It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is so much hate against people getting goverment assistance and handouts?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Because it's easier to go to bed at night knowing that 50 - 100 people in your neighborhood can't afford something to eat or put clothes on there back some of them can't afford to feed there children. With no help coming in from the gov.

It's easier to sleep at night knowing that any of those 50-100 people at any time could get desperate enought o break into your home possibly rape you or your wife depending on gender. Possibly kill your children or take them hostage.

All because of 2 things. desperation or boredum. Boredum would be well i've hit rock bottom nothing better to do lets see whose lives we can ruin!

Now that I think about it I hope they take benefits away. I think we need to go back to the outlaw days.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I don't know if this really applies here but I'll go ahead and tell my story anyways.

My dad came from a family where nearly every person in his family was on some type of assistance, with his immediate family being the main "winners." You name it and they were on it. My grandfather pretty much had 4 kids and ran, and my grandmother would take what little money she made and spend it on booze and cigarets. My mom, on the other hand, came from a family that absolutely refused to ask for any help, and if they did it was from family. Image the shock my mom experienced when she found out that my dad pretty much depended on handouts. He had a job, but his mindset was that its expected that you get these handouts. When they married, they literally had no money. I came a year later (unexpectedly, I might add), and my mom was faced with the reality that they had to sign up for assistance. I was a Medicaid baby back when it still had a stigma attached to it, WIC, food stamps, the whole deal. To my dad it was no big deal, but my mom was mortified. She would shop for groceries at 6am so no one would see her.

Eventually, they got to a place where they were able to survive without the assistance. My dad didn't want to leave it because it was all he knew, but my mom made him. It was hard at first for a while, but eventually everything worked out. My dad now has more pride than my mom and refuses to ask for any type of help whatsoever unless its really bad.

My point behind all of that was that some people are born into families that have no desire to work for themselves, and then it just continues with each generation. But that doesn't mean that they can't change or that they are unfix-able lazy people. When used correctly (like how my mom expected to us it), it is a wonderful tool that truly helps many, many families. I have a huge issue with people that abuse the system and that way overstay their welcome, but that doesn't mean that there aren't success stories or that its all bad news.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by riddle6

If you con the system and get money for nothing, great do it, i have no beef with people who do it and get away with it. UB in most countrys is not a whole lot anyway and if some people just dont want to work and can survive on UB then great let them do it.
People who work and end up paying 80% of there wages in taxes are bigger fools imo.
I remember reading an article a long time ago that stated that the Defence budget of the USA is enough to pay every person in the US a livable wage and no one would need to work at all.
I personally think that having to work a 40 hour week to survive is one of the most soul destroying aspects of life, its borderline slavery for most people who dont earn big bucks.

edit on 20-5-2012 by auraelium because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by auraelium
reply to post by riddle6

If you con the system and get money for nothing, great do it, i have no beef with people who do it and get away with it.

See, that is the whole problem right there. That is why society is falling apart. There is not concern for the general welfare, no regard for the honest work of other people who paid into the system. In other words, no difference between right and wrong.

Soon there won't be anything left to steal. 50 years ago no one in Ireland or the US would have said such a thing, even in an anonymous room.

The whole idea of liberty is based on the idea of a communal effort. The word republic comes from Latin, "Res Publica," this public thing. But now that we are only interested in personal gain, a republic is no longer possible.

This is why crowds clamor for fascism.

I personally think that having to work a 40 hour week to survive is one of the most soul destroying aspects of life, its borderline slavery for most people who dont earn big bucks.

See, when people are so divorced from the idea of improving their life by their own efforts, when there is no shame in being dependent on others, then we have people who are permanent children in our midst. The only difference is, they are emotionally children but they have the rights of an adult, and an entitlement to a share of the public purse.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Cassius666, to answer your question "Why is so much hate against people getting government assistance and handouts?", one needs to look a bit longer and harder at the whole picture.

Like this part which doesn't get enough press imho ...

www.mysuncoast.com...
Since January, undercover detectives have been selling food stamp debit cards, also known as EBT cards, to people in exchange for cash, or even drugs. “Our undercover operatives were given EBT cards, issued in ficticious names, which they offered for sale at 50% or below the value of the card.”

In some cases, the owners and employees at local grocery and convenience stores bought the cards in exchange for cash, and then used the EBT to purchase items to stock their store shelves while pocketing the cash difference.
did you catch that ?? business owners replenishing their store shelves and pocketing the difference.

ppl are far too foused on WHO gets it rather HOW, WHERE and WHY it goes as it does.
and, from the list of (names) locals busted, 3 of them are directly tied to sitting political officials, so what's that tell ya ??

when the POTUS' relatives are scamming the system without reprocussions, why should anyone else be punished or denied for that matter?

when scams like these are manipulated by those in positions of "control", what else do you expect other than 'blame the receivers' ??

ps: if you read the story, these are not your typical EBT recipients, these are your typical EBT ABUSERS, you know them as ... taxpayers.
(or in some cases, illegal immigrants, see poster at link and yes, i know some of them, personally) - matter of fact, one of my favorite discount stores is closing this week because the owner was "busted" for said activities.

To those who choose to blame the "generations" of losers ... do try to remember, generations of abuse don't develop without an incentive.
if there wasn't something in it for them, they wouldn't continue to participate.

think of it this way ...
i'm broke/unemployed but have a garden.
i'm broke/unemployed but have a car.
i'm broke/unemployed and get food stamps but don't need much food because i have a garden.
i want a job but need transportation to attend interviews.
exchanging a card ($200 value) for food that i don't really need for $100 cash that i could use for much needed gas, bus fare or a ride from a neighbor, might be too tempting to refuse.
PS: neither a garden or a car disqualifies anyone from receiving said assistance.

the above scenario presents an interesting aspect to the whole "system" as we know it.
the system qualifies a person of my status for food stamps only regardless of what my needs actually are. (whether or not i really need them is irrelevant)
is it really scamming the system to use the benefit to my greatest advantage or are those enabling me more the problem ??

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
The answer to the thread title is simple.

Most people believe that if nobody was on welfare, the government would give them some type of tax cut.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
reply to post by buster2010

LMAO - yea I want people to earn thier own way in life, I must be a nazi.

People are animals, ALL people are animals. Would any sane husbandman choose to breed weaker stock? Makes no sense to me.

You sound just like Hitler. That is why I made the Nazi remark. Who says money should determine if a person should be able to have children? Your money makers will always be the weakest link in any chain. Why because they always need others to do the work for them and they don't have the backbone for any of life's real struggles. This is why they are so easily exterminated when a war comes around.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
when those checks stop it will be game on
no doubt about it
several millions died in the US in the last great depression to end all depressions

people are much better armed now
and have much less couth

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
maybe hate is inate in the lives of many people and so that those people don't turn the hate back upon its source they direct it outwards toward someone else. it seems anyone is a target but certain groups are more vulnerable than others.

directing the hate outwards appears to be a method of treating a severe psychological/sociological disorder.

anyone that takes a good look at the system should realize that everything is a handout. I suppose if the people who are receiving government assistance wore a tuxedo or ballgown down to the public aid facility they wouldn't be hated as much.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Story from here in the UK. Recently 6 children were killed in a house fire. There was evidence that petrol had been poured through the letter box, making it a murder case. However one journalist claimed it was an accident waiting to happen, because they were a large family on benefits, who had received quite a bit of media attention. The journalists insinuation was that they had brought this tragedy on themselves for being a large family on benefits, who seemed to court attention.I wonder if her reaction would have been the same had it been the house of a banker attacked?

What does it say about modern Britain when the pre-meditated massacre of six children is described as "an accident waiting to happen" on national television?

Hatred against those receiving benefits is out of control in Cameron's Britain. The Tories transformed a crisis of capitalism into a crisis of public spending, and determined that the most vulnerable would make the biggest sacrifices. But taking away support from the disabled, the unemployed and the working poor is not straightforward. It can only be achieved by a campaign of demonisation – to crush any potential sympathy.

www.independent.co.uk...
edit on 21-5-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I don't think it is hate. I think it is a superiority complex.

People who find themselves in comfortable financial situations often feel somehow superior to those who need help. They feel, since they don't need help, they are somehow better than those that do.

Most will not change, until they experience the other side.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I don't think it's about hate. I think it's more about frustration. I have no problem with people who really need assistance receiving it. The problem that I have is a system in which people who truly need help are denied while others who really don't need assistance are getting it.

Too many times I have seen people who really are in need of help refused because of stupid reasons such as they earn minimum wage- which isn't enough to pay rent and bills and still be able to clothe and feed your children. Then I see other people who receive every bit of assistance that is available by committing fraud. I've known many people who have families together but never get married because as long as they don't get legally married they can continue to collect full benefits even if the father/boyfriend is working full time and making good pay. His income doesn't count as long as they aren't married. Then you have people who work for cash so that there is no reported income who receive full benefits. Also there are people who commit disability fraud who rack up on every bit of assistance they can get when there is really nothing wrong with them.

I don't think most people hate everyone who receives government assistance. I think we're just all tired of our tax dollars going to people who abuse the system.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
We are on the brink of possibly being in a bad way ourselves (knocks on wood for good fortune) and I can't help but think daily as I mull over our family's set of morbid circumstances, what *if* we end up being in need of help? I won't bore anyone with the grimy details, but we did all the right things according to the popular "bootstrap" lecturers of ATS. But you know what, just like mayhem occurs in the order of the Universe, mayhem happens in the life of any being. We have some savings and a little cushion, but what if it runs out before our luck changes? Kids need to eat, my eldest is now seeing an orthodontist and getting fitted for braces, house note is due monthly, etc. I have never known welfare, but I am aware that some milk the system. I have never really considered it so deeply as to hate them, because rich people essentially do much the same thing, but everyone looks up to them because most peons want to be rich. I think the whole system of capitalism is flawed, heartless, inhumane and unsustainable and more power to those on the lower rung who manage to eek out survival anyway they can.

I do have more respect for the single mother on welfare using her benefits to feed her kids good, healthy foods so she can afford a few courses and daycare than the typical image of the benefit milker who feeds her numerous kids a steady diet of ramen, soda and chips and they have holey socks and clothing while she is riding around in a 2011 Navigator and wearing Gucci. Matter of fact, I have one of the latter on my street. I know she cheats the system but what is it of my concern? When corporations quit doing the same thing while ripping off their own employees, then maybe I'll give one. If people were paid living wages in the first place and there was more jobs available, there would not be so many on it in the first place. The greed beast has made this system what it is, and it's not the poor man's greed that has evolved the monster into what it is.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join