It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Higgs-Boson discovery pave the way for long distance space travel?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
reply to post by Numbers33four

Yes, you certainly wouldn't want the craft and its occupants to become massless!

The correct hypothesis would be, not to affect the craft itself, but to create a "mass-repellent" field around the craft that could slice through the Higgs Field at the speed of light. That way, objects with mass [the craft, the humans] could "hitch a ride" at light speed inside a massless bubble.

Would work in sci-fi, not sure about reality.

It worked in Star Trek, or was that Star Wars?

If I had no Higgs field, I wonder where all my molecules would end up?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I think the idea would be that dark matter around the spacecraft could be manipulated, in front spacetime shrinks behind it it expands, since we wemight know more about higgs boson and masses and gravity..
If it works theoretically(and practically), the people and the craft remain in a normal spacetime while the bubble or wave of spacetime around it pushes it faster than the speed of light
edit on 4-7-2012 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Again, all the forces involved with changes in velocity (which includes speed and direction) are the result of inertia. Deal with inertia and you deal with those forces. No hyperdrive involved, you just make it very easy to go very fast, stop going very fast, and change direction. A tiny bit of thrust would be all that is necessary.

But the simple confirmation of the existence of the Higgs boson doesn't really make the creation of a means of doing this any closer to reality.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Also, bear in mind, a round trip to the nearest star would still take 8 years (4 each way).

edit on 4-7-2012 by FOXMULDER147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

True.
But it sure would make a nice daytrip to Mars!

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Using this technology for a trip to Mars would be like your grandma using an F1 car to take her to the mall.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

does if ur smart enough,

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

What technology? Who knows, maybe it's easy to do. All Libby did was attach a little box to the ship with an alligator clip.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Mass is an interesting phenomenon. With a basic understanding of the mechanics of the Higgs boson I imagine that manipulating its behaviors could benefit the propulsion researcher of today. Mass is a wrench in the cogwork of space travel for sure. Not just in well known theory like E=mc 2, but in terms of hauling a mass out of our atmosphere and solar system. When it comes to how mass behaves at high speeds, research into the Higgs field/Boson should answer a few basic questions and lend some new possibilities for space travel in the future.
edit on 4-7-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Ahaha~ If I had an F1 racecar, I would most certainly take my grandmother to the grocery store with it.
Hell, I'd even use it to mow my lawn. (Don't pretend you wouldn't either)

The Higgs Boson particle is a really incredible discovery (...or almost an incredible discovery @ 99.999% certainty at this point); but for FTL travel, maybe quantum entanglement would be the key?
I guess that's also assuming we can be sent, like packets of data.

...I hope we figure out more....like...NOW

edit on 4-7-2012 by bojimbo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by bojimbo

The universe, in my opinion and observation, is little more than high quality packets of data. Everything about how the universe behaves screams "virtual". So to me it would stand to reason that by understanding the fundamentals behind "mass" (or how bits are grouped together in our binary universe), we could discover the key to using quantum entanglement to transmit a human across the universe.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
If it turns out that the Higgs Boson is the key to mass, then understanding it could very well lead the way to distant space travel. If mass causes gravity by it's affect on spacetime, and gravity slows time then maybe future space travel will not be because we can achieve velocities close (or at) the speed of light, it may be simply because we can slow down time.

If we can understand mass itself, maybe there is a way to mimic mass and exert a large effect on spacetime. Then maybe we can somehow use this knowledge to mimic a gravitational field strong enough to slow time to a mere crawl. In that scenario the velocity of the ship you are travelling in is pretty much irrelevant. If it takes 1000 years (from Earth's perspective) to get to you destination, but time is slow enough that only a day has passed for the occupants then you've traveled 1000 light/years in 1 day.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

u bring up an inetersting point.

When it comes to how mass behaves at high speeds research into the Higgs.

at high speeds,,the "what we see as Higgs",,is the Result of a Collision,,,this may not be it's fundamental char. tics,,
"its" state of optimum, efficiency.
,,might be differently influenced. with different charactueristics.

edit on 4-7-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Exactly!! It's theories like this that really start pushing the boundaries, for me at least, between science fiction and science fact. Just learning that 2 particles will communicate with eachother instantaneously regardless of the distance in between, opens up a whole new exciting world.

Since, at the smallest divisions of matter, we are indistinguishable from dirt (in terms of raw 'data') I would imagine the greatest obstacle would be how we could keep ourselves all 'together' on the other side.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bojimbo

Well, the universe in it's "physical" form exists, I believe, because it stores our patterns somehow. If we can figure out how we are imprinted in the universe at the atomic level then quantum entanglement shouldn't be difficult to achieve using an ordered mass of atoms. For this we need to manufacture true quantum computers. Again if we can use what we know of the Higgs field and add that knowledge to how we deal with mass, I believe those answers will be there, and are there, waiting for us.
edit on 4-7-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

What technology? Who knows, maybe it's easy to do. All Libby did was attach a little box to the ship with an alligator clip.

Wow it has taken me over a year but now I have finally been initiated into the ATS community officially. the mighty Phage has posted on one of my threads

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I'm a betting men, i think is going to paved the way to:

1 new technology how to use clean fuel (by removing heavy objects in fuel molecules)

2 the technology of of a more lighter or heavy products ( remember they wanted to confirm that the higgs boson exist, before that they didn't know why mass hold each other together, they had a theory but with out real proof, it was just a theory in the head, now they have real proof)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
speed of light travel for something larger than a photon ?

how does a body which is basically a bag of water survive the g-forces ?

never gonna happen

Ever ride a crotch rocket? Mash the throttle and bang a couple gears until youre doing 45. Feel the g force? Now accelerate to 80 at a reasonable pace. no gforce....

Ever ride in the front seat of an aircraft? Watch the ground speed on the gps, or airspeed gauge. I rode in a helicopter a while back and with almost no gforce whatsoever, the pilot cranked it up to 80 mph (100 air speed) we were around 400 feet off the ground and it didnt even feel like we were going fast.

What if it took you two days to reach light speed?

Speed does not equal g force.

Also inertia requires mass...

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Interesting arguments here that have nothing to do with the original topic. I like an all-around thread!

I know three things in regards to the Higgs-Space Travel relationship.

1. If it can be quantified, it can be manipulated.

Pretty much everything in physics backs this up... Well, physics we understand. We can manipulate just about anything we've learned to understand. We understand the general concept of gravity and the mass-to-mass effect. But understanding the Higgs will allow us to understand mass... and therby learn how to manipulate it.

2. The idea that we can't go past the speed of light baffles me. It's mostly the misunderstood and misquoted theory of general relativity. "An object of mass cannot be accelerated to the speed of light..." An independent observer holding a two flashlights pointed in opposite directions has achieved twice the speed of light. Speed of light to him, but the light beams, in relation to each other is twice the speed of light. Rubbish as understood by many. Throw in an understanding of mass and ability to manipulate how mass interacts with propulsion will take us to far away stars in moments, instead of lifetimes.

3. This will be the cornerstone of a whole new arena of research that will span many different fields. Construction, travel, energy, even music and entertainment will all be affected.

Heres to hoping for awesomeness.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

My friends, I have watched this gentleman post on ATS over the previous two weeks. THIS is a great mind.

Very insightful observation. You are exactly correct. Science leads to power. LIke the ancient Egyptian priest class, our scientists are the ushers of knowledge that can subjugate the world. the only difference is, their religion of science was more about Gods superiority and not mans superiority.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join