It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mausoleum of Genghis Khan found

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
"The mausoleum of Genghis Khan, the feared military leader who founded the Mongol empire, has been found in eastern Mongolia, researchers have announced.

The discovery, announced Monday, was made by a team of researchers from Japan and Mongolia, including those at Kokugakuin University, Niigata University, and the Mongolian Academy of Sciences.

The whereabouts of Genghis Khan's actual grave has remained a mystery. However, data on the location of the grave in relation to his mausoleum exists, and researchers said the location of the mausoleum would provide strong clues as to the whereabouts of his burial site."

"This year, researchers found four holes, each measuring about 1.5 meters in diameter, that contained the charred bones and ashes of horses, sheep and other animals. According to historical Chinese documents, when a monarch dies, officials conduct a festival in which horses, sheep, horse milk, alcohol and silk fabric are put into a hole and burned every day over a period of three years.

While researchers have so far found only four holes, radar scanning of the area showed that there were several hundred."

Japanese, Mongolian researchers unearth Genghis Khan's mausoleum

Click link above for full article from Mainichi Interactive...

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I didn't know they hadn't found ghangis khan's burrying place yet. That's a pretty good find.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
If true this is hugely interesting (to me anyway)

Does this mean that those who buried him were executed in vain?

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by deevee

Could you expand on that?

Surf

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Isn�t there also some propheties saying something about Genghis Khan�s return?

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup

Could you expand on that?

Surf

When he was buried, all those who knew the location of his burial were put to death so that his place of rest would never be known.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Why did they want his location to not be found.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpr12r

Most of the known world would have loved to place his head on a pike even if it was dead already. He was a powerful nasty piece of work and the fear and loathing would continue to grow if no corpse were produced.

Also, ya just don't want the living digging you up and ripping you off.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpr12r

I would imagine he was buried with quite a bit of wealth, although im not sure that was a Mongol practice. May be they just didnt want him found.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Thanks for answering the questions guys.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   

If true this is hugely interesting (to me anyway)

Now that I understand you question, No. (Thank you for clearing that up)

Because if they weren't executed, the location would no longer be a secret and someone would have excavated (stole) the body and we would have nothing to look at.

Since they were exectued, we have a mystery and bunch of paranoid users (well me atleast) talking about it on ATS.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   

When he was buried, all those who knew the location of his burial were put to death so that his place of rest would never be known.

what happened to the last person who remained after putting everyone else to death?
Did he commit suicide?

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Probably more than likely.

He would probably had a certain amount of soldiers who were in his very close and personal circle...given them orders and one by one they were killed and buried in close protection of him.

The last guy probably did commit suicide but u have to wonder....if he did commit suicide...how did others know where to find clues to where he was buried etc?

Did someone see this go on and leave details?

Or did the last guy say stuff you...ima outta here?

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
here is a bit more info on Genghis Khan or Temajhin as he was born.

genghis kahn and the monguls

Genghis Khan virtual exhibit

Historical leaders

Genghis Khan history

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Maybe it's just me, but although this is a great find, what exactly do they intend to do with the knowledge of this burial place. Next on the agenda is probably excavation of the site, which the man wanted to be secret as one of his last wishes. He went to great lengths to keep his grave a secret for many reasons (i.e. looting, vandals, etc...) IMHO they should put a marker as a historical reference in this place and leave it as it was when they came across it. How would you like for somebody to come along and dig up your dead father to study him had he wished for a secret burial place himself.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   

This year, researchers found four holes, each measuring about 1.5 meters in diameter, that contained the charred bones and ashes of horses, sheep and other animals. According to historical Chinese documents, when a monarch dies, officials conduct a festival in which horses, sheep, horse milk, alcohol and silk fabric are put into a hole and burned every day over a period of three years.

What makes them say this is genghis khan (aka temujin's)'s masoleum? The pressence of charred animal sacrifices and the fact that its near ulan batoor? I am sure that the archaeologists studying the site had better reason than that, i wish the newspaper would've reported it tho.

Also, what does it matter what chinese records say about chinese monarchs? Khan was a mongolian. Are these records from the time of the mongol conquest?

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

This year, researchers found four holes, each measuring about 1.5 meters in diameter, that contained the charred bones and ashes of horses, sheep and other animals. According to historical Chinese documents, when a monarch dies, officials conduct a festival in which horses, sheep, horse milk, alcohol and silk fabric are put into a hole and burned every day over a period of three years.

What makes them say this is genghis khan (aka temujin's)'s masoleum? The pressence of charred animal sacrifices and the fact that its near ulan batoor? I am sure that the archaeologists studying the site had better reason than that, i wish the newspaper would've reported it tho.

Also, what does it matter what chinese records say about chinese monarchs? Khan was a mongolian. Are these records from the time of the mongol conquest?

I dont tkink they put much down on paper, at least the accounts ive read recently have been from other sources, Chinese etc. So id say they were biased. Perhaps they stumbled on it? It wouldnt be the first time thats happened.

[edit on 6-10-2004 by Janus]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Is it just me or is that 1999 Nostrodamus quatrain coming to mind....

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Is it just me or is that 1999 Nostrodamus quatrain coming to mind....

Whats that Gazrok? I dont know anything about Nostradamus, could you please explain?

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Draskens
Maybe it's just me, but although this is a great find, what exactly do they intend to do with the knowledge of this burial place. Next on the agenda is probably excavation of the site, which the man wanted to be secret as one of his last wishes. He went to great lengths to keep his grave a secret for many reasons (i.e. looting, vandals, etc...) IMHO they should put a marker as a historical reference in this place and leave it as it was when they came across it. How would you like for somebody to come along and dig up your dead father to study him had he wished for a secret burial place himself.

I understand what you are saying, but think about the knowledge we could get from excavating his tomb. We would get great insight on one of the greatest warrior to ever live on earth.

I would gladly allow them to excavate my great grandfather's, if they agree to keep the the remains in my country and study without damaging it too much.

Surf

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join