It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN director says LHC will find God Particle by end of the year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

CERN director says LHC will find God Particle by end of the year

www.telegraph.co.uk

The theoretical particle, nicknamed the God Particle due to its central role it has in explaining modern physics, has never been detected and scientists have been working for decades to prove its existence.

Scientists hope that high energy collisions of particles in the 17 mile underground tunnel at CERN will finally allow them to create the conditions to allow them to spot the elusive Higgs Boson.

Dr Heuer, who was speaking at the Hay Festival, said the LHC is scheduled to be closed down at the end of this year for up to two years in order to carry out upgrades that will increase its po
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
By the end of the year? Right, well, people were already half way done with the year. To me, time is going faster. The fact of the matter is that we have two odd magnetic-like forces on earth, Haarp and the LHC. almost a push and pull probably. Whatever haarp is used for, the fact is that these machines are powerful enough to create some distortion.

In the end, by the end of the year, of 2012, we will know more about the higgs boson.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Wrong title it should say CERN director says LHC will need more funding

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
You're talk about time distortion is ill sighted and opinionated with no proof to back it up. LHC only smashes particles together at 99.99% light speed. How, in you're opinion can that cause time distortion?

This sounds like more fear mongering just like when people thought it would make a giant black hole and destroy the universe.

Also, HARP shoots nuetrons into our atmosphere, once more, how in you're opinion will this cause time distortion?

Onwards to OP. The godparticle will be found, however, it wont be the density particle their looking for.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AaronWilson

just shooting ideas. How do you distort time anyways

Do you really know what haarp is used for? or maybe the cover up idea of a weather control unit is that, a cover up. Maybe the LHC is just the mainstream edition of technology that haarp is already using, idk, the fact of the matter is that most of these are secret.

Philadelphia project en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 3-6-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
They are actually going to find pieces of God?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I agree, and thus, with them being secret, spreading nonesense about these projects is silly.

Harp could be anything, however charging the ionosphere has only recently been studied. We will find out in 100, 200, 300 years what ill effects could be had. However, LHC is rather open about what they are doing and looking for.

More over, I am no scientist and I dont know the answers either, but damnit, FOR SCIENCE!

I'de rather have our species destroyed doing science than sand blasting us into nuclear destruction.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
There was a roumor last year that they may have found the higgs boson after an internal memo was leaked , maybe that has something to do with statement .

Rumours that scientists working on the LHC had found evidence of the Higgs boson began to circulate after an supposed internal memo was posted on the internet.

The memo, written by four scientists working on the LHC's ATLAS experiment, warned the rate at which this happened was thirty times larger than would have been expected.
But it added: “The present result is the first definitive observation of physics beyond the standard model.
Exciting new physics, including new particles, may be expected to be found in the very near future.”
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Exiting times ahead

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Thats funny, cause I thought I may have amnesia, because I thought they already found it. Meaning, what? They are holding there secrets? why? Besides money

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
No they wont.
They may lead people to believe that they have found it but dont be fooled.
Remember Dr Von Braun and his chat to Dr Carol Rosin?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Thats rather a bold statement to make. I guess he's basing his predictions on the assumptions that

A. such a particle exists.
B. they have the right equipment to find it.
C. they haven't over looked it already.

It amazes me that they can get funding for such a huge machine in the first place, its almost 10 billion dollars so far if you believe Wiki

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

post by Jordan River
Meaning, what? They are holding there secrets? why? Besides money

No I don't think they are hiding anything but for them to announce the discovery of the Higgs they will need to be 100% certain of their findings , more experiments need to be done to make sure the data is water tight .

These things take time but if they do make the announcement it will have been worth the wait .

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

It amazes me that they can get funding for such a huge machine in the first place, its almost 10 billion dollars so far if you believe Wiki

My country is about to spend between 30 to 50 bn on new Trident nuclear missiles that we will probably never use , I would say spending 10 billion dollars on something that will expand our knowledge of the Universe is a better way to spend the money .

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
You know, between the bad stuff (War, international crisises, #ty economy, threat of nuclear annihilation and future world wars), and the good stuff (Finding of the God Particle, 2012's promise of fortune and glory for the souls of the people fo the world, the Deus Ex-esque advancements of mechanical limbs and artificial intelligence, the whole enchilada), I can't help but think one thing, and one thing only.

We're living in the most exciting time that has ever been on this Earth. And I feel lucky being allowed to experience this era in the history of humanity. Rock on, humans!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
What a travesty to science to make such a claim, but in todays messed up values to never let the facts get in the way of a good story just more BS. I have no problem with searching for whatever theories they want, but with their mind already made up I seriously question the judgment in actually being able to determine the truth when it confronts them.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Compared to buying nuclear weapons money spent on science is better, thats a no brainer. But will finding the Higgs Boson improve the lives of the majority of the people on the planet, cure hunger or save lives? Im very interested in science i just think this is a huge amount of money to spend in todays financial climate. If we waited 20-30 years to try to find it im sure the cost of the equipment would be way cheaper. Whats the rush?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Mmmm. And if they find this theoretical particle:

Can someone tell me what importance the Higgs Boson particle represents, ( If it exists.) ?

Sorry, I,m not a scientist. All answers gratefully received........in laypersons terms, if possible.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Thats rather a bold statement to make. I guess he's basing his predictions on the assumptions that

A. such a particle exists.
B. they have the right equipment to find it.
C. they haven't over looked it already.

Hi Phoe,

Do you know how much of the cash is American taxpayers?
Even if they can prove the particle is there, then what?
What has the return been so far?
And if the particle is already there what will even change?
It is not like they are making some new type matter.
So if it is there and it's been there What is the reward for the people's investments? Bigger scientific EGOS.lol
Cheers ljb

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

But will finding the Higgs Boson improve the lives of the majority of the people on the planet, cure hunger or save lives?

Not directly but the hunt for the Higgs is just a small part of the experiments being performed at CERN.
Don't forget that there are spin offs from experiments performed at CERN that do benefit us in the real world , we are conversing via one of those spin offs , the world wide web .

Here's a list of other benefits that have come from CERN
Benefits of basic science

edit on 3-6-2012 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
You guys can't jump to the conclusion that they are "hiding" anything there just because you have no knowledge of particle physics and quantum chromodynamics.

The Higgs Boson is a hypothetical massive elementary particle that is predicted to exist by the Standard Model (SM) of particle physics. Its existence is postulated as a means of resolving inconsistencies in the Standard Model. Experiments attempting to find the particle are currently being performed using the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, and were performed at Fermilab's Tevatron until Tevatron's closure in late 2011. On 12 December 2011, the ATLAS collaboration at the LHC found that a Higgs mass in the range from 145 to 206 GeV was excluded at the 95% confidence level. Theories that do not need the Higgs boson also exist and would be considered if the existence of the Higgs Boson was ruled out. They are described as Higgsless models. The theory proposed in this webpage is one of these Higgsless Models.

(Source: higgs-bozon.org)

A few months ago, when I was still living in Germany the message went through the news that they had NOT been able to find the Higgs boson yet, so YES, they are still searching.

To the question if it benifits and impacts us, on a short term - No. On a long term - Yes.
Finding the "god particle" (if you will), is an essential key to confirming all modern physics theories. If in fact it exists, we know that we are on the right track, if not, many theories (and probably modern physics) have to be rewritten.
It is also the first step in the direction of time travel and/or long distance space travel, as it would prove the higgs field exists.
All of this is very complex stuff, and if you would like to read into it further I would recommend this page:
higgs-boson.org

Sorry guys, but this time there is no conspiracy here..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join