It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lose weight before TSHTF. What do you suggest? I don't think fat people will survive...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
to add I think it would be smart to strengthen yourself incase you had to yield a SWORD/AX/KATANA ect or some type of hand weapon other then fire arms.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
First thing you need to understand is there are 3 types of human fat.

If you cant name them and the order of their demise you know absolutely nothing about human starvation.

Your type 2 and 3 fats are going to be critical in maintaining clear thought.

As long as you dont have a problem distance walking, hiking with a pack, or gathering things in case you have to bug, then dont worry.

Remember this. Muscletards have nothing to burn. When they run low on food they burn muscle, and as the body slows down the muscle burn slows and the organs are eaten away.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
There are a few different types of fat and also fat that is healthy and fat that is full of toxins. Fat cells store chemicals for the immune system and chemicals the body can't detox at the time. Fat cells aren't all bad depending on a persons metabolism. People with little fat, especially if what they have is toxin loaded, won't last long without food. Ask any doctor, people with a little fat have a better chance of living through a serious medical event. If there are a lot of toxins stored in that fat though the liver will get overloaded and shut down. Think of all the crap we eat and how come we don't get sick, just fatter. Anything becomes a toxin if the percentage in the body is too high. Too much calcium can cause problems and too much salt can also cause problems if either is out of equilibrium with other chemistry of the body. We need these two minerals to live and remain healthy though.

I would rather be fat than skinny if the SHTF myself. I'll go hibernate somewhere. I can live off my fat for many months, all I need is a good supply of coffee and a few cookies. As far as survival of the fittest......I got guns and am a good shot....I'll make sure I keep my guns in perfect health

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Personally I wondered if the reason people were getting fat is because people know hard times are coming - in Newsweek it said people got fat before the Great Depression too.

If food gets short, fat people will live longer - and if there's no heat, a fat person would be good to cuddle up to. Heck, they are anyway.

When I was in the Army, my drill sargeant would tell us to only worry about running one mile and getting a good time on that - he'd say "If you have to run more than a mile in combat you're dead anyway."

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I don't own a sword so I'll just use a gun.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

We are designed to gain weight in the fall through many generations of necessity. Trouble is that for some reason we don't lose all the fat each winter though. Maybe we should get drunk all spring to disolve some fat cells or else just do the lent fast that the Catholics use. The Fish is a good source of ingredients to repair the thyroid and other organs of the body. This gives you the ability to get your health back in the spring so you can work in the summer to grow more food. The more a person stocked up in the old days the more they gave to the church for food stores for all Catholics. The government didn't need to get involved in charities and food stores in the past the churches did. That was their main job. We have strayed far from the old ways. I doubt if our Government has foodstores for the people for a month let alone a bad year. All the big wheels are going to go into their bunkers. We need to bury their escape doors when they do

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I do know that if the SHTF you would need to be able to accomplish a lot more than what you are currently doing and that you will need to know more about how many calories you will need just to survive. I am currently overweight but working my way down and my brother directed me to a site called HealthyHomeCooking.com. I was able to see the real nutritional value of a whole bunch of foods that I eat and I have been modifying my eating habbits so 1. I can lose some weight and 2. So I can know if the SHTF what I might want to stock up on more.

It's a good site with a lot of free tools to browse around in. Best off is that it doesn't sell me anything rather it just gives me information. Funny now if you hear the word free it really isn't but after looking around this site it really is free. Are some people really trying to help out for the betterment of others without a profit?

By the way just knowing what I have learned by browsing the web and hitting this site I have lost 25lbs. Needless to say I have more to go but hopefully I will get a bit more healthy before TSHTF.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Alright I read the first page and all of those answers suck. Here's how to get in shape without changing a thing.
Just start doing push ups. You don't have to change your diet or do anything drastic. Just do push ups. It's excellent.

When you wake up, do as many push ups as you possibly can. If you can't do a proper push up, do them from your knees. Whenever you're bored, do push ups. As many as you can. The next day you'll be hurting. Who cares? Do more. If you have a spare moment, just rock some push ups. It doesn't matter how fat you are, if you can lift your own body weight, you're good to go in a shtf situation.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dnawrocki

Evidently you have not gardened. You can take a piece of a potato and plant it almost anywhere and it will grow. You don't have to till up a whole garden for them, you just have to dig a hole. They even grow in a bucket full of straw. An acre of land can give a family of four enough food to live comfortably for a whole year. Some things like burdock root are good to make a beverage out of and they have good properties to them. Those evil picker bushes roots taste pretty good, after all they were purposely hauled to America by our ancestors. Don't worry, educate yourself. A few chickens are a good investment. Since when has hunting, fishing, and gardening been so hard? I do it for entertainment. It is important to have mason jars and lids and vinegar and salt. A seasons worth of firewood can be made in a few weeks and it's important to state that just because you have a big house doesn't mean it has to be all heated. We have created a society that doesn't know how strong we really are. A society that depends on society to survive. It doesn't have to be bad if the SHTF, it can be a reawakening to reality.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

I don't own a sword so I'll just use a gun.

WE ARE TALKING 1-2 YRS LATER NO MORE AMMO

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Folks keep mentioning bears as an example of the pros of being fat.

One key difference: bears are strong and fat.

Now I know a awful lot of fat guys who think just because they weigh 400 pounds they are big strong tough guys despite their 8 chins and hanging elbows. Far be it from me to correct them. Life will do that for them when their knees blow out from the excess twinkies.

As a side note I see the same phenomenon in women. They think because their breasts jut out 3 feet from their shoulders they are "sexy."

Whatever delusions help them get through the day so they can avoid suicide long enough to return to their tear-soaked pillows at night is fine by me.

Nothing wrong with being fat in a survival situation. Just make sure you are a "fit fat" and not a "soft fat."

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX

How do you become fit? What are your suggestions?

What's more important? The food you eat, or how active you are?

What foods are best for keeping yourself healthy? What activities are great for whipping your body into shape?

Please don't give me a random mainstream answer you find on google. If you don't know, then don't worry about making a reply. I would like facts, because I am a bit clueless when it comes to this particular topic.

How do we stay healthy enough to face the hardships of the world?

Dear NightAngelus and all ATS members,
The most important thing for any person who wishes to become fit, is that they truly want it. For whichever reason that motivates you to keep on with it no matter what. (sadly people give two #s about their health and that's why obesity is corrupting so many people around the world)
That is because fit has been synonymously attached to models and the vanity of been a twig.
If you think why people are fat, it makes sense; time, price, amount for small price, quick and easy. That's the reason people ARE fat, unhealthy, and NOT in complete state of will or thought.

So to be fit, first you MUST change your diet. You can eat:
eggs (no need to take the yolk off) , fish (salmon, tuna etc) and turkey ham try to consume as much WHITE meat for your protein intake as possible.
If you want vegetable protein go for nuts and grains any grain can work and in good amounts they can full you up quite nicely plus give you energy through the day.
Vegetables and fruits: okay so I recommend smoothies if your not much into green. Ok so what to do, you buy juice (apple or Ora ge) without any artifical adding like Tropicana (and if you know any better juice brands then recommend some!!! ) and add fruits or vegetables that are tasty and full of antioxidants! For the veggie part you can eat mushrooms, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, cabbage..whatever you like, there is su h a beautiful variety!!!
NO CARBS, NO SODA (not even diet sodas), NO SWEETS, NO FAST/JUNK FOOD!!!!!!!!!
Diet plan:
Breakfast
1 cup of cold water with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar (only for those who are not allergic to apple and not suffer of gastritis or acidity)
Smoothie: orange and carrot with powder cinnamon
1-2 bananas or oatmeal with cinnamon
Lunch:
1 cup of cold water with apple cider vinegar
(Chicken, turkey breast, salmon ) with lemon and black or white pepper
As a side you cam have any steamed veggies, a mix salad (fruits, nuts and veggies) or brown rice ( fist-amount)
Dessert : fruit salad (natural made by yourself with NO SUGAR)
Dinner:
1 cup of cold water with apple cider vinegar
White pepper and chilli (added condiment before cooking) omelet or egg scramble (1 or 2 eggs) with the same condiment and 4 rolls of turkey ham ( I seriously recommend butterball brand)
NO DESSERT

If you guys are interesting I can put more diet plans later on, I hope I was of any help!!!

*** apple cider vinegar helps naturally burn fat, lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels)***
if any questions, let me know!!

1 or 2 bananas

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I am over weight by about 60 pounds. I am also physically fit. I am stronger and faster than most of my "fit" friends and if TSHTF I will survive nicely for a while on my fat stores. Don't be too eager to be slim. Instead get tough and strong and build some endurance.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Oh look, a thread openly discriminating against fat people.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I'm not wasting my ammo, and this isn't going to last two years. It's only going to last at most three to four months till things get back to normal if it happens at all. There is a reasonable chance that something may happen to the economy and also the weather will keep getting more severe and cause many small problems in multiple places. Communities will pull together in many areas in this case, there are still a lot of good people out there. The bad people are still under ten percent of the population even though it appears there are more than that. Ten percent can cause a lot of problems that we can see. When these ten percent are eliminated then things will settle down and farmers will regain the respect they should have always had.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GhostLancer

i believe you are very very right.
if a person has just water the fattest one will be the longest living.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
To add my 2 cents to some already good advice here. I agree with the notion that you have to define "fat" as it is not all created equal. In a survival situation the attribute that will increase your chance of survival is activity tolerance. Can you run a mile? Can you run a mile FAST? Can you climb, crawl, side step, rinse, and repeat all day? Have you ever noticed the contestants for world's strongest man are not "ripped up" muscletards. They have a bit of upholstery. A bit of reserve is a good thing as long as you are in good shape cardiovascularly.

Someone asked whether excersize or nutrition was more important the answer is yes. It is like asking whether sunlight or water are more important to plant life. Excersize builds, nutrition provides the blocks. I personally like the paleolithic diet it makes sense from an evolutionary point of view. I think modern scientists/nutritionists aren't as smart as they think they are. They have not observed the human species for 10K plus years to really know what we need with absolute authority. So going by what worked well in our development makes sense. It also works from personal experience. When I stay away from modern or processed foods, and eat only naturally available foods I feel better, I naturally lose weight without even trying, and my lean muscle mass increases with little effort. That's pretty strong evidence for me. Being a vegan is a terrible idea form a survivalist stand point. Protein energy malnutrition is a terrible, slow, and agonizing death. Plus you wouldn't want to be all sluggish when the wolf growls, and it's time to run. All the vegans I know are pasty white sickly fellows who would fall over if I farted on them.

Whole natural foods, and MODERATE excersize. That is the key. Muscletards, and obsessive runners are addicts just like alcoholics, and potheads they just choose a more socially accepted drug. They are damaging their bodies by overworking them, and usually die in their early 50s of heart problems, just like a crack head. Even if the fecal matter never comes close to the ventilation you'll feel better, live longer, and be happier with yourself.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
So many excuses so little time for most.

Losing weight and being in shape is very simple for MOST people.

Excercise daily and cut your portion size down if your over weight and if you are eating garbage food try to eat just one healthy meal a day to start...SIMPLE AS THAT

I ran 4 miles at lunch today, what did you do?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by knowledgedesired

Ate PB&J and read this post

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Fat people will serve a purpose, they will be the first eaten by zombies allowing the elderly and small kids to get away.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join