It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctic ice melting from below, reveals satillite

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Saw this and thought it to be pretty interesting, a new spin on a possible reason for the ice melting:

“Underwater volcanism is also sublimating portions of the Antarctica ice mass from underneath. In 2004, a research team led by Eugene Domack, aboard the research vessel Lawrence M. Gould, made a remarkable discovery of a massive underwater volcano off the coast of Antarctica using a deep water submersible vehicle equipped with a cadre of sensors and video cameras. The volcano was 2300 feet (700 meters) tall. The British team findings confirmed the volcano was still active and was contributing to the melting of the ice sheet from beneath the Antarctica land mass

I'm just curious to know if any one told Al Gore of this new discovery? LOL.

It just goes to show how Mother Nature is always evolving and no matter what we do, She's the boss. Sure man has contributed to a lot of what's going on but the reality of it is we have no control over Planet Earth. Long after we're gone, the Earth will still be here waiting for the next inhabitants to make a go at it. Hopefully like in about a million years from now. HA!!
edit on 26-4-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Here's another article into the investigation of volcanoes that may lie beneath the ice:

April 7, 2012 –

ANTARTICA - Mount Sidley, the highest volcano in Antarctica, may have a lot of company lurking out of sight. Scientists are using seismographs to hunt for hidden volcanoes in Antarctica. Scientists have used radar and other imaging technology to uncover some astounding finds under the East Antarctic Ice Sheet: A vast mountain range that rivals the Alps, and Lake Vostok, one of Earth’s largest lakes. Finally, seismographs can reveal hidden sources of seismic activity — little earthquakes that could be the signatures of active volcanoes hidden under the ice. “It’s really the first time we’re able to look at the interior structure of the mantle,” said Andrew Lloyd, a WSLU Ph.D. student who traveled hundreds of miles by snowmobile to help retrieve some of the seismographs — and the reams of data they recorded. “It will enable us to say something really definitive about the tectonics and geology of the region, which is something nobody has been able to do before,” Lloyd said. Wiens said that the data are already revealing a tantalizing picture of what is going on beneath West Antarctica, a place that is, in the words of one scientist, “hemorrhaging ice. We do see these big variations in the temperature in the mantle across parts of Antarctica that will have a big effect on the ice sheet,” Wiens said. However, he added, many months of work lie ahead, and it will be some time before scientists are ready to announce to the world what lies beneath the ice.

I'm anxious to see in a few years what the results might be from this research. I bet the scientists are eager to find out what they can.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
With all these earthquakes going on and theories about how the Earth's core may be heating up, can't say I'm not suprised this is happening.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Good find OP...S&F!

This and the methane release kinda punch a hole in the man made global warming being promoted through "ice melting".
edit on 26-4-2012 by Ericthenewbie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I can't wait to see how this gets blamed on humans....

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
I can't wait to see how this gets blamed on humans....

I can't wait to see how its blamed on Obama and liberals

I thought a thread on ATS the other day was saying the land mass was warming but not the oceans??

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Found this from NASA site:

The researchers concluded that 20 of the 54 ice shelves studied are being melted by warm ocean currents. Most of these are in West Antarctica, where inland glaciers flowing down to the coast and feeding into these thinning ice shelves have accelerated, draining more ice into the sea and contributing to sea-level rise. This ocean-driven thinning is responsible for the most widespread and rapid ice losses in West Antarctica, and for the majority of Antarctic ice sheet loss during the study period.

"We can lose an awful lot of ice to the sea without ever having summers warm enough to make the snow on top of the glaciers melt," said the study's lead author Hamish Pritchard of the British Antarctic Survey in Cambridge, United Kingdom. "The oceans can do all the work from below."

Well learn something new everyday here, nice find snarky.

"Studies have shown Antarctic winds have changed because of changes in climate," Pritchard said. "This has affected the strength and direction of ocean currents. As a result warm water is funnelled beneath the floating ice. These studies and our new results suggest Antarctica's glaciers are responding rapidly to a changing climate."

Seems there are numerous contributing factors, but now that we know, this should be interesting to watch change.(hopefully not at the expense of human kind
) I have always been curious about what all may lie beneath the frozen mass. Mountain ranges, volcanoes, maybe some ancient villages and fossils, fascinating for sure.
Yea let's not tell Al because he will bring the wrong kind of attention to this.
www.nasa.gov...
edit on 26-4-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Sorry to ruin your party, but nothing in this report is refuting 'climate change'. You should read it. It's saying that warmer winds are helping move warmer water to the edge of glaciers.

Here's some of the parts from the NASA site the OP seems to have forgotten to include, as well as a link to the actual article:

An international team of scientists used a combination of satellite measurements and models to differentiate between the two known causes of melting ice shelves: warm ocean currents thawing the underbelly of the floating extensions of ice sheets and warm air melting them from above.

"This study demonstrates the urgent need for ICESat-2 to get into space," said Jay Zwally, ICESat project scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "We have limited information on the changes in polar regions caused by climate change. Nothing can look at these changes like satellite measurements do."

www.nasa.gov...

edit on 26-4-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I'm moving to antartica and starting a country... I only have one quetion.. who's coming with me.... WHOS COMIN WITH ME..

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
S&F
Even when the cons email came out that they're LYING about warming...people still keep going and believe in the hoax! Its a wall-street banker gov scam!!!!

With this proof...I wonder how they will glaze over it....that in itself should be comical. I think their ego's is what keeps the little "people" still believeing. go tell a Soccer Mom warming isn't true. Hahaha u'll get such a look.....

You craaaZy~ lol

edit on 26-4-2012 by tracehd1 because: Cor

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by snarky412
Long after we're gone, the Earth will still be here waiting for the next inhabitants to make a go at it. Hopefully like in about a million years from now. HA!!

So you despise humanity?

You hate people?

I do.. we are a sick despicable race... if we were spartans maybe we would have honor and respect and evolve into something awesome... however we kill our best and brightest and the weak and corrupt are the ones that breed and run the countries... we are living in the dark ages... the golden age will come when we fix this system.. and fixing it would involve culture change.. which will never happen without great castrophy and death
edit on 26-4-2012 by Doalrite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by snarky412
Long after we're gone, the Earth will still be here waiting for the next inhabitants to make a go at it. Hopefully like in about a million years from now. HA!!

So you despise humanity?

You hate people?

I do.. we are a sick despicable race... if we were spartans maybe we would have honor and respect and evolve into something awesome... however we kill our best and brightest and the weak and corrupt are the ones that breed and run the countries... we are living in the dark ages... the golden age will come when we fix this system.. and fixing it would involve culture change.. which will never happen without great castrophy and death
edit on 26-4-2012 by Doalrite because: (no reason given)

Hmmmm. Sounds rather melancholy.

Perhaps such despair is something you are projecting outwards.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Simple answer:

Mother nature is repairing the damage we have done to the oceans.

Dilution is the solution.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

You're right. The melting of ice caps could have NOTHING to do with our constant drilling for oils in the deep oceans all over the world. I mean the release of gas and spill of oil wouldn't add heat to the ocean, would it? And fracking from drilling in the oceans (on land it's shown to cause earthquakes), surely it wouldn't cause any EQ's in the ocean floor, or help disturb any underwater volcanoes, would it, or allow any methane cracks to open, allowing methane to creep up?
And all the radiation that has been dumped, leaked, or fallen into the ocean since all the nuclear testing began in the 1950's, all the nuclear experiments over or near the oceans all over the world, everything up to and including Fukushima which itself continues to dump and "leak" untold amounts of radioactive contamination into the ocean on an unending daily basis? Nah, those little "eternal fire" particles that can never be doused or put out, surely those aren't circulating on the ocean floors adding heat to water, or building under (around) ice caps helping them to melt?
Please, humans have nothing to do with the warmer waters and melting ice caps (sarcasm), (sarcasm), and yes, more (sarcasm).

edit on 27-4-2012 by RoyalBlue because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Just a crazy thought...playing devil's advocate again...

maybe mother nature is clearing more land for habitation?

or we are just on the beginning/middle/end of the warming cycle of the earth before the next ice age?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoyalBlue
reply to post by tracehd1

You're right. The melting of ice caps could have NOTHING to do with our constant drilling for oils in the deep oceans all over the world. I mean the release of gas and spill of oil wouldn't add heat to the ocean, would it? And fracking from drilling in the oceans (on land it's shown to cause earthquakes), surely it wouldn't cause any EQ's in the ocean floor, or help disturb any underwater volcanoes, would it, or allow any methane cracks to open, allowing methane to creep up?
And all the radiation that has been dumped, leaked, or fallen into the ocean since all the nuclear testing began in the 1950's, all the nuclear experiments over or near the oceans all over the world, everything up to and including Fukushima which itself continues to dump and "leak" untold amounts of radioactive contamination into the ocean on an unending daily basis? Nah, those little "eternal fire" particles that can never be doused or put out, surely those aren't circulating on the ocean floors adding heat to water, or building under (around) ice caps helping them to melt?
Please, humans have nothing to do with the warmer waters and melting ice caps (sarcasm), (sarcasm), and yes, more (sarcasm).

I hate to burst your bubble but drilling oil , fracking , and radioactive waste doesnt cause heat to oceans or anywhere else for that matter, i may cause harmfull pollution, but no heat in any way,(not sarcasm).

here is a graph of Antarctic sea ice cover over the last 30 odd years...

wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com...

Overall its actualy been increasing over the last 4 years. Also in 2008 and 2010 there was actually record breaking ice cover in antarctica, The highest in 30 years. hate to put a stop to the thread but there is no doom and gloom here folks im afraid.
edit on 27-4-2012 by auraelium because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I have been telling people about this for years, including on this website and no one believed it... Now NASA is the one saying it and how many in the "Anthropogenic Global Warming crowd" believe it?...
edit on 27-4-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
i swear.... this whole forum has turned into a climate change bashing forum and it USED to be a place where we could talk about it. there's no discussion now. it's "climate change is a hoax" and anyone that doesn't think that way gets called names.

the OP links do not disprove that climate change is partly due to human selfishness. it's just NOT a black and white issue. it's complicated and it can't be proved or disproved with one or two happenings.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

Funny how NO proof that humans paying taxes would reduce any of "climate change" either, how about charging a volcano some money for warming the seas ??

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by auraelium

Ok, I'm listening. Educate me. If we use nuclear energy to "boil water", how does radioactive contamination (same stuff they use to boil water from reactors), not add any heat whatsoever when it is drifting throughout our oceans? In basic science: doesn't the heat from each particle have to go somewhere? No sarcasm intended, open for discussion. It's just something I've been wondering for a while.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join