It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Buckley

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Well I am late to another great artist party and can't believe I have not heard of this artist until recently. I caught the tail end of a song called Forget Her and then checked out the related songs. I was stopped in my tracks hearing these songs loud and on a good high fidelity system. Then I listened to Hallelujah and got chills. I recognized the song but had never soaked it up to fully appreciate the dynamics, delivery and message.

Jeff Buckley was born in California's Orange County in 1966 and died in a tragic drowning accident in Memphis on May 29, 1997. He had emerged in New York City's avant-garde club scene in the 1990's as one of the most remarkable musical artists of his generation, acclaimed by audiences, critics, and fellow musicians alike. His first commercial recording, the four-song EP Live At Sin-é, was released in December 1993 on Columbia Records. The EP captured Buckley, accompanying himself on electric guitar, in a tiny coffeehouse in New York's East Village, the neighborhood he'd made his home.

I then went on to check out a documentary called Amazing Grace about his life. I got really caught up in his story and music. Hearing him talk and his perspective, I realized he was a genuine avant garde singer/songwriter. He had a purity and straight from the heart storytelling. His voice and phrasing are so unique. Haunting, soul stirring, inspiring and joyful sadness are words I would use to describe my experience listening to his music. His influences are a big part of his style and imo he really cut himself a niche in an otherwise stale industry.

Buckley was brought up around music. His mother was a classically trained pianist and cellist.[18] His stepfather introduced him to Led Zeppelin, Queen, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, and Pink Floyd at an early age.[19] Buckley grew up singing around the house and in harmony with his mother,[20] later noting that all his family sang.[21] Buckley began playing guitar at the age of five after discovering an acoustic guitar in his grandmother's closet.[22] Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti was the first album he ever owned;[23] the hard rock band Kiss was also an early favorite.[24] At the age of 12, he decided to become a musician,[23] and received his first electric guitar — a black Les Paul — at the age of 13.[25] He attended Loara High School,[26] and played in the school's jazz band.[27] During this time, he developed an affinity for progressive rock bands such as Rush, Genesis, and Yes, as well as jazz fusion guitarist Al Di Meola.[28]

Source

Regarding his influences, Jeff's diverse musical tastes and eclectic performances were reflective of his myriad of influences. Jeff went through "absorption periods," like Picasso had color and style periods. Some artists who left an impression on Jeff included Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Edith Piaf, Judy Garland, Nina Simone, MC5, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Genesis, Weather Report, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, Patti Smith, The Cocteau Twins, Elvis Costello, Lou Reed, Merle Haggard, Aretha Franklin, The Pixies, David Bowie, Sebadoh, Stevie Wonder and Louis Armstrong.

His expressions are heartfelt and moving. His songwriting is deep and his guitar style is his own. He incorporates a little falsetto and elegiac moans, all coming directly from his soul creating a nostalgic space. He is one of those artists that, imo convey more feeling than thought and it is easy to get caught up in a sublime moment with him during his performance.

Jeff died while swimming in Wolf River Harbor, a channel of the Mississippi River on May 29, 1997 , a slackwater channel of the Mississippi River. He was wearing boots, all of his clothing, and singing the chorus of the song "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin. A roadie of Buckley's band, Keith Foti, remained ashore. After moving the radio and a guitar out of reach of the wake from a passing tugboat, Foti looked up to see that Buckley was gone. Despite a determined rescue effort that night, Buckley remained missing. On June 4, his body was spotted by a tourist on a riverboat and was brought ashore.

Man, I try to imagine what he and his music would be like today, and goodness knows we need some more great songwriters. I feel he truly left a/his mark on the world and I felt compelled to share his works.

Peace and RIP brother
Spec

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
All I can say is the Man was amazing...He modified my tastes in music profoundly...the simple mention of "hallelujah" gives me freakin' goosebumps...S&F for you

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by exdog5

Yea man me too. Jeff was one of a kind for sure and he really does put the 'amazing' in grace! Thanks for the reply

Peace

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I was trying to decide which album I liked the most and thus far it is the Live at Sin-e performance. Granted Grace is amazing with the band, but I feel that the Sin-e performance captured a single moment of divine artistry.
Which albums/songs are your favorite and why?

Peace

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Hey Spec,Love Jeff Buckley,Nice Thread,such a shame we lost him and all the beautifull songs he would have made,dont come on here that often any more,im more of a lurker again like when i first found this site lol,anyway always like to check out your music threads,peace Lektro

edit on 3/8/12 by lektrofellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Great artist - here is my favorite:

CJ

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by lektrofellon

Hey there friend
! Yea that is a powerful song man, and he is so unique and soulful. It is a shame he is no longer with us, but his music will endure time and fashion me thinks. I just can't believe I only recently became aware of him, but I am glad I did. The doc is pretty good too. Thank you for chiming in and have a great wknd.

Peace,
spec

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Hey friend
Yea that is a good track man. I listened to the entire album of Sin-e and was transported to another realm for a while. The musicianship and lyrics reek of pure soulfulness. Thanks for the reply and have a great wknd man!

Peace,
spec

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Found a link to listen to the album Grace in it's entirety. If you have an hour to spare, may I suggest giving it a listen. I just got through hearing it while doing some house work and it took me to another world. My pets did something I have never seen them do while hearing the album. They stretched out on the floor and kept rolling over on their back, outstretched as if they were relaxing at a deep level, experiencing waves of joy or ecstasy. It makes me grateful that even though Jeff left this world too soon, we were left with a gift from his soul, and I think it will stand the test of time and always offer comfort to the listener.

Peace

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Such a lovely voice

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I absolutely love Jeff Buckley. My favorite songs of his are Hallelujah and Last Goodbye. I was lucky enough to see him in person and have my Grace cd autographed at Tower Records in Boston shortly before he passed. Unfortunately, years later all of my cds were stolen in a break-in, and that signed disc is the only one I can never replace.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

Such a lovely voice

Indeed, one of a kind. Listening to Grace in it's entirety uninterrupted is an experience of awe and wonder.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by katydidwonder

I hate when that happens! Well, perhaps that CD touched someone else's life, but yea a signed copy stolen is a bummer. Thanks for the reply,
spec

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up Spec, I have subscribed and when I get some spare time and I'm in the pensive place I will listen to the album.

top topics

join