It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does The Department Of Homeland Security Need 450 Million Hollow Point Bullets?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

America is just trying to curve a future problem.....You see when the Nazi's started eliminating the Jews they didn't plan so well and had to line 4 to 5 people back to back and use one bullet. This was because they didn't have enough ammo to go around. Of course they did come up with a more economical killing machine (gas chambers) but not before they ran through a ton of ammo. America is just planning ahead for when they issue martial law......

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the informative replies chaps. In the UK we used to call them Dum Dum Bullets I know what they are now thanks.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

What is weird is hollow points are against the Geneva convention aren't they?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GuidedKill
reply to post by RSF77

America is just trying to curve a future problem.....You see when the Nazi's started eliminating the Jews they didn't plan so well and had to line 4 to 5 people back to back and use one bullet. This was because they didn't have enough ammo to go around. Of course they did come up with a more economical killing machine (gas chambers) but not before they ran through a ton of ammo. America is just planning ahead for when they issue martial law......

Sure... whatever.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Monsatan

From the stories ive read, theyre only buying up one caliber, .40 caliber, if it werent for that fact, i would agree with the assumption that theyre buying them up to keep them out of our hands.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77

reply to post by RSF77

Sure... whatever.

Don't worry RSF77 I'll let you borrow some of my ammo when it happens....That's the kind of guy I am.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
thats enough for one man to fire an m16 for nearly 5 years constantly.

Needs more!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
450 million? Better to have a million too many than one too few!

Hollow point? Excellent choice.

40 caliber? Not my choice.

Plan ahead! If there is a disaster on the horizon, be it EMF, New Madrid, gamma rays... manufacturing may be shut down for a year or more.
edit on 30-3-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

In a real war you do not want to kill the enemy instantly. Inflict wounds (bowel) which will tax the enemies medical capabilities but still likely result in death.
edit on 30-3-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

What is weird is hollow points are against the Geneva convention aren't they?

The Hague Convention of 1899 Declaration III.

But alphabet agencies and police departments shooting Americans with them isnt technically war.

So we get to enjoy the pleasures of what the Hague convention decided was too horrible for war zones.

Hague Convention

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Don't worry RSF77 I'll let you borrow some of my ammo when it happens....That's the kind of guy I am.

Care to elaborate on that a little more?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
As much as I'd like to get all up and excited about this, I'd note it isn't THAT large an order for who we're talking about. It may be easy with the news to get hung up thinking about the DHS as simply the TSA and those goons that show up on Rail Platforms or highway rest areas. In looking at an order like this, check this chart and consider who all has their hand out for ammo.

Homeland Security Department Structure Chart

TSA has no need for that much....but they're also the Secret Service, Immigration and Customs, Border Patrol, the Coast Guard and many more.

450 Million rounds don't look like THAT much anymore. Not with all those agencies under the DHS umbrella since Bush made this monstrosity.

I am surprised about the Hollow Points, but only because I didn't realize someone finally got some intelligence in ordering. My father used to cuss a blue streak about the Police not being permitted Hollow Point ammunition for the perception of more damage done. He absolutely hated that policy because with round nose bullets, it wasn't a question of whether it would go through a wall....but how MANY walls the round would go through before hitting an unintended something/someone or finally running out of energy.

So... Nothing too much to get excited about, in my personal view. If ONE AGENCY among the DHS departments wanted half a billion rounds, I'd seriously ask for investigations into what kind of training vs. pure fun playtime they're having on their firing ranges. For ALL of DHS though? Sounds in-line to what they likely need and use, IMO.
edit on 30-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: spacing change

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Zombies

What is weird is hollow points are against the Geneva convention aren't they

I don't think zombies are covered by this

Cran

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo
reply to post by getreadyalready

Bullets only good for a year? I have bullets that are 10 years old that fire just fine. I even have some 22lr bullets that are older than me (32) that cycle through my rifle with no problems. Gun powder will break down over time but I'm curious why you say they are good for a year.

Ya, you're right. The one year is what most of the departments use for the ammunition being carried in magazines, but the stuff in storage will last a lot longer than that.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

When your running from them.....I'll take ya in...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by GuidedKill

No thanks.

For a second I thought some idiot might be threatening me from the comfort of his basement.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Leftist
[more

1. ]After Holder and the Dept. of Justice gave away all those weapons (Fast & Furious) they HAVE to shoot something!

2. Obamacare needs gun shot wounds to prove it's effectiveness.

Sorry, had two wise-ass comments bubbling.

Actually, with as many people in the DHS, that number is probably about right for average.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

wait till these queers find out about rubber bullets

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

The Hague Convention of 1899 Declaration III.

But alphabet agencies and police departments shooting Americans with them isnt technically war.

So we get to enjoy the pleasures of what the Hague convention decided was too horrible for war zones.

Hollow points are sold to regular individuals, even teflon ball hollow points (vest piercing) can be bought in some states. I used to buy a lot of Wolf Ammunition for my Saiga and it was imported ammunition and it was still hollow point, so there doesn't appear to be any problem with any conventions or treaties.

I have now gotten away from using Hollow Points and upgraded to better frangibles like the "Extreme Shock." It is lead-free and almost entirely disintegrates on impact. There is zero possibility of a pass-through, and it is guaranteed to transfer 100% of its kinetic energy to the target, which means my .380 has the knockdown power of a .45. It also means there is not very much in the way of ballistics evidence left afterwards. Hollow points are old tech these days.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
reply to post by GuidedKill

No thanks.

For a second I thought some idiot might be threatening me from the comfort of his basement.

That couldn't be directed at me.....I don't have a basement!!

That's what you get for making assumptions before THINKING!!

edit on 30-3-2012 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
i think whats been forgotten here is that 450 million rounds is the theoretical max that they can get from that supplier over the 5 years and you have to consider that the DHS doesn't just have one warehouse to store all this ammo and every employee turns up to get their ammo from there so there will be multiple stores holding large amounts of ammo scattered around the place and the moment they go 1 bullet under a set level it'll trigger a reorder to ensure that that warehouse has enough stock to ensure the agents who rely on it can get their stock

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join