It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by IronArm

If I have kids, I want them to be sane, rational thinkers.

Want to be a missionary? Cool. Go to a foreign country and try to spread the religion, don't use it to distract your peers from their education. After all, education is a privilage and Jesus is not.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Good thing is... it wasnt a raptor jesus tshirt!

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by RadioactiveRob
Good, I hope the time is coming when humanity purges itself of all irrelevant superstitions and intellectual diseases like Christianity, Islam, and whatever other trashy belief systems that exploit people. Culture around the world would probably be a lot better if these religions were replaced with philosophical concepts that aren't dogmatic and exploitative.

Me too.

I know its shocking - - - but Jesus really isn't welcomed every where.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

What do you plan on doing about Jesus? You got a whole lot of people to kill or put into prison. Jesus is everywhere because his followers are everywhere. I am not sure if you live in America or not , however , if the whole 'freedom' thing isn't working out for you .. we got plenty of planes and borders for you to travel across.

However , if you live in a country that is not in America. That is your business and best of luck. If he doesn't exist , the believers in Jesus lose nothing , however , if he does exist ... then you lose everything.
edit on 4-5-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I reckon we should nail all the Christians up so they can be like that Jesus fella
(Joke)

Back to the op if the T-shirt just had "JESUS LOVES YOU ALL" on I bet no one would complain but seeing the shirt basically said "Your life is #e without Jesus" I can see why people got upset.

Oh and if any of you Canadians need an English Butler pm me
(I want to move to Canada
)

Oh and Annee if you didn't already have a toyboy I would ask you to marry me
you rock.
edit on 4-5-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

Wow, someone is ignorant. From your comment you seem to be the one that has a problem with the "whole 'freedom' thing". This isn't Jeebus-land, it's America. That means all of us have the right to believe as we wish without some clown telling us we need to leave. Not everyone gives a rats ass about your venerated magic man. Comments like yours and your "hurhur... sniper jesus" nonsense is exactly why us atheists speak out against you.

"Xtianity is under attack, wah wah wah..." Save it. It's no attack, it's an excision. Your Gee-whiz, believe it or not, is in no way important to every American. Some find him and the mutant religion he spawned repugnant, some even find it offensive. You and your ilk have seemingly made it your sole purpose in life to inject your mythical hero into nearly every facet of our lives. We are merely removing the nonsense from where it doesn't belong. If that's an attack in your eyes, well... go cry about it at bible group (Which no atheist has a problem with. Unless, of course, it's at a public school or something similar.) because it won't stop until freedom of religion is actually the reality.

And before you even say it, as I saw it already early on in this thread, read this first.

To the OP, I was content just reading along until that post, but now I may as well add something constructive to the actual content of the thread. Remember back about a decade ago when schools were suspending students for not removing Marilyn Manson shirts? It wasn't because the shirt itself was offensive but because of the supposed message the band/artist espoused. They were suspended because A) they didn't comply and B) the music was deemed offensive. I see quite a few similarities to these incidences, but also major differences. On one hand, a shirt was not offensive in most cases visually and nearly always had no other words printed on it other than the name of the band. But students were suspended for a message in the music of the band (drugs, suicide, sex, etc.). On the other hand, a kid was suspended for deliberately wearing a shirt, with what can be to some an offensive message, day after day in an antagonistic manner. Frankly, knowing similar things have happened that no one threw all that much of a fuss about, I don't see why this is so newsworthy either.

I know, I know, xtianity is under attack.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Someone should have taken the initiative and simply worn a T-shirt for a few days that said...

"Life is WASTED without Satan"

And then the school officials would have made the easy choice to ban BOTH T-shirts, and nobody's
feelings would have gotten hurt.

lead by example...

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by LuckyLucian

What are you talking about? Honestly , you came out of no where.

It doesn't have to be 'Jeebus' land. However , i can represent my religion in pretty much any way i want to represent in any public area as long as i am within the law.

That very same argument you just made , which isn't even an argument , is a rant actually and can easily be flipped. So .. the Majority of the country is labeled Christian ... i guess the Christian population (the majority of the nation) are all Ilks and do not deserve to live or have their own beliefs according to your words and that your way is the only way and to hell with everyone else?

You can believe in Jesus or not , if you don't , good luck. However , you aren't going to infringe on my rights to express my beliefs publicly. If you don't believe in God , then you should have no problem. However , you treat your belief in Jesus not being real as a religion and persecute those that believe in a higher being.

Congratulations , you found religion in hoping that God doesn't exist.

PS: You arent removing the 'nonsense' the Christian population is actually growing faster than all other religions (agnostics / atheist included) .

------------------------------------------------

Please continue to speak out against me. I do not lose anything , and i have no conscious objection or dilemmas in my faith. However , i am just simply stating , you will never get Freedom of Religion repealed in any way and denying (based on religious beliefs) clothing expressing freedom of speech and freedom of religion is unconstitutional in the United States. So if this went to court in the United States , it would be an easy ruling.

Haters gonna hate ..... 'dur hur hur , or whatever that noise is you made'

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Well on this occasion I'm sorry Annee but I have to defend this christian.

Although on one hand it could be seen as xtians getting a taste of their own medicine this does not make it just,

We each of us have the right to dress how we please as far as I'm concerned and I for one would defend this students right to do that.

If the school has issues with slogans etc on shirts and such then they should do what others schools often do and that is have a set uniform, although again this to my mind is again could dictating what how an individual should dress.

This type of incident if left unchallenged is outrageous what if the teacher happened to not like cocacola or 3 wise monkeys etc , as long as the slogan does not incite to do harm then what is wrong but more importantly who is the final arbiter ?

As much as I would like to see the demise of not just christianity but all these religious cults, reason dictates that I have to defend the students absolute right to profess publically that he loves jesus or whatever even on his shirt.
For the state to operate a system of "Thought crime" is absolutely no different to how the imaginary godman jesus/yahweh operates, according to their scriptures anyway.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
It certainly seems to me that due to the fact he wore the t-shirt constantly over several weeks, he was trying to provoke a reaction.
Whether that reaction was meant to be positive or negative in his mind is moot.
He's now been called about it and quite rightly censured irrespective of what was on the shirt.

The article doesn't actually report what the other students found "offensive" about the shirt.
My guess would be that it was the smell as he'd been wearing it for weeks....

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Starchild23

He decided to voice his beliefs, spreading love and worship, which is completely harmless, instead of being a fearful sheep. Is there something wrong with this?

What crap! I'm really sick of the "Jesus is Love" propaganda.

Christians have been very hateful toward those they don't support. Time to take the blinders off.

oh yes.. WE ALL HATE EVERYONE ALL THE TIME.. don't we.. because this shirt says we do .. (?)..

wow no immature globalizing/stereotyping there.... is there.. ! that's like stating that anyone who wears a "I hate Yoda!" hates everyone who watches Star Wars...

seriously .. get a grip !!!

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by Annee

There were complaints because he was expressing an opinion that was distasteful to a politically correct school afraid of censure.

He decided to voice his beliefs, spreading love and worship, which is completely harmless, instead of being a fearful sheep. Is there something wrong with this?

Some schools do allow students to wear "self expression" T-shirts.

Christians have tried to ban Pro Gay shirts.

Christians don't get it that not everyone welcomes Jesus.

By your logic they should suspend students wearing pro gay shirts if enough people complain. BTW, I am offended by pro gay shirts, I don't need you to advertise your moral depravity in school.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by IronArm

Christianity is slowly being outlawed in Canada, and this is just one example. For a country who's national anthem contains the phrase "God, Keep our Land", this seems rather vengeful against the faith of Christians, while laws/rules are being passed municipaly, provincialy, and nationaly to permit greater rights to immigrants and the religious ideologies they bring with.

news.ca.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

The verse 'God keep our land glorious and free' was changed decades ago to 'Oh Canada, glorious and free'

Also using the word Christmas was banned by the governments, not in writing but in use, long ago too. You never hear anyone say Merry Christmas because it's politically incorrect. But then, the government only gives two days off for Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Here in Uk it's refreshingly different. People say Merry Christmas and you get almost two weeks off work for all of Christmas and New Years.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
On the other hand, thre are a lot of radical pushy Christians in Canada who want to convert people to 'their' church.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Probably a better segway for the school administration would have been to make a project out of the Charter of Canadian Rights and Freedoms, debate it, allow the kids to think critically about the situation and learn from it. No teacher is going have the opportunity to teach all the kids the laws and about society when they have left school.

Guess the curriculum isn't designed that way though... obedient workers and critical thinkers don't jive...

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

By the way , Hitler was an Atheist .... it seems you are on his side are you not? Are you an Atheist? (Actually , i am unsure as you havent stated , however ,from your post you seem to make it sort of ... evident?) ... HMMMMMMMM ....

Hitler was one Atheist ... and he killed 11 million people .....the Catholic church killed / tortured an estimated number in the 6 digits (hundreds of thousand over 200 or so years)

HMMM , if one Atheist directed the killing of 11 Million people .... WHAT COULD ALL ATHEIST DO!?

About 800 Million people have died in religious wars from Occults , Muslims , Christianity , Buddhist , and so on.

PS: Please note the Catholic Church and Protestants are on two separate levels and are not considered the same thing. Protestantism is actually considered a different religion than Catholicism.

-------------------------

Stereotyping for the win , am i right?!

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

I am talking about you intimating that someone should leave their country because they disagree with your beliefs. I am talking about how those kinds of comments are repulsive. I am talking about how not everyone wants to deal with the incessant xtian nonsense. I am talking about the ridiculousness of this persecution complex. I am talking about how religion has no place in government. I am talking about how any time an atheist speaks they're talked down and many are fed up. I am talking about how it doesn't matter what you believe, but others have the right to believe otherwise.

I will respond to what I wish to, thank you. Do not try to curtail someones right because you don't like it. That's two posts in a row you've more or less done that. I do not care one iota what you think of me and I'll speak very directly. When some bible-thumper tells an atheist they should leave America, a country they have every right to be atheist in, regardless of context, I will speak up. To be even more blunt, the xtian millenarian apocalyptic mindset as expressed in the edit to your previous post is disturbing and disgusting. Keep your silly little platitudes to yourself if you have the urge to use them as some sort of metaphysical/spiritual threat. It just makes you appear foolish.

I'm now finished with your off-topic rubbish.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by IronArm
And what if the student wore a shirt that said: Satan Rules?

I would predict that nothing would happen. Also, banning someone from free expression, whether it is for their worship of Satan or their worship of God, is WRONG. You don't want a country where the only thing allowed to be worshiped is the state, trust me on this.
edit on 4-5-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I bet they wouldn't get upset over a " Life is wasted with X-Box" shirt.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Sir , have you read any post previous to this because you are posting things you have no idea about or don't care. If this lady tells me i do not have a right to express my religion publicly , and she severely dislikes Christians , and does not want to be around them ... then guess what! America may not be for you!

You can be Buddhist or Atheist , I don't care what you are. Will i talk to you about God , most certainly i will in a heart beat. Do i force it on you ? Nope. You have heard it a thousand times. However .. when you state you dislike Christians and we should get rid of their beliefs through the government process by infringing on the constitution ... then yeah ... you should probably leave if you are that miserable in that country and you can't stand its constitution and one of the very reasons it was founded. Religious freedom.

I don't persecute you because you don't believe in God. I don't want to say I don't care , but honestly. Its your problem. You already know the Bible story. So i am not butt hurt you don't want to hear about Jesus. It's up to you. However , ill talk to you about Jesus in a heartbeat. Hell , ill argue with a pole about Jesus
, but will i come up randomly and start a Jesus conversation? Probably not , simply because that is weird.

By the way, you are the one committing the persecution. Not me.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join