It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tons of radioactive water spill from Fukushima nuclear plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Tons of radioactive water spill from Fukushima nuclear plant

rt.com

Officials at the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), which acts as the operator of the crippled nuclear facility, say there is reason to believe some of the 12 tons of radioactive water has flowed into the Pacific Ocean.
A leak was found in a pipe attached to a temporary decontamination system. The water, once it has been used to cool the reactors, contains massive amounts of radioactive substances and is put into the water-processing facility so it can be recycled for use as a coolant.
"Our o
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
How long are we going to watch from afar as the Japanese government and TEPCO poison the planet? If I lived on the west coast of the USA I would be DEMANDING action from my local government. The huge debris piles from the earthquake and tsunami that disabled the Fukushima plant are washing up on the west coast and Hawaii as we speak, how long before the contaminated water comes pouring out of your faucet and into your water glass?

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Interesting... I just saw another article... but it seemed more 'friendly' to TEPCO.... but the content was just as damning.....

Fukushima leak may have flowed into Pacific: TEPCO

Notice the "may have" .... nice PR work .....

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said the leak was found early Thursday from a pipe attached to a temporary decontamination system, and the water had already gone through some of the cleansing process.

The water, once it has been used to cool the reactors, contains massive amounts of radioactive substances and is put into the water-processing facility so it can be recycled for use as a coolant.

"Our officials confirmed that cooling water leaked at a joint in the pipes," a TEPCO spokesman told AFP, adding that "it is possible that part of the water may have flowed outside the facility and poured into the ocean".
The leak has since been plugged, the spokesman added, saying the utility was probing the cause of the accident and how much, if any, water flowed into the Pacific.

The accident was the latest of several leaks of radioactive water at the troubled plant, undermining the government's claim made in December that the shuttered Fukushima reactors were now under control.

In one incident last month, about 120 tonnes of radioactive water leaked at the plant's water decontamination system and about 80 litres (21 gallons) seeped into the ocean, according to TEPCO.

www.physorg.com...

edit on 5-4-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

TEPCO has been continuously using the Pacific Ocean for drainage, and cooling, since Last March when the EQ/Tsunami occurred. They have repeatedly lied about it, repeatedly been caught lying.

Until, a conclave of Nations actually forms, and steps in to stop them..... It will continue.

Des

edit on 5-4-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
there are so many things to worry about these days but
Fukushima will be the cause of the end of the world as we know it.
edit on 5-4-2012 by autopat51 because: added

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

Tepco has about 100,000 tons of highly radioactive water accumulated in basements at the Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear station nearly 13 months after the March 11 quake and tsunami caused meltdowns and the worst radiation leaks since Chernobyl. The tsunami knocked out all power at the station, causing cooling systems for reactors to fail. The utility was forced to set up makeshift pumps to get cooling water to the reactors, with most of it then draining into basements.

Wonder what they will do with this stuff? Does it remain dangerously radioactive for eons? I fear they will just let it run into the ocean at some point(when no one is looking).
Man, I wonder if Japan will ever be the same, and they are continuously hit with significant earthquakes too. I hope the entire countryside is planted with sunflowers.

spec

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I seem to remember a few proponents of nuclear power calling myself and others fear mongers a year ago.

They don't seem to be around now, telling us that Fukushima is 'no big deal'.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Wow, that article has certainly been "sanitized" in favor of TEPCO, makes you wonder what their motivation is.
Thank's for the info.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by autopat51

The US bombed the crap out of the Pacific ocean with their Nuke test from 1945 to the 1960 something, this will just ad to the allready high numbers of radiation in the Pacific ocean, nothing new...

The end of the world you say,well, it started back then and will propably continue with the next big nuclear accident, which will happen, because accidents happens.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I am not going to be eating ANY Japanese
sushi or fish or chinese japanese shrimp.
PEOPLE WATCH THE SEAFOOD you
eat because you do not want to be eating
these radioactive glowing fish!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
There are approximately 780,304,610,890,880,000 tons of water in the pacific ocean.
12 tons of radioactive waste water gets dumped.... everyone flips out?
There are no acceptable levels of pollution, but it takes a lot of fear out of the situation when you realize just how big the pacific ocean is.

edit on 4/5/2012 by MeesterB because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Interesting... I just saw another article... but it seemed more 'friendly' to TEPCO.... but the content was just as damning.....

Fukushima leak may have flowed into Pacific: TEPCO

Notice the "may have" .... nice PR work .....

Indeed, now thats gotta be worth a cool 250k salary ....

I guess my recent new release of " possible cyber attack in s. european nation seem possible " .... sorry cant finish the article need to race to the mail box see if i got cheque for writing a catchy title.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB
There are approximately 780,304,610,890,880,000 tons of water in the pacific ocean.
There are no acceptable levels of pollution, but it takes a lot of fear out of the situation when you realize just how big the pacific ocean is.

Presumably you are basing this on the idea that the particulate radioactive material instantly disperses evenly through the totality of the volume of water. I wish that were true...

...but over time, discounting the life forms that will internalize the material bringing it into the food chain, you are right - it will dissipate... over time

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I seem to remember a few proponents of nuclear power calling myself and others fear mongers a year ago.

They don't seem to be around now, telling us that Fukushima is 'no big deal'.

indeed, if anything Fukushima makes Chernobyl seem like relatively no big deal

Japan is being evacuated systematically/covertly... and going "green"

meanwhile, Americans should be ishing their pants over the hundreds of Nuke reactors we have all over the place, it takes only ONE to be a Western Fukushima -- truly the next American Megadisaster waiting to happen:

31 US nuke reactors are ALREADY in Fukushima condition!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Originally posted by MeesterB

Presumably you are basing this on the idea that the particulate radioactive material instantly disperses evenly through the totality of the volume of water. I wish that were true...

...but over time, discounting the life forms that will internalize the material bringing it into the food chain, you are right - it will dissipate... over time

I understand that the ocean isn't an ideal situation, but the point still applies. It is still a drop in the bucket.
Some people seem to be concerned to the point where they fear the next glass of tap water will give them cancer.

I'm just saying the amount of pollutant you personally receive from fukushima is far far less than the pollutants you are routinely exposed to. Almost to the point of making it inconsequential. Of course this is less true the closer you are to fukushima, but chances are if you are close enough for this to matter then there has already been a gun pointed at your head for the past year.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
http://(nolink)/2012/04/05/tons-radioactive-fukushima-water-spills-pacific-ocean-113941/

Its already seen

Obviously, I need to read about adding links. I will do that before I post anymore links!! ugh... It is Alexander Higgins blog, but if you google fukushima it shows photos of how far it has reached...

http://(nolink)/2012/04/05/tons-radioactive-fukushima-water-spills-pacific-ocean-113941/[/url]

edit on 7-4-2012 by EdwynaGolden because: Sorry, i am not sure yet how to add links,... tried again. Alexander Higgins blog... sorry

edit on 7-4-2012 by EdwynaGolden because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
note to self, whilst in tokyo don't eat seafood

i am here now, its still a bit scary, was in a hotel on 31st, couldn't sleep thinking about quakes

this place shakes a lot

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by wolfboss1

Of course eat Seafood,
don't be scared by some People who don't know!

Japanese Seafood is great and mostly safe to eat
but avoid Ground-fishes and Ebi/Crabs,
the rest is safe!

top topics

join