It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The uk was going to be the 51st state.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I havent googled this properly yet but i read in the newspaper (daily express/mail) that in the 1960s when the UK was being rejected by the eu they made serious plans to officially become the 51st state of the US. Obviously the plan was never realised although as a UK citizen i am convinced it is still the best option for both countries we have stronger ties with America than the eu and we speak the same language and have a similiar culture etc. The same goes for Aus and Canada, with the rise of China and uncertainty in general the west needs to be more centralised and it is much easier for english speaking countries with pretty much the same: justice systems, language, culture, military command, strong business ties etc.
Can anybody seriously see the eu working with so many different languages, countries and interests all continuously conflicting with each other? and then there is the french

[edit on 6-10-2004 by ufo3]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Just stop. This is by far the nuttiest thing I have heard.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Now why would any rational country like Canada want to lose what they have by joining the US?

IMHO, they've got all of the benefits of American Society with none of the drawbacks.

If they join America...then...they'd get a pile of drawbacks...the most notably:

INCREDIBLY HIGH COST OF PUBLIC HEALTH CARE!

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This thread has no logical or a point. UK had no plans to become a part of USA and sorry to spoil your fun but i seem to recall that the EU wasnt called EU during the 1960s

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
It doesnt matter what the eu was called in the 60s, the french leader of the time was opposed to the uk joining the eu and it made it very difficult for us to get on board therefore there were plans made for the uk to become part of the US and if u do some searching u will find this is entirely true. Yes it is a pretty nutty idea and i know it will probably not happen but it is also a very practical solution (apart from deciding which side of the road we will drive on).

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Where is the source for this??

hmmm.....

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
If this happened what would have become of the Queen?

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
lol i heard this about a year ago on the news, (Skynews) and i cant remember what it was all about now..

Darn wish i had taken more notice, ill have to do a search see if i can find anything about this

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufo3
I havent googled this properly yet but i read in the newspaper (daily express/mail) that in the 1960s when the UK was being rejected by the eu they made serious plans to officially become the 51st state of the US.

Yeah ok. Go 'google' and come back then. And when was the UK being rejected by the EU?

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Its proving difficult to find any information on this subject but i swear i read it in the paper, as soon as i get some info i will post a link.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Originally posted by ufo3
I havent googled this properly yet but i read in the newspaper (daily express/mail) that in the 1960s when the UK was being rejected by the eu they made serious plans to officially become the 51st state of the US.

Yeah ok. Go 'google' and come back then. And when was the UK being rejected by the EU?

Here is some information on this subject it was called the european economic community and the UK was not admitted until 1971.

www.infoplease.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
We're not the 51st state just yet...... more like the USS England, one big permanently anchored carrier group.
We have the F15E and F15C units at Lakenheath. The 100th ARW at Mildenhall, along with special Ops C130's and Helicopters plus it's a busy transport hub.
Then there is Fairford with it's refueling elements from the 100th ARW and deployed bomber units when required, B52 and B1 ( I think there's also a huge ammo storage area that serves it too somewhere around Newbury).
We then have the big spy station at Menwith Hill operated, I think, by the NSA and Fylingdales early warning radar station for the US SDI program.

Maybe that's why Tony Blair / Geoff "the useless loon" Hoon keep downsizing the UK's defensive capabilities, they plan to outsource it to the Pentagon

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
If any American ever tried to govern Britain he'd be beaten out with a #ty stick. The uk being ruled by some trumped up cheerleader in a baseball cap, voted for by people in Arkansas (wherever the fu*k that is...)? No thanks, pal.

UFO3 hang your head in shame.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I, for one, would be proud to have the UK as a state of the Union, but frankly, I could never see the British going along with this and why in the world would they. Actually, many British citizens have wholly rejected the idea that the UK is in any way Continental. There simply is no reason for Britain, Canada, or Austrailia to surrender sovereignty, when treaties can offer the same level of protection.

Frankly, the more I have heard from Canadians of late, they can go straight to Hades and take my friend and colleague Loki with them.

[edit on 04/10/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I would rather start speaking French and sign the country over to the European Union then join the United States of America

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Overtones were made about this actually. It was a worst case scenario if the UK ever fell to a communist coup then authority would be handed over to the US Government to be held in trust until another free government was formed.

If the UK ever "doesnt make it" then it is accepted protocol to hand everything over to the US and let them hold it in trust for us.

But, if we were to become a 51st state we'd be the most powerful state in the union. We'd be double the size of California.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Frankly, the more I have heard from Canadians of late, they can go straight to Hades and take my friend and colleague Loki with them.

Aw, how sweet.

I love you too, Grady.

But, I'm ten steps ahead of you already. Thanks for the sentiment, though.

Truly appreciated.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Oh, I'm so sad...

It appears that Grady doesn't like me any more.

I can't Imagine why...

Those crazy conservatives...

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I would rather start speaking French and sign the country over to the European Union then join the United States of America

Not all of us are bad, Some are really nice people. Please dont judge us people, by our goverment's actions.

[edit on 6-10-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I, for one, would be proud to have the UK as a state of the Union, but frankly, I could never see the British going along with this and why in the world would they. Actually, many British citizens have wholly rejected the idea that the UK is in any way Continental. There simply is no reason for Britain, Canada, or Austrailia to surrender sovereignty, when treaties can offer the same level of protection.

I totally agree, though i doubt it will happen in the short term.

I would be very proud to have the UK as part of the US. The only country I don't want in the US is Canada. They wouldn't bring anything but problems to the US (unless you smoke weed).

I for one, would LOVE to see this union. We have a lot in common and could both benefit from it. Imagine how strong we could be together.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join