It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who need science when you have The Bible? - South Korea to teach creationism instead...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

A creationist group has successfully petitioned South Korean publishers to remove several references to evolution from high school textbooks, Nature reports. The group—set up by the US Institute for Creation Research in the '80s as Christianity spread across South Korea—says it wants the "error" of evolution removed from textbooks to "correct" students' view of the world.

Link

They want to get rid of the "error" of evolution and start teaching creationism instead. I find it very sad that such a scientific and advanced nation such as South Korea, will be taking a step back into the Dark Ages, meanwhile, even the nations that are full of Christians are starting to accept evolution more and more, even The Pope! And not The South Koreans are actually going backwards... how sad...

edit on 7-6-2012 by arpgme because: bad title

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I agree, lord of the rings was a way better read than my biology II textbook.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by POPtheKlEEN89

Sure, but that should not be considered science, nor should evolution be considered and error. There is more evidence for evolution than the creation story of The Bible.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
all they need to do is put evolution = good, creation = bad message in a starcraft 2 patch and the koreans will lap it up

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
An excellent way to sabotage Korea's progress. I smell CIA.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I don't get it.

Why not just teach kids to use their minds?

Give them info on various theories and let them reason for themselves! Encourage them to debate and put forth a logical argument. That is how people really develop intellect, being dictated to and provided a prescribed world view is learning of controlled knowledge, it's acceptance and remembering not reasoning.

I have children, if there is not a definitive answer to a question, why teach a theory as truth?

My girls come up with some very interesting theories of their own. When it comes to certain subjects the assessment of understanding should be based on how well the child argues a point.

Origin of the species is a great subject to introduce critical reasoning skills.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
What few people know is that good science is being done by both evolutionist and creationist camps. There happen to be many things beside the text of the book of Genesis indicating the world was created. I suspect that very few evolutionists have done their homework in this regard.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
What few people know is that good science is being done by both evolutionist and creationist camps. There happen to be many things beside the text of the book of Genesis indicating the world was created. I suspect that very few evolutionists have done their homework in this regard.

Obviously, it is talking about The Christian-Judaic creation myth. It was talking about "Christianity being spread in Korea in the 80s, and then it talks about how its grown and how creationism is replacing evolution".

I'm surprise that there are not more shocking responses to something like this!

Originally posted by DJW001
An excellent way to sabotage Korea's progress. I smell CIA.

Well, something's not right. Who would have thought that it would be a western religion to get South Korea to reject scientific development?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

Obviously, it is talking about The Christian-Judaic creation myth. It was talking about "Christianity being spread in Korea in the 80s, and then it talks about how its grown and how creationism is replacing evolution".

There is Scientific Creationism, and there is Religious Creationism. You need to know the difference, and I suspect that you have not done your homework. At least, know what it is, and what it is not.

edit on 7-6-2012 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

edit on 7-6-2012 by Lazarus Short because: mmmmmmmm-mmmmmmmmmm-good

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
In my opinion , Evolution sounds much more ... dumb ... than creation. Evolution denies much of our under lying science , so it is more of a religion than science. Science doesn't know how we got here , and our science shouldnt be based off something that has not passed the scientific method.

Everything we know is pretty much based off of Evolution.

However , without evolution , Science is pretty much screwed in explaining how life is possible. So they guessed , and turned it into accepted opinion.
edit on 7-6-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

It is Religious Creationism. It is based on the biblical myth. Evolution will no longer be taught! I'm surprised more people aren't concerned about how religion is ruining a very scientific country. It is really sad.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

It is Religious Creationism. It is based on the biblical myth. Evolution will no longer be taught! I'm surprised more people aren't concerned about how religion is ruining a very scientific country. It is really sad.

Perhaps you have forgotten your history - science was just fine before Darwin and his ilk.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

What history? I am talking about how Christianity is stopping a scientific idea supported by strong evidence (fossils, transitional forms, etc.) from being taught in school, just because of religious beliefs. This is happening in one of the most scientifically advanced countries..
edit on 8-6-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Threegirls

I have children, if there is not a definitive answer to a question, why teach a theory as truth?

Gravity is just a theory and so is electro-magnetics. A theory is NOT just an idea, it is an idea that is supported by evidence. What you are calling a "theory" is really a "hypothesis". A lot of people seem to confuse these terms.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

science was just fine before Darwin and his ilk

Galileo Galilei: forced to recant his views, i.e. to tell the world that the truth he discovered was a lie.

Giordano Bruno: burnt at the stake for making statements similar to Galileo.

More on religion vs. science.

Can you explain to me why creationists, by and large

1. never know any history

2. never know any science

3. keep shooting their mouths off about history and science anyway?

I've always wanted to know why you folk do that. Do you just say the first thing that comes into your head, thinking that Jesus will do a miracle and make it come true?

On a more serious note: South Korea is a very scientifically advanced country for its size. The rapid march of science probably strikes as much fear into the hearts of intellectually-challenged, superstitious Koreans as it does into the hearts of intellectually-challenged, superstitious Americans. Creationism is just a fearful reaction to science; its existence means science is winning.

edit on 8/6/12 by Astyanax because: of a more serious note.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Evolution is not science, it is a fairy tale for fools
edit on 8-6-2012 by SeedofAbraham because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Evolution must be real.

It is the only thing that can explain why some people can not think for themselves ( religious nutters )

And those who can.

A clear splitting of the species happening in modern times. Easily definable through simple and direct questions.

Even within religion there is a clear splitting / evolutionary process taking place

Eg... Christians openly state no new ideas or added comprehension of God has taken place for 6000 years or 2000 years. ( Depending on your version of the faith ).

Other religions state having all the answers is impossible. .

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

That is a very interesting point of view. We must not forget though, that there "WERE" Christians interested in Knowledge. They saw Knowledge and Love as important because of Sophia, those Christians got killed by Constantine though, for not accepting The Bible that him and his men put together as something divine.

So thousands of years ago, there were people interesting in Knowledge and learning but they got killed by the rules who wanted people to stick to faith. Now humanity is back on its track pursuing knowledge again.

It is actually scary how many people don't understand evolution. Even the pope admits the big bang and evolution and he had a hard time accepting and had to go to the museums to see the evidence for himself.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

What history? I am talking about how Christianity is stopping a scientific idea supported by strong evidence (fossils, transitional forms, etc.) from being taught in school, just because of religious beliefs. This is happening in one of the most scientifically advanced countries..
edit on 8-6-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

What history? I speak of the scientists of the 18th and 19th centuries, who were mostly Christian in the west, until Darwin and his ilk began to debase everything. Yes evolution is a scientific idea supported by some evidence, but Darwin was well aware that the systematic lack of transitional forms was a major problem to his theory. He was particularly vexed by the disconnect between the non-flowering and the flowering plants. We would expect, if evolution was correct, to find transitional forms commonly, but they are rare and debatable. The more recent ideas of punctuated evolution, with new species arising so rapidly that the transitions leave no trace, is just a cover-up. The fossil record, the lack of transitional forms, polystrate tree trunks, the preservation of soft tissues in fossils, etc, etc, etc, all are better interpreted in a creationist context - unless one is married in the mind to evolution. The recent find of intact elastic tissue and red cells in a T. Rex fossil would be sufficient to tip me over to creationism. Cells and tissues intact and elastic after 65,000,000 years? Get real.

To raise the specter of religion destroying all the progress of an advanced country is just the use of straw man or of a boogey man. There is a small but growing body of creationists among both the public and the scientific community. You are still fighting at the level of thirty years ago. Be aware that you just can not, with credibility, take the stance that creationism can be thrown in with hollow and flat earth theories. It is a full-scale clash of paradigms, and the evidence (properly interpreted) is against you. The situation is really very much like the up-and-coming clash between the gravitic model of the universe, and the electric model of the universe, but that is a subject for another thread.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

So we have one nation that has seen through the lie of the evolution myth / pseudo religion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join