It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Life Experience Writing Contest [LEWC] [Winners Announced]

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

We've all had them... those moments in life when we learned something that changed us, whether for better or worse. It could be anything, really, but it had an impact on you.

It's often been said that the best writing comes out of describing what we ourselves are familiar with. Let's provide an opportunity to give voice to the things that have been meaningful to us.

As an example, I'll provide this little vignette of my own.

All T&C's apply

Title must contain [LEWC]

Enter as many stories as you like, but post them as seperate threads in the Short Story forum.

No upper or lower word count limits

Any writing form acceptable

There will be three winners chosen, based solely on the number of flags their story receives from your fellow members.

The contest runs until midnight, July 31 and the winners announced the following morning of August 1.

Winners only will get writer status, 5 'applauses' each and included in the Showcase of Winners

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit to add: The people in the pic provide above are (from left to right) Greg Cockerill, Jadea Kelly, nobody, Justin Ruppel, Cindy Doire and Andrea Ramolo. Meeting these wonderfully talented musicians and songwriters which complete the Scarlett Jane band was a high point in my life and one I'll never forget.

edit on 4/7/12 by masqua because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/8/12 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I will be submitting mine in the near future. I have two threads about my experiences working in the only nuclear power plant shutdown by the US NRC. I never really thought about it but my wide variety of life experiences makes for some great stories. It sure is an interesting read but my story telling needs help. Do you have any suggestions?

The Few, The Proud, The Exposed

The Few, The Proud, The Exposed Chapter 2

My story here will about when I assisted my Fiancée care give for aunt who had a stroke while living in San Antonio, TX.. They gave her 3-4 months and it was 7 1/2 years until she passed! If she would have gotten the normal care an elder receives without a knowledgeable advocate she would have only lasted 3-4 months.

The Toughest Job You'll Ever Love...

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

The best advice I can give you regarding storytelling is to write it exactly as you would say it if you were talking to someone face to face. Don't try to 'structure' sentences in any way because it soon becomes awkward. Reading what you've written out loud (to yourself) can easily show what needs to be changed. You might consider doing a 'point form' before you begin writing, in order to get a sequence to follow in the telling, but that's about all I'd recommend. Also... do it all in (ie.) notebook before actually posting, so that you won't lose it.

You certainly have lots of experience to talk about.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Hmm, I might enter this one

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
masqua, what you're asking for. Um, gosh. I don't know if I can bare my soul that much. Or that little. Am I that shallow that I wouldn't have a defining moment, or am I that insecure that I can't/won't write it out.

This contest I'm going to watch for sure.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I'm sure you're up to the challenge... as usual.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
A brief question, masqua. I take it these are to be REAL stories? I just wanted to make sure the Genre category in my sig was correct.

Thanks.

I'll be responding with one that changed my life. Part horror, part stupidity, but it nearly cost me my life.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Just to add, my essay.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hope you enjoy it.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Yes... the topic is on the very real things which we have experienced, descibed mainly in the manner which I used as an example in the OP. As you can see, there are no names involved, neither people or towns, so that identities are kept private. Whether there is any 'colouring' of the story is unimportant as what the main message it describes is what matters. I suppose I'm saying it's OK to expand a tad, like a fisherman might be tempted to do.

As a result, requests for proof would be off topic.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thanks for the clarification.....I gleaned that from the OP as well.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
*Dipping my toe in*... I am going to give this one a try! I'm a little rusty, but can't wait.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Coming Home

Here is my entry.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Here is mine....

She Has Many Names

It's been a long time...so don't nail me too badly.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
My first entry for the contest. Great topic also. This may actually be very helpful to me.

Welcome To Parris Island. [LEWC]

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I want to first thank masqua for bringing such an interesting subject matter out into the open. I feel that it is much needed for many of us. I would like to share my contribution as well "I was taught to be a robot" www.abovetopsecret.com...

I look forward to ALL submissions. For the writers, I must say it takes guts, and I am proud to be part of this with you all

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Here's my first entry:

Not today, Grim Reaper.

Being *cough* older now, I'm sure I have a few more stories to add. Right now, I have three other tabs opened up, which are the other entries I haven't read yet. Off to read!

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Here's my first for the new competition.

About as personal and life changing as it gets.

Closing Time.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Here is my first attempt at sharing a story.

Shattered Dreams [LEWC]

Thanks

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Incredible stories.

Well done, to all.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Here are two more entries. I just can't stop. I have written five already and have many more Ideas. I may have only lived for thirty years so far but I have seen alot and it's nice to write about it.

How War Changed One Man.[LEWC]

A Night Of Terror In Mesopotamia.[LEWC]

Wrote another one tonight so here it is.

Have You Been To Karma.[LEWC]
edit on 7/7/12 by usmc0311 because: added link.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join