It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The uk was going to be the 51st state.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Frankly, the more I have heard from Canadians of late, they can go straight to Hades and take my friend and colleague Loki with them.

[edit on 04/10/6 by GradyPhilpott]

Charming.

But anyway, back in those days it was commonly called "The Common Market". That was the selling point to persuade a Nation composed entirely of shopkeepers [according to Napoleon anyway]. Of course you'll have to devalue your currency just as North Sea Oil comes online and "decimalize"it, decimat more like! Those were the days weren't they.

Duped.
Hook. Line. And Sinker.

51st state of De forente stater i Amerika indeed!!
Can't think what is worse.

MVH
Odd

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
I for one, would LOVE to see this union. We have a lot in common and could both benefit from it. Imagine how strong we could be together.

I believe those were Blair's exact words to Bush as they cuddled in bed one morning at 10 Downing St.

(You don't wanna know what Cherie was saying to Laura in the adjacent room)

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The United States of America should become the fifth country of the United Kingdom

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
First off.....never in a million years!

But idiotic treachery seems to sum up this 'idea' very accurately as far as I'm concerned.

The traditional British 'right' know they haven't a hope of power in the UK for the foreseeable (no matter what you say about TB & the Labour party they aren't the tories).

So here we are; some of these stalwarts for the British realm and nation (as they usually love to describe and see themselves) would now happily traitor their country and people to the USA because of their outdated and infantile prejudices about French, Germans, Dutch, Spainish etc etc people and a heart-felt dislike of 'collectives' and any sort of 'collective-ism' which they see in the EU.

Given that the UK has full representation and participation rights in all aspects of the EU I'd love to know how this absurd notion of knowingly and willfully reducing this country to that grossly inferior status of anything like mere USA-style 'state-hood' is meant to be in any way 'better'!?

Still, ok, your call; dream on those insane dreams if you must.

Thankfully there's a younger generation growing up many of whom are without any of this idiotic deluded guff clouding their minds.

A generation, it must be said, who see the sense and benefits of ever closer European cooperation - in all senses and not just this lame and blinkered 'we thought we were just voting for a market' myth/lie.....why not check out some of the books published at the time of the 1st Euro referendum. Andrew Neil, for one, famously wrote one back then about the USE that would surely eventually develop.

A generation who would laugh in your face at the thought of the UK becoming a state of the USA (especially since Bush mk2).....but then the British nation as it actually now is is something many of these people are pretty remote from too, so where's the surprise in them being clueless about them?

So, off you go back to your daft dreams.

(But you really should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.)

[edit on 7-10-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Omg just no.

i like being british. i'm a scot, and i see myself as scottish first and foremost, but i'm damn proud to be british too.

I prefer our currency, because the US notes are just lame, they're like recycled monopoly money which are about a rulers length compared to our notes.

I prefer our sense of humour, i dont know what it is, but it's disticly british, and i dont find the majority of American humour funny, it's to obvious, and there's not enough satire.

I also think ( i know this is really bad ) that our education system is better, an American from Texas asked me on our flight to New York ( from Orlando ) if there were really all the big buildings like in the movies? He was going to NY to become a Police Officer there!?

I prefer our NHS, not that it's amazing at the moment, but hopefully with some reform it'l be back to it's best.

I prefer our system of parliment.

I prefer driving on the Left, and with Manual gearboxes!

I love the UK

Tho i wouldn't mind the cheap petrol, cheap electronics, cheap cars... no no, scrap that one

I wouldn't mind the US weather too, and the skiny Californian babes

You can keep your Guns, and i'l keep my cuban cigars

Ok, seriously, i think it's great if we remain allies, but i think both our countries would get on better if we dont merge into a union. Although we have our similarities, we also have our differences, and it should stay that way.

Btw, you can keep your Jack Daniels Pi** Water and I'l keep my Single Speyside Malts too

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I thought Israel was already the 51st state. I guess that would make the UK the 52nd.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopdopey

I prefer our currency, because the US notes are just lame, they're like recycled monopoly money which are about a rulers length compared to our notes.

I prefer our sense of humour, i dont know what it is, but it's disticly british, and i dont find the majority of American humour funny, it's to obvious, and there's not enough satire.

I also think ( i know this is really bad ) that our education system is better, an American from Texas asked me on our flight to New York ( from Orlando ) if there were really all the big buildings like in the movies? He was going to NY to become a Police Officer there!?

Purple and pink just about every color in the rainbow with a picture of a Queen, Yeah I can tell you people in the states feel the same way about your money. Monopoly money was made up of all different colors I wonder which it really looks more like. But really Monopoly was created in the US not the UK so it would not be a shock if it was inspired by US money.

Its all about the Benjamins baby, Not all about the Elizabeths

British humour well Im not going to go there since we did get Monty Python and the Holy Grail. No British humour has topped that since IMO. I think you are right most British humour is distinctively British though.

As for the education system just find a list of the top rated colleges in the world and that should explain it. But If you want to judge the American education system by one hick from Texas you talked to on a plane
Ive been to England and I would never judge the whole country from what one moron said.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dcgolf
I thought Israel was already the 51st state. I guess that would make the UK the 52nd.

Well, if you go by the conspiracy theorists, Israel owns America, therefore the UK is the 51st, and Australia is the 52nd. But it's all a joke really, there is no chance whatsoever of any commonwealth country turning that way.

Ally? Yes. State? No.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Monopoly money was made up of all different colors I wonder which it really looks more like. But really Monopoly was created in the US not the UK so it would not be a shock if it was inspired by US money.

ok...

British humour well Im not going to go there since we did get Monty Python and the Holy Grail. No British humour has topped that since IMO. I think you are right most British humour is distinctively British though.

I guess you havnt seen Britain's "The league of gentlemen" series, funniest show I have ever seen. Plus Every US comedy show I've watched has canned laughter. I was also told that the US puts canned laughter on British shows it screens in the US. Why do you need to be told when to laugh?

As for the education system just find a list of the top rated colleges in the world and that should explain it.

Got Money?

But If you want to judge the American education system by one hick from Texas you talked to on a plane
Ive been to England and I would never judge the whole country from what one moron said.

Ah, logic always wins in the end.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   

As said, take a look at the best colleges in the World. Ever heard of the Ivy league? How about MIT?

You have a few elite schools. We have whole leagues of them.

Who said that the US doesn't like stick shift?

Tho i wouldn't mind the cheap petrol, cheap electronics, cheap cars... no no, scrap that one

Ahhh yes - cheap cars. We found out all about cheap cars when Ford had to buy jaguar and fix all of their problems.

I have to say though that the DB7 is quite the ride. My dad almost bought one a while back, but then realized that it was the same price as a lot of peoples houses

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo

I guess you havnt seen Britain's "The league of gentlemen" series, funniest show I have ever seen. Plus Every US comedy show I've watched has canned laughter. I was also told that the US puts canned laughter on British shows it screens in the US. Why do you need to be told when to laugh?

As for the education system just find a list of the top rated colleges in the world and that should explain it.

Got Money?

I never seen The league of gentlemen I mostly get some old british sitcoms nothing new. It sounds interesting though. I agree with you on the canned laugh or laugh tracks I cant stand them. I personally find Stand up and comedy movies much better then sitcoms.

About colleges I got a full scholarship to a private school. I understand what you mean though but its pretty much the same the world over. If you wanted to go to say Oxford one of the best Im sure you are going to need alot of money just like if you wanted to go to Yale.

[edit on 8-10-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
This almost made me laugh as hard as I did when I found out that the U.S Constitutional documents have a clause in there somewhere pre-authorizing Canada to become a state.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Often seems to me that people of the UK generally have far more in common with the US than the rest of Europe so I wouldn't mind the UK being a State of the US, but maybe it's not practical, so how about the UK becomes a partner in NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) ?

See what I mean? more of an economic partner. I'm not an expert on trade but I hear the UK economy is something like the 5th largest in the world. This would help the 'western' economy against far-east trading economies, with economic benefits to both US and UK.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Irma
The United States of America should become the fifth country of the United Kingdom

That matter was permanently resolved to our mutual satisfaction quite some time ago, thank you very much.

An American

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Me too. It just seems unnatural to drive on the right, but I guess the same can be said of the left by those who grow up driving on the right.

I also prefer my manual gearbox. Every time I drive an auto my left hand always seems to find itself resting on the auto-Drive transmission.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

As said, take a look at the best colleges in the World. Ever heard of the Ivy league? How about MIT?

True that there are "elite", cough, schools and colleges in both Countries.

But the GENERAL education for ALL, not just those with tons of cash, is by far superior.

As for joining the USA, I nearly cracked up. I don't know a single person that would want that. The US is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there and certainly wouldn't like to live that lifestyle.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Logic says that a country that is 35 times the size and has 5 times the population would need to have more colleges and universities to cater for everyone, yes?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join