It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lose weight before TSHTF. What do you suggest? I don't think fat people will survive...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

For one thing...fat people can go a bit longer on meager food. They'll lose weight soon enough. Ever see fat people that go on Survivor?

What's more important? The food you eat, or how active you are?

The food you eat. But, the combo of both is ideal. However, just watching foods can make you lose weight.

What foods are best for keeping yourself healthy? What activities are great for whipping your body into shape?

1. Ditch soda, drink water. (If you are like me, and don't like water without taste, use Mio like water enhancers.
2. Reduce carb intake (as much as possible).
3. Reduce sugar intake (today, there are a lot of sugar alternatives, and products you love in a sugar-free version).
4. Eat more fruits and veggies.

For activity, do things that make you sweat. If a SHTF scenario is your main motivator, start RUNNING. Do a little bit, and work your way up. This one skill will be INVALUABLE in nearly any SHTF scenario. Check into the Couch to 5K program. I know many who did this.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Being agile and in shape is definitely going to be ideal in a situation such as this. I will give you my personal workout plan, mind you I'm 19 so I'm still in the spring of my youth. Morning times consist of Insanity, and upper body workouts, I DO NOT use weights. I feel that in a situation I had to get and fast I don't want to be weighed down by extra mass. Runs in the afternoon along with core work. Bear crawls for a hundred or so yards and other workouts to work the entire body. At night pull up regimens and another dose of insanity. If I find time I will go for long swims focusing on endurance. This was kind of rushed as I am in a hurry, I will edit this post later with more detail.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Physical fitness would certainly be beneficial in the apocalypse. But I wouldn't overlook intelligence, either. Even the toughest Spartan could become the first victim if he relies on his physical abilities alone.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by disgustingfatbody
While the rest of you sticks are starving to death we'll be burning it, baby.

Don't assume the fat are going to be at a disadvantage. We think too.

As long as you are also aerobically and anaerobically in the top 20% of the common population your chances of survival are slightly increased. I intentionally keep 25 pounds on that otherwise I might turn a few more females heads. I work out 0500-0630 HARD 4-5 days a week on a military academy facility. If you can complete a sentence between sets, you rested too long and not worked out to failure and beyond in your last set.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

On January 3, 2011 I weighed 470 lbs. Today I weigh 275.

On my blog I have loads of low carb desserts, and a few low carb dishes. I have dozens of tried and true recipes for everything from pancakes (using coconut flour) to the best key lime pie you have ever had. In my family, the only way to get them to change their eating habits was to find replacements.

REPLACEMENTS is the key. Coconut flour pancakes are not the same as pancakes. They are different...but just as good.

I am not a dietician, and do not offer diet advice. But I will share what I have done with myself, since I have had results that have shocked people in my own hometown.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by chaosboy
Physical fitness would certainly be beneficial in the apocalypse. But I wouldn't overlook intelligence, either. Even the toughest Spartan could become the first victim if he relies on his physical abilities alone.

Oh I totally agree, I would rely on my intellect over my physical any day of the week. I'm not some muscle head who pumps iron all day. Studying neuroplasticity in conjunction with my training regimens and researching the wildlife, plant life, and natural resources of a few areas I see fit to go if SHTF.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
First off--I didn't mean "fat" to define anyone who's not skinny. I meant obese. I used to have a slight weight problem, but over the past two months or so, I've been shedding pounds (I think it's because I'm not eating half as much, and it's summer, so I'm sweating the extra layers off).

Secondly, thanks for the replies, guys. They really help me to think more intuitively about this subject.
edit on 24-6-2012 by XxNightAngelusxX because: of typos

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

I will never understand why people have such a hard time with this. People get big because they eat too much and aren't active, therefore everything you take in just stays stored in your body.

It's not rocket science, to lose weight you eat less/different, and move more. I don't want to hear medical bs about 'my body can't lose weight because of my ____ problem.' stop your excuses, eat different and move more, problem solved, problem staying solved.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SGTSECRET

This is incorrect. Yes, your weight CAN be attached to how much you eat/move. But, if we are to be real honest, it is more about WHAT we are eating.

Humans are not meant to process carbohydrates. It is carbohydrates that are making people fat. The US diet is carb rich. Now, if you move around more and get exercise you can burn off the carb energy. But movement and exercise is not a natural state for an animals. Animals tend towards laziness, and being at rest is a natural state.

I have lost 200 lbs in just over a year. I didn't exercise more than normal life had me exercising (i hunt, so get quite a bit of walking in on weekends). My job is, currently, a financial director. My time is spent with long periods of sitting at my desk creating spreadsheets and shuffling data.

To cut calories is a brute force way of addressing weight. The natural, easy, and low impact method is to simply cut carbs. Using 1 method you starve yourself. Using the other method you not only get plenty to eat, you stop the onset of diabetes dead in its tracks.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

It's not rocket science, to lose weight you eat less/different, and move more.

I definitely addressed that it is tied to WHAT you eat as well, but ok.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SGTSECRET

i didn't see that buried in there. My apologies.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Fat people wont survive because athletic people will eat them.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
In early 2004 I was 240lbs and 14% body fat and then a building fell on me. After a few years of surgeries and physical rehab I am now 235 lbs and 34% body fat. Morbidly obese as the standards go.

However, I can (and have) live off the land for a month with a small field bag. I can hunt/fish/trap and I hit quarters at 800 yards with my M-14.

I could stand to lose about 30 pounds and I know that. However, even in my "morbidly obese" state I still out do many "fit" people 20 years younger than me. Why is this? I have two major advantages that are not weight related. The heart to carry me through anything and the experience to do the same.

I still walk 12 miles in 3 hours with gear and I still lift my weight plus 100 pounds.

If/when SHTF occurs fat and skinny people will die by the millions. It matters more what you are capable of than what the mirror thinks of you.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This thread sort of reminds me of an awesome Terminator fan made fictional story i read (433,352 words). Pretty much starts at the end of Terminator 3 and with John Connor and Catherine Brewster coming out of the nuclear fallout shelter.

Here's an excerpt from Chapter 19.

www.fanfiction.net...

"We got the best of humanity to work with." Noah said quietly. "The ones that keep getting up again. Due respect sir, you were in a... you were in this fallout shelter the first year of the War. You should have seen the early months. The Prozac nation on withdrawal; the morbidly obese couch potatoes on a starvation diet… not a pretty sight. Eventually, we had to pull everyone still sane out of reach, let them slug it out till the cold or Skynet took care of them. Real psycho's coming out of the woodwork, doomsday cults, lunatics escaped from asylums and hospitals, cold blooded killers loose from the prisons… Hunger and desperation make people do things John. Bad things."

edit on 24-6-2012 by DaRAGE because: words

Fatties have stored energy. Doesn't mean fatties wont be hungry or feeling low on energy.
edit on 24-6-2012 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
i await the disclosure that the Drones that will soon be patrolling every USA city will have bio-metric screenings on board to target obese people...perhaps even list them as resource hogs... a form of domestic terrorist

the Drone program will fill the skies at the 1st BHO reelection term (5th year in office)
...the targeting of the obese should be on line during his 2nd reelection term (9th year in office)
edit on 24-6-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
SKinny people will be the first to go. Skinny people are usually weaker, feeble and mal nuourished.

If you got some fat on you ( which is healthy) your chances of survival have increased.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I'm sure I will get flamed for this, but I work out quite a bit and during my cutting phase, I use a thermogenic to help shed those pounds a little quicker. I have tried quite a few but, OxyElite Pro is the one I keep going back to as it works very well.

Now for the disclaimer. NEVER take something just because someone recommends it. Do as much research as possible as different ingredients affect everyone in different ways. Just because something is OTC does not make it safe. Pills alone DO NOT work. You MUST have a solid workout routine and a good diet. Otherwise, you will just be throwing money down the drain.
edit on 24-6-2012 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by strato
Fat people wont survive because athletic people will eat them.

In my experience The athletic people, or at least muscletards, and gym rats will be so busy admiring their own pectoralis major muscles that they won't notice chubby charlie having already drawn a bead on them and... BANG!!!... fresh lean meat!

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Btw skinny people are usually malnourished and during a 'SHTF' scenario I wouldnt want to be a little skinny runt. Even a bodybuilder is useless.

Fat people will most likely last much longer than a the average 5'6 skinny american runt.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I can't believe that you are unable to find information online about best ways to get fit and eat properly.

Personally, I'm not sure that being overweight necessarily means that you're more dependant on the environment around you and more dependant on Government handouts, I think that's a pretty broad assumption to make.

Many overweight people are incredibly strong folks that I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley after TSHTF.

I firmly believe that the first to go are going to be those that have mental health issues and rely on caregivers for their every day needs, closely followed by people with any sort of medical issue also reliant on caregivers.

Anyone reliant on medication will start to falter within a week or two, as most people don't have more than this supply with them.

Folks who are not reliant on caregivers but who have medical issues reliant on medication will start to die off within 2-4 weeks of a collapse.

It's not about being FIT, it's also about being street smart. People who aren't (there is a very large segment of society that are not street smart at all) will probably be next, as desperation sets in and people start fighting over the limited resources left.

People who won't compromise their morals will probably be next. In order to survive, you'll have to do whatever it takes, and some of these actions might not be very palatible to many people used to modern day society living.

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join