It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

newly discovered mayan calendars go beyond 2012

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
well looks like they found more to the calendar this year but i still think there cycles show the end of the fifth world this year. Like any skeptic would say the guy who made tis calendar might have been crazy

"So much for the supposed end of the world," says archaeologist William Saturno of Boston University, lead author of a study in the journal Science, which reported the discovery on Thursday.
Discovered in the ruins of Xultun (SHOOL-toon) , the astronomical calendar was unearthed from a filled-in scribe's room. While about 7 million Maya people still live in Central America today, the "Classic" Maya civilization of pyramid temples had collapsed there by about 900 A.D., leaving only a few birch-bark books dating to perhaps the 14th century as records of their astronomy, until now.

and the link

www.usatoday.com...
edit on 10-5-2012 by ronnypeppers because: made title more appeasing

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Surprise the worlds not ending...

I saw a Richard Pryor comedy special, and even then they where talking about the world ending...

Only it was more inline with the cold war fears.

Every generation thinks that it can get no worst, and that theirs is the last.

It can and will get worse, the world will keep spinning.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Duh. The Mayan calendar has no end - it's an effing circle people.
This period ends and another one on the circle begins, but there is no beginning and no end.
They thought in cyclical time.

Transition period is a possibility - but there was never an "end".

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
got to admit tho still a lot of strange things going on tho

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I find it a tad odd that they happen to "discover" this...in the year 2012.

Something doesn't sit right with me.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ronnypeppers

Oh absolutely. Lots of craziness all around.
It's definitely some kind of transition period for humanity.
Hard to say how it will all turn out.

@amongus Quite true - the timing is suspect... they probably had these artifacts for a long time and decided to release this info in order to diffuse a little of the end times energy floated about. But, that doesn't change that the calendar never actually ended as it's a circle and not linear.

edit on 10-5-2012 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Doesn't matter...

They didn't use Leap Years, we do. It should be 2013 by now

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ronnypeppers
well looks like they found more to the calendar this year

Conveniently coincidental. The new calendar is a mayan postponement edict.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Just because it didn't happen yet, doesn't mean it won't, we will be wrong a few more times probably, before the end of people.
Yes the world WILL keep on spinning.
It don't need people to do that.

Fukishima, it's a start, a form of slow kill for now, we shall see.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna
Duh. The Mayan calendar has no end - it's an effing circle people.
This period ends and another one on the circle begins, but there is no beginning and no end.
They thought in cyclical time.

Transition period is a possibility - but there was never an "end".

Well said! Simple as that!

They saw time as a circle, whereas our modern dumb-asses see time in a straight line.
Crazy sh!t is happening; that's undeniable - call it coincidence or synchronicity - I don't ever recall any of this craziness going on as a kid - but I digress...

It's the modern day scholars (hell, even those armchair scholars) who want to drop end-times on our laps because that's how they wish to interpret it.

It's all about change - not doom! Just another apocalypse.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
it is not the end; it is the fifth creation of the world
edit on 10-5-2012 by redneck13 because: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
I find it a tad odd that they happen to "discover" this...in the year 2012.

Something doesn't sit right with me.

i hate this phrase, but... I KNOW, RIGHT!?!

I've always shunned illuminati theories in favor of military-industrial-complex plots and propaganda. like, instead of a finite organization running the world, the worst and most powerful people exist in a loose network of cronies and cohorts and have only been clandestinely controlling the masses for a few generations. But the more i think about that epic "all roads lead to rome" thread the more i think the Illuminati is actually the secret leadership of the still very much existent Roman Empire. They fled to Britain when mainland Italy became threatened by barbarian invaders and economic depression. They took the empire underground and off the radar with America when the idea of Empire and Colonization fell out of favor. And now that "the 99%" or "the tea party" or the "arab spring" are happening, they're preparing to once again "kill themselves" and go into hiding. still very much in control and very much in charge.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Looks like this will be all over the news.........

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Unprecedented Maya Mural Found, Contradicts 2012 "Doomsday" Myth
Under the Guatemalan jungle, 1,200-year-old paintings like no others.

In addition to a still vibrant scene of a king and his retinue, the walls are rife with calculations that helped ancient scribes track vast amounts of time. Contrary to the idea the Maya predicted the end of the world in 2012, the markings suggests dates thousands of years beyond that.

Suppose they let the folk making the money off of it have a good run.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Only prob with that is the mayans didnt base there calendar on ours it's a compleat different count and no matter how we change ours there's is still gonna end on the same day we added leap year in ceaser times befor the discovery of Americas and the Mayan calendar so it was already in place when they matched the calendar against ours There's runs in a circle ours runs strait the restart of there circle just so happens to be on our 12 21 12 and if we added a day it would be on our 12 20 12 but like I said Mayan calendar was discovered after leap year creation

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Ok..we can all stop wondering about December 2012....next doomsday prophecy please. I need to find something else to occupy my life with!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna
reply to post by ronnypeppers

Oh absolutely. Lots of craziness all around.
It's definitely some kind of transition period for humanity.
Hard to say how it will all turn out.

@amongus Quite true - the timing is suspect... they probably had these artifacts for a long time and decided to release this info in order to diffuse a little of the end times energy floated about. But, that doesn't change that the calendar never actually ended as it's a circle and not linear.

edit on 10-5-2012 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

Agreed, amazing how there is always the perfect refutation of the straw man argument and always at a time that seems to perfectly coincide with the PR campaign tenets of: 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days. If one contends that the summer Olympics coincide with another great transition point - the symbolic events planned at that time will serve to distract those who are evolving by creating an "event."This little piece to help confuse those who wish to find the new path when it opens during that period and some will surely say "well, this guy says it's all bs so I quit my own pursuit of my own experience and go back to living the life of a miserable slave..." Though in reality, the effect of this is symbolic, not real tangible.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

The Maya calendars didn't use leap years because they didn't need to. Their calendars were based on the cyclical motions of the planets and our Moon, no leap years needed.

We base our calendar on a tropical year, 1st day of spring, or the time it takes the Sun to return to the same location on the Earth. This is then rounded up to .25 days from .24219 days and these quarters are added up every four years. This is still inaccurate as .24219 x 4 does not equal 1.

edit on 5/10/2012 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Ofcourse the world will go on, but probably not with humans as a dominant species?

The Maya believed they lived in the 5th cycle (5th sun), and they believed it was the last. They were great time keepers and astronomers. What if they weren't wrong? Maybe they knew something we don't ?

Sure as hell nobody can explain how they build their pyramids, incredible packed stone walls, but now everyone knows their calendar system was wrong?

Just sayin' ...

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Why is it that everyone thinks the "end of the world" implies complete annihilation? Firstly, there is no scripture, prophecy or anything else that speaks in terms of "end of the world." Every single one of them, in their ORIGINAL context, speak of an "end of the age."

Even the ORIGINAL Hebrew bible never mentions an end of the world. It speaks of the age coming to an end, never the world. I guess people just love to live in fear.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
Looks like this will be all over the news.........

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Unprecedented Maya Mural Found, Contradicts 2012 "Doomsday" Myth
Under the Guatemalan jungle, 1,200-year-old paintings like no others.

In addition to a still vibrant scene of a king and his retinue, the walls are rife with calculations that helped ancient scribes track vast amounts of time. Contrary to the idea the Maya predicted the end of the world in 2012, the markings suggests dates thousands of years beyond that.

Suppose they let the folk making the money off of it have a good run.

i find it hard to believe they could contradict themselves, when they never indicated it was the end of the world.

stooges predicated it, not the Maya.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join