It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by IronArm

errrr, are you serious? how about 'anders behring breivik' a self professed right wing christian who killed around 70 people because he didn't believe in the invasion of multi-culturalism.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The thing I find appalling about this is the fact that when we had kids that came to my high school (back in 2004) the school had to give them a special room that they could go pray in ( X ) amount of times a day. They came over from Pakistan. Now you didn't see anything like that happening for any of the other kids who followed other religions.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duderood
reply to post by IronArm

errrr, are you serious? how about 'anders behring breivik' a self professed right wing christian who killed around 70 people because he didn't believe in the invasion of multi-culturalism.

Read his statements, He said he is not a Christian per se. Its convoluded following what he says regardless. That said, what he did is deporable, by any standards (with the exception of Jihadists) and especially among Christians, that are trying to show love.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I am not religious at all, and I don't support any of them.

But what happened to free speech or whatever it's called? I mean, I hate those Jesus this Jesus that shirts, but doesn't the kid have a right to display his own opinions or ideas? Why censor that?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This is very likely nothing to do with the nature of the slogan at all.

When I was in school, we were allowed casual wear but were NOT allowed slogans of ANY kind, as far as I'm aware many schools still have this policy.

Slogans (and sports team logos) are banned simply because of this sort of issue. Likely the kid was asked to remove the shirt because it had a slogan, absolutely nothing to do with removing it because it was religious in nature.

If I had of worn a similar shirt to my casual dress code office, they would have told me to remove it as well.

Personally, I would have changed it to "Life is wasted without Manchester United" and still would have been sent home.
edit on 4-5-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I myself wonder, if this would be discussed in such manner if the person in question wore something like "Without Allah you are Empty" or "Brahma is the true creator and without him you''d be nothing"

I doubt many of you would rush to defend this person.

And don't tell me that this or any other nation was founded under Christian beliefs. It was founded on Blood, sweat, and tears just like 99% of the nations in the world. Religion was something brought along with the people who came here, and there...and everywhere. Countries in Europe accepted Christianity NOT because it was good... they accepted it because if they didn't, they'd keep getting attacked year after year, by Christian nations.

And if you say it was founded on religion as many Americans claim, you have to accept that your religion is responsible for genocide(Native Americans), slavery, and many atrocities prior to it becoming the USA as we know it.

My 2 cents

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
while I haven't read all the posts, I did notice many people asking what would happen if students wore "Satan Rules" t shirts or something similiar

well read the article from the Canadian paper the National Post NATIONAL POST

Interesting that the OP's link to the MSN article omits the part where the student references that "there are Hail Satan T shirts being worn at the school and no one has complained"

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by dmorgan
I am not religious at all, and I don't support any of them.

But what happened to free speech or whatever it's called? I mean, I hate those Jesus this Jesus that shirts, but doesn't the kid have a right to display his own opinions or ideas? Why censor that?

No, this is precisely the reason that slogans are banned on shirts in many schools, because of the sort of issues that wearing slogans like these creates.

If this kid is allowed to display his own opinion towards Jesus on his shirt, what would stop another kid wearing a shirt supporting Osama Bin Laden, Neo Nazi groups, or Mitt Romney (let the flaming begin!)?

This is why slogans are banned in school. The kid isn't being censored due to the content of his shirt, he's likely being censored for wearing a slogan of ANY kind, period.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Have we, as a society, corroded our minds so much that we cannot even allow someone to walk around expressing opinions and beliefs that contradict our own?

What this teenager did harmed no one...the only thing harmed here was the delicate feelings of the sanctimonious hypocrites who would be up in arms if a different teenager was suspended for wearing a T-shirt to the tune of "LGTB Pride".

Lets look at this situation in a different perspective...instead of focusing on the teenager lets focus on the offended.

The offended thinks their opinions and beliefs are significant enough to warrant forcing a teenager to stop wearing a simple shirt. The offended can simply ignore, avoid, look away or not read it. But the offended choose not too, instead they push and force their beliefs to change behavior and actions of others so it falls in line and accommodates their brittle little minds.

Of course an atheist or a Muslim may be offended by a shirt saying "Life is WASTED without Jesus", but do the beliefs of the atheists and Muslim take precedence over a Christians belief to justify the impediment of right to free speech and expression?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Weird how American "liberals" never make similar mention of the t-shirts and symbols of other Religions. How many hindu "Om" t-shirts do we see around? I dont mind liberals per se, but the American "liberal" is so spiteful and hate-filled that one has to speculate whether MKUltra or some other sinister brainwashing program is behind these "democrats".

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Wow.

I guess I'm not seeing the problem here?

I went to Catholic school as a child, and had severe restrictions to what I could wear, do and say. If the child or parents don't like the situation, find another school?

I'm sorry but religion isn't getting booted out anywhere and in some ways this is for the child's own good. Where I work now, I'm not allowed to wear offensive slogan related clothes. Depending on what day I'm coming in, the tore up aweso jeans are out. Some days you're not even allowed to color your hair. I've been told a few times not to come in wearing certain things again.

Oddly enough there is a thin line between this and turning a school environment. Get used to it, it's the rest of your life.

Side note: big difference between wearing a crucifix or quiet personal symbol like a rainbow patch, and having challenging slogan stuff written on you.
edit on 4-5-2012 by Pinke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

No, this is precisely the reason that slogans are banned on shirts in many schools, because of the sort of issues that wearing slogans like these creates.

If this kid is allowed to display his own opinion towards Jesus on his shirt, what would stop another kid wearing a shirt supporting Osama Bin Laden, Neo Nazi groups, or Mitt Romney (let the flaming begin!)?

This is why slogans are banned in school. The kid isn't being censored due to the content of his shirt, he's likely being censored for wearing a slogan of ANY kind, period.

My, my... you're mighty assertive when it comes to telling us what is "likely" going on. Especially considering you have, very obviously, NOT even read either of the articles linked from within this thread...

You haven't got a damn clue!

Very well done! I gave you a star for your arrogance!

See ya,
Milt
edit on 4-5-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by IronArm

PC patrol on the march.
Look out!!

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Due to our freedom of speech, so what if my son wanted to sport a Hitler shirt, or even for that matter a pro- Osama bin laden shirt? Seriously, has our country gotten to the point where if I sneeze and it offends you, I should be demonized?! Shame on you people.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

I know what you mean I went to a private school and had a very strict dresscode which at that time I thought was BS but as an adult I can see where it makes life so much easier for the parents.

But if its a public school then ok wear whatever you want, I doubt if he is anymore popular for wearing the same shirt for two weeks but thats his choice.

Maybe they should have a dresscode for public schools so they can stop having this type of issue and be able to focus on why they are at school...to get an education.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes
Weird how American "liberals" never make similar mention of the t-shirts and symbols of other Religions. How many hindu "Om" t-shirts do we see around? I dont mind liberals per se, but the American "liberal" is so spiteful and hate-filled that one has to speculate whether MKUltra or some other sinister brainwashing program is behind these "democrats".

Its not about promoting one's religion and expression of it. If it says "Jesus is Great" "Jesus is Love" its a different matter, but what this says is "If you not a follower of Christianity that worships Jesus, your life is a waste"..

Still looking for that OM T-shrits that belittles other religions.

IMO, this was a loaded slogan, intended to get a fire started, especially at school.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I know its not Canadian Law but it was brought up 'Seperation between Church and State'

The understanding of this term has been completely reversed from its original intention. It was to say that government may not make laws or rules preventing individuals from practicing their religion the way they see fit.

The article clearly shows a government official (aka a public school administrator) preventing the individual from a form of religious expression.

In the United States, the term is an offshoot of the phrase, "wall of separation between church and state," as written in Thomas Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1802. The original text reads: "... I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State." Jefferson reflected his frequent speaking theme that the government is not to interfere with religion.

Source

This of course has been completely twisted into the government telling people how to practice their religious believes and the banning of freedom to express them.

Much of the western world models itself upon America's examples of what freedom is, or at least used to be.

What this is entirely about is Political Correctness which is basically used today to mussel free speech.

Of course, the kid is probably just using it to annoy some gay teacher, but who knows.

Nine times out of ten its part of the loud minority of homosexual people who make a big fuss about Christians. You generally don't get anybody else caring or even remotely interested in the subject. All of my gay friends have this huge bee in their bonnet about it. Makes me laugh how they go on about the intolerance of those who model their life after the man who first said 'turn the other cheek'.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
Still looking for that OM T-shrits that belittles other religions.

In my world anyone can put anything they want on their t-shirts. Im not forced to think about a guys t-shirt, Im not forced to believe in it, Im not forced to respond to it. I couldnt care less.

Society now is that if anyone feels "made uncomfortable" by anything at all, they can have it removed. There is nothing at all "liberal" about this, this is hard, cold fascism.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Here's my meager opinion. They made him take it off because pretty much all you really see on the shirt is the term "Wasted". All the other words ESPECIALL referencing Jesus are too small to read.

My belief is they made him take off the shirt because it looks like he's going around broadcasting that he is "Wasted". I personally don't think this has anything to do with it referencing Jesus.

Here's the T-shirt:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by IronArm

Christianity is slowly being outlawed in Canada, and this is just one example. For a country who's national anthem contains the phrase "God, Keep out Land", this seems rather vengeful against the faith of Christians, while laws/rules are being passed municipaly, provincialy, and nationaly to permit greater rights to immigrants and the religious ideologies they bring with.

news.ca.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

And what if the student wore a shirt that said: Satan Rules?

Religion does not need to be a part of public school.

And? You think that should be illegal too?

In a public high school?

Absolutely!

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join