It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you belive in Santa Claus?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Do you believe that Father Christmas really exists? I'm especially interested in hearing answers from devoted Christians. If you're a Santa Claus atheist, then why? What rationale are you applying to the non-existence of Santa Claus that cannot be applied to the non-existence of your God?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Um no. Since I have to buy & wrap all Christmas prezies my self, and even buy my present each year & pretend it's from Santa even though I'm a good girl most of the time. How can you prove he exists? And are you joking?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

Santa Claus is based on various different characters, St. Nicolas for one, who was a real person, and merged with stories from other cultures, plenty of cultures have a santa type character, some of them not so nice lol.

the Christian god, however, has no evidence or proof outside the bible, unless you are a creationist, then us being here is proof.

I'm very very interested to see where this one goes, lol good luck my friend.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I believe in the spirit of Christmas/Santa Claus.

I'm like a regular Cindy Lou Who and I am a Christian.

Now the question is...Are you the Grinch?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by feelingconnected

And are you joking?

He's trolling on the Christians naturally.... but in a very clever way.

===

Anyways, I'm not a Christian, and no, I don't believe in Santa, and haven't since I was maybe 6.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Really?? Has this question really arisen...in June? ATS reaches a new milestone!

How can Santa be compared to God. How about the Tooth Fairy or those pesky Goblins at the bottom of the garden? There's a difference between childhood fantasies and faith. I'm not religious but even I can see that.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by feelingconnected
Um no. Since I have to buy & wrap all Christmas prezies my self, and even buy my present each year & pretend it's from Santa even though I'm a good girl most of the time. How can you prove he exists? And are you joking?

So, would you say that lack of personal accounts of Santa Claus reinforces your disbelief in him? I'm just guessing, but isn't there a similar lack of personal accounts of your God? I can't prove that Santa Claus exists, but then, you can't prove that your God exists. What's the difference?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I was wondering that or maybe it was suppose to go to jokes. I wish Santa was real hate Xmas shopping
. Yesterday at a large department store worker told me Xmas layby starts July 1st. Wtf ?

link   
Santa Claus is a folklore figure....I don't personally believe that there really is a Santa Claus....but I do believe in the happiness and the spirit of giving and receiving that this character promotes.

I also believe in the magic that children experience when they are little and believe in Santa Claus...we all grow up too soon...and soon find out the truth.

However...(like I said) the importance of giving and receiving still goes on.

link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
Santa Claus is based on various different characters, St. Nicolas for one, who was a real person, and merged with stories from other cultures, plenty of cultures have a santa type character, some of them not so nice lol.

Similar arguments can be made about Jesus and the Christian God.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

I don't believe in god either so

I don't believe in sh!t I can't see with my own eyes & even then not to sure

edit on 14-6-2012 by feelingconnected because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-6-2012 by feelingconnected because: Because

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
There's a difference between childhood fantasies and faith.

Please elaborate.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
I believe in the spirit of Christmas/Santa Claus.

As Kangarue said. I believe in the spirit of Christmas. Though I am not religious, but you really do not have to be to enjoy such a wonderful season/holiday.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
Santa Claus is a folklore figure....I don't personally believe that there really is a Santa Claus....but I do believe in the happiness and the spirit of giving and receiving that this character promotes.

On what basis do you make the claim that Santa Claus is a folklore figure but your God isn't (assuming this was implied)?
edit on 14-6-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
There's a difference between childhood fantasies and faith.

Please elaborate.

Love to. Childhood fantasies are beliefs made up by adults for the purpose of entertaining children and perhaps to some extent setting them up for belief in an entity for which no real evidence exists. These children susceptible to such unprovable characters are then in a better position to accept faith in a God later in life.

Faith is loosely based on religion and is made up by adults in order to help them feel better about themselves and feel as though they still have a 'protector' like they did when the were Santa believing children.

Religion incorporates both of the above and is made up by powerful individuals or groups in order to take advantage of these susceptible children/ adults in order to control and divide. It is probably 75% of the reason for the state the world is in today.

Conclusion: Probably best not to EVER believe in Santa!
edit on 14-6-2012 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

In my original reply....I am talking about Santa Claus only....nothing was implied.

As for Santa Claus being folklore....that is a well known fact among many. Here is a link for you to study.

link: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

In my original reply....I am talking about Santa Claus only....nothing was implied.

As for Santa Claus being folklore....that is a well known fact among many. Here is a link for you to study.

link: en.wikipedia.org...

Okay. It's just, I was asking on what rationale that can't be applied to God, devoted Christians refute the existence of Santa Claus. I agree that many things indicate that Santa Claus is folklore. However, I think the same can be said about the Christian God.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

AH nice job OP, i meant to start a thread but i don;t have much time to monitor it (at work lol). This thread will be my Thread today, keep me entertained!

edit: like your Laughing Man avatar from Ghost in the Shell, loved that series.
edit on 6/14/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

They don't sound very different to me.

In response to the OP, I don't believe in Santa... And if I had kids, I wouldn't lie to them about it. Nor would I indoctrinate them with religious fantasy.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros
Do you believe that Father Christmas really exists? I'm especially interested in hearing answers from devoted Christians. If you're a Santa Claus atheist, then why? What rationale are you applying to the non-existence of Santa Claus that cannot be applied to the non-existence of your God?

No but I do recognize a bait thread when I see it

troll fail

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join