It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ye olde vampire slaying kit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Victorian oak box complete with wooden stakes, garlic paste and vials of holy water up for auction

Casket contains set of rosary beads, three glass bottles containing holy water, holy earth and garlic, and a book of common prayer dated 1857

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... 1x7bjRg3d

The case contains 1) a rosary 2) crucifix 3) a handwritten psalm (Luke 20:27) 4) a pistol 5) four oak stakes 6) a bottle of consecrated earth 7) a common prayer book 8) a wooden mallet 9) silver bullet mold 10) a cloth 11) two glass bottles containing garlic paste and holy water

i.dailymail.co.uk...

I am surprised didn't know there were such things.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I want this... and not just because of my mother in-law.

I saw them auction off a real nice one on one of those reality auction tv shows. It was really old and the guy who won it got it for a steal. It is kind of weird to see a part of history where people really did think vampires existed.

edit on 6/7/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

I saw them auction off a real nice one on one of those reality auction tv shows. It was really old and the guy who won it got it for a steal. It is kind of weird to see a part of history where people really did think vampires existed.

Really, they were common?

I wouldn't mind having one myself, don't know if it would creep me out, but I love things like this.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Very nice ! I think if I ever come across some money, I may just buy such a thing.

I wonder how many times those things have been used before....

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

Really, they were common?

I wouldn't mind having one myself, don't know if it would creep me out, but I love things like this.

I love it too! I am not sure if it was what you could call "common" or not, but I do know I have seen a few, so some folks did believe or were at least frightened enough to buy one..

I found a link to that show I saw it on, check it out!

dsc.discovery.com...

It was a really nice kit!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I thought I would look for more.

www.bukisa.com...

A complete and authentic vampire killing kit — made around 1800 and complete with stakes, mirrors, a gun with silver bullets, crosses, a Bible, holy water, candles and even garlic, all housed in a American walnut case with a carved cross on top — attained $14,850 in the Jimmy Pippen estate sale by Stevens October 3–4 in the new Natchez Convention Center.

Are you kidding me, now I have heard everything, you think they ever used them?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I thought I would look for more.

www.bukisa.com...

A complete and authentic vampire killing kit — made around 1800 and complete with stakes, mirrors, a gun with silver bullets, crosses, a Bible, holy water, candles and even garlic, all housed in a American walnut case with a carved cross on top — attained $14,850 in the Jimmy Pippen estate sale by Stevens October 3–4 in the new Natchez Convention Center.

Are you kidding me, now I have heard everything, you think they ever used them?

I absolutely think some people used them! Kind of like the Salem Witch Trials. If anybody was different they would probably pack the kit up, pay you a visit, and consider it a favor to all mankind!!

And for some reason that second pic of the all metal kit gave me the heebie jeebies. I am not sure why, but I wouln't want to buy that one.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackmetalmist
Very nice ! I think if I ever come across some money, I may just buy such a thing.

If they did use them I imagine the person was innocent, hopefully, I think I recall in Europe they would dig up graves of suspected vampires and make sure they were dead, I imagine this is what they would have been used for.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Yea I saw this documentary on count Dracula once, they did this to deceased people.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Yea I saw this documentary on count Dracula once, they did this to deceased people.

Just when you think you've heard everything!!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I want one of those , looks like a great collectible item
edit on 7-6-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

The notion of vampirism has existed for millennia; cultures such as the Mesopotamians, Hebrews, Ancient Greeks, and Romans had tales of demons and spirits which are considered precursors to modern vampires. However, despite the occurrence of vampire-like creatures in these ancient civilizations, the folklore for the entity we know today as the vampire originates almost exclusively from early 18th-century southeastern Europe,[8] when verbal traditions of many ethnic groups of the region were recorded and published. In most cases, vampires are revenants of evil beings, suicide victims, or witches, but they can also be created by a malevolent spirit possessing a corpse or by being bitten by a vampire. Belief in such legends became so pervasive that in some areas it caused mass hysteria and even public executions of people believed to be vampires

Looks like they may have accused the living,
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
List of vampires in folklore and mythology
en.wikipedia.org...

It is difficult to make a single, definitive description of the folkloric vampire, though there are several elements common to many European legends. Vampires were usually reported as bloated in appearance, and ruddy, purplish, or dark in colour; these characteristics were often attributed to the recent drinking of blood. Indeed, blood was often seen seeping from the mouth and nose when one was seen in its shroud or coffin and its left eye was often open.[29] It would be clad in the linen shroud it was buried in, and its teeth, hair, and nails may have grown somewhat, though in general fangs were not a feature

This was talked about in the documentary,

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

The notion of vampirism has existed for millennia; cultures such as the Mesopotamians, Hebrews, Ancient Greeks, and Romans had tales of demons and spirits which are considered precursors to modern vampires. However, despite the occurrence of vampire-like creatures in these ancient civilizations, the folklore for the entity we know today as the vampire originates almost exclusively from early 18th-century southeastern Europe,[8] when verbal traditions of many ethnic groups of the region were recorded and published. In most cases, vampires are revenants of evil beings, suicide victims, or witches, but they can also be created by a malevolent spirit possessing a corpse or by being bitten by a vampire. Belief in such legends became so pervasive that in some areas it caused mass hysteria and even public executions of people believed to be vampires

Looks like they may have accused the living,
en.wikipedia.org...

That's what i said! I picture it just like when the villagers came for Frankenstein (I think it was)! Uneducated and thinking they are doing the world a favor I suppose. Being the hero. No telling how many died from claims of being witches, vampires, shape shifters, etc. just because they appeared to be a "square peg trying to fit in a round hole". Sad really.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

List of vampires in folklore and mythology
en.wikipedia.org...

It is difficult to make a single, definitive description of the folkloric vampire, though there are several elements common to many European legends. Vampires were usually reported as bloated in appearance, and ruddy, purplish, or dark in colour; these characteristics were often attributed to the recent drinking of blood. Indeed, blood was often seen seeping from the mouth and nose when one was seen in its shroud or coffin and its left eye was often open.[29] It would be clad in the linen shroud it was buried in, and its teeth, hair, and nails may have grown somewhat, though in general fangs were not a feature

This was talked about in the documentary,

Oh, I have read about that too! That was well before people figured out that your nails and hair continued to grow for a short time after you are dead.

And that description sounds nothing like Edward from Twilight...smh.

Very interesting thread indeed!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackmetalmist

If they did use them I imagine the person was innocent, hopefully, I think I recall in Europe they would dig up graves of suspected vampires and make sure they were dead, I imagine this is what they would have been used for.

I definitely would expect quite a bit of hauntings attached to those items if they were used before

Especially if a few hundred were killed !

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I knew they worried about witches, but I had no idea they had this superstition about vampires to the extent they had slaying kits.

Ekimmu Sumerian vampire one ancient legend

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by blackmetalmist

I didn't think about that, I am really cautious about that sort of thing

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
My buddy makes a Slayer kit-

Quality stuff!

Cuhail

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail
My buddy makes a Slayer kit-

Quality stuff!

Cuhail

Very nice!!! How much do they generally go for?

You just can't beat hand crafted workmanship. I don't care how much the big fancy assembly line costs... it will just never measure up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join