It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here Are The 5 Worst Places To Be When The Dollar Collapses

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

Yeah, I wish more people would answer that too.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdAstra

My, nothing like an "alternative" website to find wallowing in doom and gloom....

OK, I have two questions:

1.) If things were to come to that, why would you even WANT to surivive?
What can you realistically look forward to?
It's not like you're going to live forever. So why even want to prolongue your existence if all you have to look forward to is fear of violence, famine, sundry infections and diseases, pain, etc. - and in the end you die anyway?

2.) What are your plans for WHEN the dollar - and the euro - do not collapse?
It's a perfectly serious question.

1) same thing I did during the 11 day power outage, continue to live best I can, and make sure family and neighbors are safe. Try to assist where I can and if I can't offer at least moral support to those around me, it worked for 11 days, with noone wanting to kill each other (and none of us had computers cell phones died pretty quick, phone lines were down, cable lines were out)

2) Same thing I'm doing now, working, paying bills, complaining...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

I hear you.

But it sounded like a lot of people are anticipating a devastated world that would take many years to rebuild, provided there were enough people to rebuild it.
It's to them that th first question was addressed: WHY would you even want to survive with such prospects - dark, lonely, dangerous and possibly diseased decades - ahead of you?

edit on 24-5-2012 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I live on Maui and in my opinion I live in one of the best places (if not the best place, unless you have your own private island) if the dollar collapses or tshtf. I think most of the Hawaiian islands except Oahu are great places to be in either scenario, it's a great place in terms a self sufficiency and great community. The "Aloha" lifestyle and mentality here is real.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

reply to post by vkey08

I hear you.

But it sounded like a lot of people are anticipating a devastated world that would take many years to rebuild, provided there were enough people to rebuild it.
It's to them that th first question was addressed: WHY would you even want to survive with such prospects - dark, lonely, dangerous and possibly diseased decades - ahead of you?

I think ina situation like that, small areas like mine will all come together and try our best to make do.. When there is some hope, it's amazing what people will do to achieve that hope no matter the odds, including a devastated world that needs rebuilding, who knows out of those ashes may come the next great discovery, made by necessity... not for profits...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I'm sure my fellow nutmeggers have lots of goodies stored up for that big day, I'll just commandeer an estate and shoot off anyone who has the same idea !

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Not to sound preachy but haven't people in other communities from different countries been living without currency just fine? And is your money problem really as bad as you think? I bet homeless men have it better than some kids that feed themselves without any help.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I mean you guys have computers with some Internet connection and people in some other areas of the world don't have calculators

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

My, nothing like an "alternative" website to find wallowing in doom and gloom....

OK, I have two questions:

1.) If things were to come to that, why would you even WANT to surivive?
What can you realistically look forward to?
It's not like you're going to live forever. So why even want to prolongue your existence if all you have to look forward to is fear of violence, famine, sundry infections and diseases, pain, etc. - and in the end you die anyway?

2.) What are your plans for WHEN the dollar - and the euro - do not collapse?
It's a perfectly serious question.

1.) Because you should never give in regardless how useless the situation may seem. That is strength that helped insure the survival of our species. There is also some good that could come out of it all too. It could be the break that the earth is looking for. The destruction of our environment will slow dramatically, which would give the earth and its creatures time to recuperate from the beating that mankind has inflicted. Also, man kind could come out from this whole experience a better, and more evolved species.

2.) College

edit on 24-5-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-5-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
What are the 5 BEST places to be when it collapses?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I think whatever level of S hitting the F you want to envisage, we can all draw on a parallel that is not too far in the distant past.

The days during and moreso after WW2.

A majority of people tended to allotments, rationing was in place, and people in an astonishing show of grit, determination, and defiance worked together. Luxuries or "worthless trinkets" were not even on the agenda.

I can only speak for the UK as a point of knowledge, but people in cities like London, Coventry, and Portsmouth didn't give up. Surely they had more to worry about than a few mercenaries after your cabbages!

I really think community and sparing a thought for those less fortunate or apt as yourself, will make the difference. Everyone has talents, turn your back on a person in a time of crisis and you may regret it.

I think people will cope (after the shock) of a currency collapse, far better than we give ourselves credit for.

Turn the TV off for the day, shelve your mobile, and hang up your car keys for a bit if it is plausible; you might surprise yourself.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
What are the 5 BEST places to be when it collapses?

This is not my opinion, I just found it, but I do think the author makes some good points. They break it down by region.

The Northeast

A major problem with the Northeast is that it is just so darn crowded. Yes, there are some rural areas, but the overall population density of the region is so high that it would be really hard to go unnoticed for long in the event of a major economic collapse.

Another thing that is not great about the Northeast is that so much of the population lives near the coast. As we saw in Japan recently, living near a coastline is not necessarily a good thing. While it is likely safer to live along the east coast then the west coast, the truth is that there is an inherent level of insecurity when it comes to living in coastal areas. You never know when the next hurricane, oil spill or tsunami is going to strike.

Also, the Northeast is really quite cold. So staying warm and growing your own food would be more difficult than in some other areas of the country.

The Mid-Atlantic

The Mid-Atlantic is one of the most beautiful areas of the nation. Unfortunately, it suffers from many of the same problems that the Northeast does.

The Mid-Atlantic has a very high population density. For example, the area around Washington D.C. is pretty much all suburbs for 50 miles in all directions.

The weather is nicer than in the Northeast and there are some less dense areas once you get south of Washington D.C.

If you think that the Mid-Atlantic might be for you, you might want to check out North Carolina or South Carolina. The people tend to get friendlier the further south you go and there are definitely some areas that could potentially work.

Florida

Florida is generally not going to be a place that you want to be during an economic collapse. The housing market has absolutely collapsed down there and the crime rate is already very high. It is also very densely populated.

The weather is very nice down in Florida, but one big thing that you need to consider when it comes to Florida is the fact that it is very flat and most of Florida is just barely above sea level. In fact, quite a bit of Florida is actually below sea level.

In addition, hurricanes are always a major threat in Florida. It is a beautiful state, but there is a lot of risk to living down there.

The Southeast

The Southeast has really taken a pounding over the last few years. First it was Hurricane Katrina, and then it was the BP oil spill and then it was the tornadoes of 2011.

There is a lot of poverty in that area of the country. There is also a lot of crime.

There are a lot of great people who live down in the Southeast, but if you do not know your way around it can be a very difficult place to move to.

The Mid-South

One of my favorite places east of the Mississippi River are the mountains along the Tennessee/North Carolina border. If you must be in the eastern half of the United States, that is not a bad choice.

Where you do not want to be is anywhere near the New Madrid fault zone. The New Madrid fault zone covers portions of Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Mississippi. The biggest earthquakes in the history of the United States were caused by the New Madrid fault. Many are convinced that we are going to see an absolutely catastrophic earthquake along the New Madrid fault at some point.

So if you want to live in the Mid-South, it is highly recommended that you stay far away from the New Madrid fault zone.

The Upper Midwest

The Upper Midwest was once one of the great manufacturing regions of the world, but now much of it is known as the "rust belt".

Formerly great manufacturing cities such as Detroit are now absolute hellholes. Tens of thousands of our factories and millions of our jobs have been shipped overseas.

There are some really great people (including some good friends of this column) that live up there, but the truth is that the region is really cold and unemployment is rampant.

The Upper Midwest is an area that people want to get out of. It is probably not a great place to move to.

The Southwest

In the Southwest there are a whole lot of freedom-loving Americans, the weather is very warm and there is a lot of space to get lost.However, the Southwest is also very dry and in many areas there is not a lot of water. Drought and wildfires are quite common.In addition, illegal immigration is rampant and is a constant security threat.If you are familiar with that area of the country it is not a bad choice, but if you do not know what you are doing it could end up being disastrous for you.

More about the rest of the regions here

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Good breakdown, and thanks for looking for them!

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I am going to throw out my idea, probably wrong, and I have mentioned it some before, but here goes.

If the US Dollar or economy massively collapses, I see the following:

LA, Detroit, San Fran,Philly, Chicago and several other major costal and northern cities go berzerk and become so chaotic from lack of food, fuel, water, etc that they probably are darn near burnt to the ground. DC and NYC too, although there the military, national guard, police might actually clamp down enough to have somewhat some version of control. This will devestate most of the country. But I can think of two or three areas that might actually turn out ok.

1. Upper NW and upper NE. Enough of a fishing industry that if properly mobilized could not only feed their local populations but possibly still trade with the world. Cold weather would be the big downer.

2. Texas (and surrounding states, particularly Oklahoma). Texas and Oklahoma combined have enough oil, natural gas, wheat and cattle, that they could probably leave the union and start their own confederation, print there own money, and become their own thriving economy. Wind power is also becoming a big business here. If you added Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakota's you add even more agriculture, the large subteranian qauifer, and the recent oil finds in the Dakota. Mostly hard working rural and suburban populations, they could become a real power house given enough time and leadership. The biggest issue might be with illegal's in the south, but they could take harsh control meausres.

3. Utah and Idaho will likely become their own mormon state. They grow about half the worlds potatos.

4. Alaska, oil and fishing industry. They would be fine, as long as they aren't taken over by Russia, which could be a real possibility.

5. Colorado, good natural habitats, plenty of water from the Rockies. Likely would go with Utah, or the Texas /Central plains states.

Anyways, that's what I think.
edit on 24-5-2012 by SrWingCommander because: more info.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

SCENARIO: Greece crashes out of the euro. Yields skyrocket for Spanish and Italian bonds locking them out of the government debt markets. Spanish and Italian depositors withdraw cash in panic over the possibility of their countries leaving the euro zone, too. Global equity markets sink. Investors pile into U.S. markets as a safe haven. The U.S. dollar soars as the euro plunges. European banks face funding shortages as investors shun the euro zone and the banking system seizes up. Global markets become chaotic.

IMPACT: This is the nightmare scenario. The economic impact in the United States would be felt through trade, financial linkages and business and consumer confidence. The size depends upon how quickly policymakers could stabilize the situation and whether any big financial institution whipsawed by a rapid repricing of assets is in danger of collapsing

What would Greece exit mean for the U.S. economy?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Wow you named all the places I'd never want be anytime.... period..... Guess foresight is 20/20 though a trip to the big apple once in a while is ok, but they have crazy gun laws, its a world I don't want to live in

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmsuse

Why do you think Europe is bailing out greece?

You think the EU is bailing on Greece? It's the other way around and more will follow willingly.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I live near Portland and so life will be good for me no matter what...I'm bugging in and riding it out.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

I am not being sarcastic. Bravo New Englanders. I'm a weather junkie and I can't imagine living through some of the ice storms you people have been through. A good bunch of hardy, intelligent people.
My dad was always the "survivalist" in the family, My mom and I felt that if it was a nuclear attack, we hoped we'd be dead in the first strike, seriously. The thought of having to live with only the survivalist people like my dad, was worst than death itself.

In the event that nothing happens, I will continue to live modestly the way I am now. It is emancipating -not sure if that's the correct word - to not be obligating oneself to have the latest fashions, i-phones, and trinkets that are so worthless in the long run.

P.S. I am not trying to say that I'd be "shooting" any person that "looked wrong" to me when I said that we had guns and knew how to use them.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

[
In the event that nothing happens, I will continue to live modestly the way I am now. It is emancipating -not sure if that's the correct word - to not be obligating oneself to have the latest fashions, i-phones, and trinkets that are so worthless in the long run.

It is a right word; it's one of the best terms for it, actually.
It is perfectly possible to lead a more than satisfactory life without even having a cell phone.
I should know.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join