It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's assume we were on a Rogue planet

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Actually...it is you who do not understand. Time and Space are one in the same thus we call it Space/Time Continum. Time is defined as a particle of Matter or Energy in motion. Without Energy and matter in motion there can be no Time nor can there be Space as Space is defined by the distance Celestial Objects or particles are between each other and at what velocity they are in motion.

There is NOTHING in this Universal Reality that is not in Motion nor is there Distance or Velocity without Particles of Matter and Energy.

Thus Time cannot be seperated from Space nor Space exist without Matter or Energy in Motion.

So you see...This is why Time is Relative as Space/Time Geometry is Relative around any Gravity Well. Time is not something that exists seperate unto itself and as Space/Time is Warped by any Celestial Body....Spacial Distances are also warped and thus Time is warped.

This Warping of Space/Time that allows the Shuttle Clock experiment to have the shuttle clock be a bit behind the Earth bound clock....is an example of Non-Linear Time. Time has no beginning or end and has no middle. All Space/Time occurances are tied and running concurrent as past and future are one in the same in any One Dimentional Expression of Universal Geometric Reality. Split Infinity

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
reply to post by SpearMint

Anything may be possible but in my experience of what I have seen, life is based on molecular activity and if that activity is extremely small, the chances for life should be extremely small as well. I believe the vast majority of life will need some amount of heat to evolve or even to develop. I'm not saying heat sources are not present. I'm just saying I believe the chances of life developing on a planet with no heat sources near absolute zero are slim to none.

edit on 6/5/12 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

Yup, at absolute zero (Kelvin), all molecular motion stops and it would be impossible for life to exist.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Time is time. The only thing that changes is our relativity to it and the way we measure it. There would be time on the supposed planet (not that I think the supposed planet would exist or support life, but we were asked to assume we were on one). Whatever intelligent inhabitants happened to be there (which I also think is impossible), would find patterns, cycles or something that would enable them to construct a sequence and measure time in some way, shape or form.
People didn't create time, they just created ways to measure it.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
If we were a rogue planet just floating through space, we would be a solid ball of ice.

/end topic.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
that's an interesting way to put it. I'm pretty sure i seen or read something that said if there was no moon or sun that life couldn't exist because there would be no high tide. not really sure on what they meant by that, maybe because sea based life couldn't evolve into land based?
kind of makes me think time is a human invention.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Several things here, the first is whether space and time are the exact same thing. I believe Minkowski geometry shows that they are not the same thing. We can agree they are intricately tied.

The rest does not support your claim, instead it supports mine, that they experienced time differently, one did not leap forward in time. With that I am done, I do not enjoy walking in circles, do not reply to say the same thing again.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Anything may be possible but in my experience of what I have seen, life is based on molecular activity and if that activity is extremely small, the chances for life should be extremely small as well. I believe the vast majority of life will need some amount of heat to evolve or even to develop. I'm not saying heat sources are not present. I'm just saying I believe the chances of life developing on a planet with no heat sources near absolute zero are slim to none.

Yup, at absolute zero (Kelvin), all molecular motion stops and it would be impossible for life to exist.

This is true, but absolute zero is not found in space. There is a universal 3 degree increase due to microwave background radiation. I think this is still plenty cold to assume life could never form in such conditions.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
This makes me think that time is not a property of the universe but only a human invention

so you're saying that series of events on a rogue planet would not happen in distinct order.. meaning they wouldn't happen one after another...

i think you're premature in your query here. you haven't pondered it enough before bringing it to the discussion.

"time" as a "human invention" .. lolz ... i think we noticed ourselves having repeated experiences.. a pattern of similar events.. ie: spring summer fall winter.. and noticed the growth of a woman's abdomen after a copulation.. that after a certain amount of waiting.. a new human popped out...

thus after these repeated observations.. out of eventuality.. we adopted knowledgeable calculations based on our experiences of said time intervals...

time isn't a human "invention" ... we didn't say.. hmm we shall invent TIME NOW!... and then there was "time" ...

i think you mean that our calendar system is unique to the solar system we're in.. and our current scheduling of said calendar is an invention of humans....

not "time itself"....

however on a side note... the current vibe in quantum string theory suggests that 'time' as we know it (linear time).. past present future.. is merely our perception of experience.. in this current phase of our biological manifestation.. (homo sapiens) .. and that ALL things occur parallel to one another in an eternity of all possibilities.. look up brain Green's "the fabric of the cosmos" on YouTube for more info...

also i read a Scientific American magazine last year where they discussed the same thing.. and gave a REASON as to WHY we perceive time in a linear fashion in this phase of our existence...
and that was that .. in order for us to derive meaningful knowledge of experiences and events.. we needed a STORY ARCH ... where we had an INTRODUCTION phase of events.. then a CONFLICT phase of events.. then a RESOLUTION phase of events... in order for fledgling intelligent beings such as ourselves to consider reality, and reflect upon it... meaning.. our brain's current biology is formed as a purposeful perception device that allows our consciousness to grow .. from gleaning knowledge and wisdom from the experience of events...

and eventually after enough experience in this phase, we'd evolve a higher level of brain that perceives TIME as it actually is... "non linear" .. "all happening at once" .. where just like a DVD control we can fast forward , rewind, and better yet.. SKIP to different chapters.. for a more efficient and analytical view of our experiences...

sounds like fiction .. but it's what quantum string theory is now concluding as to how reality actually is... and our perception a temporarily, mere necessary, albeit illusory, method of perception.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

This is true, but absolute zero is not found in space. There is a universal 3 degree increase due to microwave background radiation. I think this is still plenty cold to assume life could never form in such conditions.

Correct, absolute zero is only theoretical.
Of course, we have many extremophiles, mostly bacteria, that can live at extremely low and extremely high temperatures encountered here on earth, so it wouldn't be entirely out of the question for life to develop in a very cold environment. Probably not life as wel know it, but life nonetheless.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by influencetheabove
that's an interesting way to put it. I'm pretty sure i seen or read something that said if there was no moon or sun that life couldn't exist because there would be no high tide. not really sure on what they meant by that, maybe because sea based life couldn't evolve into land based?
kind of makes me think time is a human invention.

I wouldn't be life as we know it. The sun provides heat and the moon affects the tides which drive the gulf stream along with the warmth and the north atlantic current, all of which accounts for the atmosphere to some degree and makes the earth inhabitable... or at least that's the theory I agree with the most.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

WOW! So you say I am repeating myself? LOL! The basic issue here is that you are constrained to one concept of what Time Travel should be defined as...when it appears you do not have a clue as to what I am getting at.

You are taking a position that Time is passing at a slower rate abourd the shuttle and that Time on Earth is passing by faster or at normal speed. This is not what is happening. Time is being observed and percieved by the Astronauts not only by their own Mental sensory accessing of their internal mental clocks but an Astronauts Biological Clock is also abiding by the Human Bodies natural functions on many levels including Cellular as well as by Neurological functions.

A person may percieve Time as relative such as the saying...Time flies when your having fun...but the body as well as a persons Subconscious keeps perfect time. The Subconscious being the equivelent to a Computer that stores as well as having the ability to access EVERYTHING THAT A HUMAN BEINGS SENSORY IMPUT AS WELL AS BIOLOGICAL INTERNAL CONNECTIVITY TO PASSING OF TIME....DOES NOT VIEW TIME AS RELATIVE BUT AS A CONSTANT. If properly trained...a person does not need an alarm clock to wake themselves at any particular time. A small exapmle of this ability is displayed in one of my Jobs as being a Musician...there is not only a need to be able to play in time but also have the ability to play a note in what is called an anticipated beat or in laymens terms...the ability to strike a note or drum on a timing that is previous in the timeline of a set timing beat. This ability is a Subconcious access to the Human Mental Calculation of an exact and precise time of anticipated beforehand quantitative time. Thus...the musicians without having to think about it...feel exactly when this note or beat is to take place before the timing of a measure.

This anticipated beat can be only a tiny fraction of a second or even one third of a second but all are able to feel when this anticipated beat will and must occur and with complex musical pieces it is not as simple as a previous half time beat or a quarter but can be complex 7/16th's of a second.

Now on the Shuttle...the Astronauts experience Time the Same way that People on Earth do...the Astronauts bodies experience time as a constant and so does their subconcious keep and record this time passage. What is occuring is not a slow down in Time but a change in their Bodies and Clocks velocity and distance from the Earths Gravity Well. This next part is key. Unlike any other form of percieved movement of Matter that is placed into motion by Force...Gravity is not a Force and any object or even particle/waveform of Energy...is effected by Gravity. Force such as electromagnetic or Kinetic Transfer via a form of Physical Propultion such as burning fuel to move a piston or burning chemical fuels to again propel an object via kinetic transfer or even Particle Bombardment that again moves an object by kinetic transfer....all of these things are either motion through magnetic attraction or repultion or are Kinetic Transfer by direct collision of another object or particle or Kinetic Force pushing an object by burning a fuel that is directed to move matter to forcibly move other matter. But not in the case of Gravity.

When you drop an apple...what is causing it to drop? There is no Kinetic Force pushing it...there is no rocket attached to it...there is no Magnetic attraction...so why does it drop? What makes it move? In reality...the apple is not actually moving but rather existing at different points of position along a path that is being governed by the effect of One Dimentionality that is being accessed by the existance of Earths Gravity well as this well is an expression of Singularity or One Dimentionality.

Even though our Universal Space/Time Geometry is governed by many Dimentional states...some say 10 or 11...I believe more...all of these dimentional states are partialy governed by one another. In a One Dimentional aspect of Space/Time...all Time as well as Points of Position in our Universe are the same point and the same time. THIS is why Traveling at High Velocity away from a Celestial Bodies Gravity well will allow such a craft and people in it to experience Time as it is Governed by the Spacial Geometry thus Dialation occurs and they are literally Jumping Space/Time to a point that governs where and when. Split Infinity

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join