It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Networks Say You're Breaking The Law When You Skip Commercials

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagesticEsoteric
reply to post by Daedal

So, if I understand this correctly, they are ticked off because the companies that advertise and support the networks aren't able to reach the CONSUMERS through commercials.

If we are not forced to see all of the new trinkets and toys and products that we are supposed to BUY to make us happy and content....the big corporations could potentially be losing profits.

If my assumptions are wrong...someone please enlighten me.

Otherwise, what a crock!

edit on 27-5-2012 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

No they are mad that DISH has a contract with them to show copyrighted material. DISH is then editing that copyrighted material and showing only a portion of it, which is breaking their contract and also a violation of federal copyright laws. It would be like me agreeing to give you something I created for you to display and make money off of, so long as you show some of my other work as well so I make some money ass well, and you taking it and displaying it and never showing any of my other work.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
So if I dont watch the adverts.
I break the law?

No more going to toilet at the adverts!

has any one read the book, Solaris - Lem Stanislaw - 1961?
in it some one goes through just this same thing.

and he advertises the Box on TV (in the book).
they try to stop him and lose.

Another person with zero reading or comprehension skills. You clearly have zero clue about the actual lawsuit or the reasons for it.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
They're claiming that Dish Network is "rebroadcasting" programming by giving cx's the ability to skip commercials.

However, the actual content of the TV program actually isn't changing, just the content of the commercials.

I remember when Hollywood studios took SONY to court for the VCR when this came out too because they thought it was copyright infringement.

Commercials are part of the program. The networks send the information to DISH to rebroadcast. DISH does not have the right to decide what portion it will show and what it wont.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by thebtheb

I have been watching TV for 65 years. I was about four when we got the first television on the block. I have been watching commercials for 65 years. Photography and Videography and were some of the many things I have done.
I shot a few local commercials and a few Magazine ads and always went home to watch more TV shows. I put up with the bad commercials and enjoyed the good commercials and went back to the entertainment. I can't believe there are 7 pages of comments here.
Quoting a line from Burn Notice "You ATS are bunch of Bitchy little girls"

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
This is just ridiculous. If you're already paying the television bill, then you should be allowed to watch tv in any way you want to. I don't think that in something you already legally paid for, you shouldn't have to sit and watch some third party's advertisement crap. Here's a tip to the advertizers: Commercials are annoying and no one enjoys watching them. We watch television for the programs, not the ads.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
So do I have to watch adverts
even when I dont have a TV?

If they win this we are truly slaves.
next we will HAVE to buy things from them!!!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
While its a misnomer to say it is "illegal'" (it isn't a crime. This is what you capitalism lovers want. Have fun.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I'd give up if I were you mate, ATS's idiot/sensible person ratio is way out of whack.

As you can see on this same page, he has ignored your reply and carried on making stupid remarks about being forced to watch adverts even if he has no TV at all. I've tried to clarify this point 4 times now and it still hasn't sunk in for many.

I don't even think people read threads any more before replying or check the background of the story, they just see-believe-post idiotic reply.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal
"The networks are accusing Dish of "inducing" copyright infringement. That's a legal theory first created in the record labels' case against peer-to-peer software maker Grokster. The problem for the networks is that a technology maker, service, or other middleman can't be held liable for inducing copyright infringement unless their customers are actually infringing. And that means the networks will have to convince a judge that people who record a TV show, and later decide to skip over the commercials during playback, are violating federal law."

Well I don't own one of these devices, but do know people who do, don't watch much television for that matter. Hopefully, the courts won't turn millions of American commercial-skippers into lawbreakers.

eff.org

Television networks are having a busy month trying to stamp out new TV-watching technology, including telling a court that skipping a commercial while watching a recorded show is illegal. Yesterday, Fox, NBC, and CBS all sued Dish Network over its digital video recorder with automatic commercial-skipping. The same networks, plus ABC, Univision, and PBS, are gearing up for a May 30 hearing in their cases against Aereo, a New York startup bringing local broadcast TV to the Internet. EFF and Public Knowledge filed an amicus brief supporting Aereo this week.

edit on 26-5-2012 by Daedal because: Edit

eff must stand for the 'F WORD' because I'm exclusively using it multiple times just reading this.

Go ahead. Sue them. Because you know it's completely IMMORAL to end their brainwashing and mind control through the media.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Brainwashing?

They are frickin' commercials.. and have been around since the advent of radio and tv. It's how they MAKE MONEY. Holy crap people.. if you don't like it, don't watch it! And most folks who have something like Tivo just fast fowards through them anyway.

If you use ANY PRODUCT, you use something advertised on TV, unless you live in a cave.. which I don't doubt some folks here actually do. But for most normal folks, you DO buy stuff that is advertised. Big deal. Why anyone would get in an uproar over this boggles my mind. These stations have every right to be angry that a service offers a way to completely bypass their prime means of revenue. Many of you want something for nothing. Such greedy people.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
reply to post by Daedal

People, just go down to your local thrift store and buy a few VCR machines (one to use, a couple for backup). There is nothing like an old VCR to tape a show and skip the commercials. Many machines come with slots for VCR and DVD's.

But it is not in HD or 3D with 15.9 surround

They have invented hard disk recording recently. It is pretty amazing and means that you do not have to fast forward a tape. Plus tapes wear out after a while. Can you still even buy tapes?

good idea though

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma

Originally posted by Aleister
reply to post by Daedal

People, just go down to your local thrift store and buy a few VCR machines (one to use, a couple for backup). There is nothing like an old VCR to tape a show and skip the commercials. Many machines come with slots for VCR and DVD's.

But it is not in HD or 3D with 15.9 surround

They have invented hard disk recording recently. It is pretty amazing and means that you do not have to fast forward a tape. Plus tapes wear out after a while. Can you still even buy tapes?

good idea though

It's not a good idea, it's a stupid idea borne out of ignorance and not understanding the issue here..

I'll let you figure out what I mean, after all, it has been mentioned on the last page 3 times alone...

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
The tv show is the commercial it's all product placement so the only way to "skip the commercials " is to turn off the tv altogether

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
It amazes me how, given the apparent lack of reading comprehension, a lot of people with posts on this thread managed to even turn their computers on.

So many people accept the interpretation of the OP without ever reading the source material or finding other sources to confirm the OP's interpretation. A far too common occurrence on ATS.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
"By the way, if anyone here is in advertising or marketing, kill yourself. Thank you, thank you. Just a little thought. I'm just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day they'll take root. I don't know. You try. You do what you can. Kill yourselves. Seriously though, if you are, do. No really, there's no rationalization for what you do, and you are Satan's little helpers, OK? Kill yourselves, seriously. You're the ruiner of all things good. Seriously, no, this is not a joke. "There's gonna be a joke coming..." There's no f***ing joke coming, you are Satan's spawn, filling the world with bile and garbage, you are f***ed and you are f***ing us, kill yourselves, it's the only way to save your f***ing soul. Kill yourself, kill yourself, kill yourself now. Suck a tail pipe, hang yourself...borrow a pistol from an NRA buddy, do something... rid the world of your evil f***ing presence."

"Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye."

~ Bill Hicks

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Am i the only one who likes commercials...?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
So who is paying for the service? If the consumer is, then he should be able to buy tech that automatically blocks commercials. If these companies want to say the commercials pay for the shows, then why aren't the shows free for all to see, and why does the consumer have to pay a cable bill.

I have posted threads about how Advertising is the reason for the downfall of civilization as we know it. As soon as advertising goes away, we will be able to get back to living. Just think how much you could do with all of the time spent in your life waiting for an advertisement to be over. Add up the time spent on them and you will be amazed, it counts to years for most people. There is not an advertisement out there that is for something you actually need. The world would be just fine without most of these companies.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I used to be glued to tv. I mean glued. Mindlessly watching it, turning into a freakin' mouth breather no doubt, all slack jawed and just staring, staring, occasionally laughing at parts, etc.

Got SO tired of commercials, especially when they'd play the same one back to back. Ugh.
So I'd change channels. Then you get into another show and forget the one you were watching and it was so annoying.

I gave up tv fully almost a year ago and have NOT missed it.

Now I just sit at my internet.... no doubt a mouth breather now and then, occaisionally letting out a laugh at things I see.

but I don't have commercials.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
So do I have to watch adverts
even when I dont have a TV?

If they win this we are truly slaves.
next we will HAVE to buy things from them!!!

Why do you keep posting with zero comprehension of the facts or what is going on? Stop, you are embarassing yourself.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeatherofMaat
While its a misnomer to say it is "illegal'" (it isn't a crime. This is what you capitalism lovers want. Have fun.

Actually it is, they are breaking copyright laws. Why do you think a company should be able to break copyright laws?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join