It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defending earth

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

then make sure that ten nations must authorise the use of the defence system. wed be absolutely stupid not to have even something basic to defend ourselves.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The Earth needs defending from the enemy within or upon - Humans
Seems we are doing a good job of trashing the planet ourselves

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
The Earth needs defending from the enemy within or upon - Humans
Seems we are doing a good job of trashing the planet ourselves

in my opinion we are beginning to realise what we are doing and we are making efforts to undo what we have done

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
earth will only defend it's self with force when the threat becomes apparent.
no point wasting money that can be put to colonizing our planets of sol.
to increase the survivability of the human race we need to spread the race over more than one planet, at the moment we're all on earth and at anytime could be wiped out by a giant asteroid (not trying to scare you but it's possible).
once we can succesfully habit other planets we can then better defend ourselves.

Edit: something i stumbled upon (probably while on ATS). Lifeboat
looks interesting but some a little far fetched
edit on 29/4/2012 by listerofsmeg because: link

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

i agree. we would have more resources but that is for the future. what about now. because not having something to help protect us while we plan our move to the moon or mars is just stupid

edit looks awesome. ill check it out
edit on 29-4-2012 by SpaceBoy97 because: response to link

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceBoy97

i dont think it's stupid, it's priority.
surviving is more important than blowing our destroyers to tiny chewable peices.

the resources on the planets will be useful indeed but why we should be on them more importantly is because if earth does get wiped out by aliens or comets then the survivors on other planets have some chance to keep the human race going but it can only happen if a true self sustaining colony can be placed out there.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg

surviving is more important than blowing our destroyers to tiny chewable peices.

the resources on the planets will be useful indeed but why we should be on them more importantly is because if earth does get wiped out by aliens or comets then the survivors on other planets have some chance to keep the human race going but it can only happen if a true self sustaining colony can be placed out there.

we could blow a comet or meteor into tiny chewable pieces too

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

until a comet of great mass and density comes by and all our nukes and lasers only manage to do enough damage to draw a smiley face on our destroyer. how do we attack a solar flare.
we need to get off this rock to survive, and i will miss this rock but i'll miss the human race alot more.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceBoy97

If we develop the propulsion technology to allow us to colonise off world that is also, in itself necessary to defend earth from comets/asteroids.

If you want to make something miss you have to nudge it while its still a good distance out. That requires getting to it. Guns in orbit are much much less useful than a ship with nuclear propulsion that can range deep into the solar system at high speed.

By happy co-incidence it would make servicing an off world civilisation, and enabling it to harvest resources, possible.

Power source tech, propulsion tech, it all flows from that. Give us a working Polywell reactor and VASIMR engine and we own the solar system.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

If we develop the propulsion technology to allow us to colonise off world that is also, in itself necessary to defend earth from comets/asteroids.

If you want to make something miss you have to nudge it while its still a good distance out. That requires getting to it. Guns in orbit are much much less useful than a ship with nuclear propulsion that can range deep into the solar system at high speed.

By happy co-incidence it would make servicing an off world civilisation, and enabling it to harvest resources, possible.

Power source tech, propulsion tech, it all flows from that. Give us a working Polywell reactor and VASIMR engine and we own the solar system.

i agree getting to other planets is nessessary. but that is also just a part of one huge gargantuan picture. if we had missiles in space then it doesnt have to travel so long a way to get to whatever we're shooting at. making it much easier to blow a hole up an aliens hole
: lol:
: lol:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

first you have to find the aliens hole, we can see most big doom projectiles coming from really far away, our earth based nukes are more than capable at destroying anything minor. but if anything major comes by we're screwed and i don't think big missiles in space will do much to stop it.
our resources should be used to better our ability to first, make it cheaper to get to space by making:
space elevator Space Elevator Economics
greater propulsion systems Project Prometheus
planetary habitats life on mars lol
space habitats virgin galactic space station

edit on 29/4/2012 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

reply to post by DerbyCityLights

a cow prodd then amped to 2000 volts of electricity. or a baseball bat to the face to knock the bear unconcious.

Cows meander. I got family that farms, trust me. Not a good analogy.

As for hitting a bear in the face with a bat, you wont knock him out. At most, you just made the top of his you pissed me off and now I'm gonna eat you list.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights

reply to post by DerbyCityLights

a cow prodd then amped to 2000 volts of electricity. or a baseball bat to the face to knock the bear unconcious.

Cows meander. I got family that farms, trust me. Not a good analogy.

As for hitting a bear in the face with a bat, you wont knock him out. At most, you just made the top of his you pissed me off and now I'm gonna eat you list.

i meant a cattle prodd and it all depends on what the bat is made of and how hard you hit them. The bat could be spiked

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

first you have to find the aliens hole, we can see most big doom projectiles coming from really far away, our earth based nukes are more than capable at destroying anything minor. but if anything major comes by we're screwed and i don't think big missiles in space will do much to stop it.
our resources should be used to better our ability to first, make it cheaper to get to space by making:
space elevator Space Elevator Economics
greater propulsion systems Project Prometheus
planetary habitats life on mars lol
space habitats virgin galactic space station

edit on 29/4/2012 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

quite simple really. get on the ship and plant missiles in the toilet. then we wont need to know where their hole is. if they so much as fart. KABOOM
:lol :

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
we've been here fine for thousands of years.

why should paranoia kick in now?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Well, the individuals in charge of our government may have thought about this, but I find it ironic. War is already present on this planet as well as famine and many other global issues.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Don't you know that all the films about aliens, we can't protect ourselves. The only way the aliens die are from viruses. So if we are able to stop fighting among ourselves how are we going to stop aliens from attacking us?

With force fields that stop atomic blasts and bullets but can't stop the little virus that is able to make them sick and die.

Now, I believe that we are not alone in the universe and we have been visited by aliens before. Just look at cave paintings and even the Bible. They all have seen UFO's. To think we are the only beings in the entire Universe is a little narrow minded.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
two words

Star Wars

look it up. its not just for Russian missles, you know.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

In my opinion, a Moon base and military will be created to protect our planet from outside forces. We also have a system called Star Wars in space.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

because they are already here. nothing to defend against.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join