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Michigan here. Things have been very different here for several years. I used to ice fish a lot. But within the last 10-15 years the ice thickness has been less and less every winter, with some years (like this last one) having zero ice. There used to be 3 tackle shops within driving distance but 2 went out of business. During a summer about 5 years ago I stopped in to the remaining tackle shop because he had a "going out of business sale" sign. I asked Ed why he was closing up and he said that the ice fishing sales had dropped to next to nothing, and those sales accounted for 50% of his business. He said the other shops closed for the same reason. We used to have consistently harsh winters in the state, but not anymore. We did have a huge snowfalls the previous winter, but then it would get hot a few days later & melt all the snow. We didn't even have a winter this year and a heat wave in March. Things are just wacky. In the city I live in we just broke our all-time (since temps were recorded) temperature record with 103. I miss the normal seasons here.
edit on 10-7-2012 by KireDj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

it for sure has been no summer here in Alaska either. Once a week maybe we get sunshine. The rest is cloudy and cooler. It has not been normal summer. The farmers market still not many produce no sun or hot enough weather to grow stuffs for norm peeps without grow lamps.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
On the weather tonight the weather man said "Here comes a cold front to Central Texas in July - Unheard of!!"

There was no rain last month which is usually our wettest month, but we just got over 2" tonight, and July is usually bone dry. It has been hot, it always is in Texas, but nothing as bad as last summer when there was no water and at least 100 degrees for 90 days.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

Nice to here from another fellow Texan, and yes its been great, it's 75 right now with storms starting to roll in. And i am knocking on wood as i say this, I hope it lasts. August can be brutal.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

I have lived in Alberta all my life, nearly 40 years. Boy I'm getting old. We've had record breaking heat temperatures the past 48 hours. Today has been insanely hot but the humidity that we are not used to. Usually in AB we have dry heat. Dry winters too. Alberta has seen extreme weather from -50 in the winter to plus 37 with the humidity today. Record breaking heat since 1964. Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter.

There is a major storm system moving in from the west. We're going to see some wicked thunderstorms. We've had record breaking tornadoes here in AB (87 the largest one that I remember). And if this heat continues, we are almost guaranteed to see funnel clouds this month. If not actual touch down tornadoes. I just spent five days in the mountains. If you want to see extreme weather changes and freak storms, visit the Northern Rockies. There has been bad weather everywhere this past month including landslides and floods in BC and parts of the Rockies - most of our hiking trails and river tours were closed because of it.

The weather is definitely changing and becoming more severe with summers starting later and winters being dryer and warmer than ever.
edit on 10-7-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Charmeine

I forgot to mention that the local power company has been issuing random temporary power outages in various neighbourhoods throughout the province. My gut says that the government knows more than they are telling us. I suspect more severe heat and weather is heading our way and the govt is worried about using up our resources - i.e. fans and extra AC running because of the heat. Either way, it's a bit scary.
edit on 10-7-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
This whole upcoming week will be below average for Fort Worth, TX.

Yes...temperatures ranging from 92-96 are considered a "cold front" here in Texas especially in July

I live is South Texas and while it is hot, the temp is 10 degress lower than last year. Last year I got so little rain that my garden dried up to nothing no matter how much water I put on it. As I type now, I got one heck of a good rain. I'm loving this!

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by RebornSeraph
I am an average man and decided to look into global warming with the average man look- simple max temperature for that day. I went from 2011-1988 and randomly picked 3 months and looked up their temps. I am not sure how the scientists do it or what math they use, but I figure if its GLOBAL warming it will affect us all.

Louisville,KY
2011 1988
Jul 7 - 91 96 86 87 91 82 91 91 91 90 88 91 73 87 84 89 84 92 93 82 97 89 91 99
Aug 7 - 91 90 82 89 100 95 91 81 84 87 93 93 96 91 84 93 87 81 82 84 96 79 84 91
Dec 20 - 57 36 39 43 54 52 33 26 35 59 53 23 49 51 60 21 42 52 40 54 48 57 25 60

Looking at these dates its was just as hot in 88 as 2011 with a cooling period in the early 90's.
(First post by the way!)
edit on 9-7-2012 by RebornSeraph because: Forgot to include day for Dec.

Yeah... This is why you should leave it to the scientists who actually study this for a living.

You cannot pick ONE ISOLATED LOCATION IN AMERICA and then decide that the entire globe therefore is not warming.

Climatologists deal with FAR MORE MASSIVE DATASETS than you've provided. You've demonstrated the EPITOME of cherry-picking. I don't think I need to say any more.

Also... in the early 90's, Mount Pinatubo erupted causing worldwide/temporary cooling of the planet. This helped to dampen/slow global warming for a few years... fastforward to this past decade and you've got the hottest decade/years on record.
edit on 10-7-2012 by NoHierarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
Earth changes.

Man/woman doesn't.

We are stuck on a "it shouldn't be this way" trend in human thinking. I am glad that I was not around during the peak of the last ice age, or back when we were warmer.

We have to adapt to the climate, not fix it as some suggest.

We've ALREADY CHANGED THE CLIMATE. Only the stupid/ignorant suggest that we just continue what we're doing and try to ride it out. The intelligent say, "Hey... we're altering the climate, it's going to have mostly negative consequences, we should probably stop." It's called making a wise decision. Just because climate changed in the past doesn't mean that it's all fine and dandy when humans rapidly cause it now. We're playing with serious fire and I don't think you've ever sat down and truly pondered the seriousness of what we're doing... it's real, IT'S REALLY HAPPENING, and this is the only planet we have.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
It just started getting warmer here in Seattle Wa. the last few days.

I feel very blessed that I have not had to deal with the heat that most of the nation has had to deal with lately.

We will eventually get screwed soon enough tho.

The humidity will kill several of us soon enough...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by totallackey
reply to post by NoHierarchy

This is what is wrong with hyperbole. There is zero proof for your assertion concerning global warming and the idea humankind can impact change on the climate. This is first-class bull cookies.

The fact remains it has been this hot before in the very same places now experiencing the abnormal heat wave. Newscasts utilize words such as, "shattering," when in fact a single degree or two is the difference. It is the nature of sensationalizing news reporting and the nature of the money-grabbing environmentalists to spin these reports for all they are worth.

edit on 9-7-2012 by totallackey because: clarity

I honestly don't understand how people like you can make statements like this and seriously think you're coming from a place of knowledge...

Zero proof of anthropogenic global warming?

No. Wrong. You ought to shut your mouth and go interview the world's climatologists yourself and assess the mountains of data produced on the topic before you make the insane claim of "zero proof". It's like when religious nuts claim there's "zero proof that we came from monkeys" when in reality, there's MORE THAN AMPLE proof, and we actually share common lineage with apes, not monkeys. Or when young-Earthers claim the planet is a few thousand years old... it's the same crap, different topic- you want to believe that humans aren't destroying the Earth, you want to hate environmentalists, you trust your right-wing conspiracy theorists, therefore everything scientists have worked towards studying is suddenly "not proof".

The news and science are COMPLETELY EFFING DIFFERENT WORLDS. The news does not accurately represent science. Do not equate their hokey, superficial sensationalism to what climatologists actually do. Also... money-grubbing environmentalists?? Of all the labels you nutbags throw at environmentalists, "money-grubbing" is one that just does not easily stick... environmentalists are some of the least money-grubbing people on Earth. Try talking to some hardcore environmentalists, they probably despise money and the economic system.

As for record-breaking temps... downplay it all you want, but we've seen increasing record high temps worldwide over the last decade on an increasing scale. This is not a coincidence.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Just got finished with the heat wave down here in the South. Just heard this was the hottest 6 month period in US history and possibly the hottest year on record. Between this heat wave, the warm winter, the deadly storm outbreaks...this has definitely been one crazy year.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by NoHierarchy

Struck a nerve, huh? Fact remains there is zero proof, just as I said. There is an interpretation or two out there of the data set that is present.

Why the hell are you bringing apes and evolution into this thread? Most of your post goes straight to support of my position. PURE hyperbole and strawman argumentation.

I have been dealing with this crapola for over fifty years. And yes, the environmentalists are making a KILLING over this, so do not try to pawn them off as penniless and pristine paupers who want nothing to do with filthy lucre. This is the biggest bunch of crap. There is ZERO true science in support of global warming and there is ZERO true science supporting the position that mankind has had deleterious effect on the climate.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoHierarchy

We've ALREADY CHANGED THE CLIMATE. Only the stupid/ignorant suggest that we just continue what we're doing and try to ride it out. The intelligent say, "Hey... we're altering the climate, it's going to have mostly negative consequences, we should probably stop." It's called making a wise decision. Just because climate changed in the past doesn't mean that it's all fine and dandy when humans rapidly cause it now. We're playing with serious fire and I don't think you've ever sat down and truly pondered the seriousness of what we're doing... it's real, IT'S REALLY HAPPENING, and this is the only planet we have.

Oh really...How? How has mankind changed the climate? Be specific. As far as anyone actually sitting down and truly pondering the seriousness of anything, I would think it is you that has failed in this regard.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join