It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does The Truth Make Me Racist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

But more seriously, I've always felt there are two different forms of what people called rasicm.

Actually, it is evident that there are differences between races on average, often well-defined. It is not racist to acknowledge this fact. What may be racist is a belief that these differences are genetically inherent, instead of socioeconomic or cultural factors etc.
edit on 26/3/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JBD1979

no but your perspective of the truth might.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

I never agree with Thuriza's posts, yet this time I do.

There is nothing wrong with acknowledging the differences between different races, how you choose to interpret this though, is another matter.

No one race is better than another. All have differences, good and bad points, and that is normal. It does not make you racist. But acting like one race is better than another, that does.

vvv

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

All have differences, good and bad points, and that is normal. It does not make you racist. But acting like one race is better than another, that does.

I disagree. The fact that for example, on average blacks have higher criminality or Asians have higher IQ is worse / better. No way around it. No two races are equal, some are better, some are worse (disregarding whether it is due to genetics or socioeconomics).

What makes you a racist is support for discrimination based on race.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

And i agree with what you said.

Like i said, obviously there are differences, but if you go around, thinking, and acting like your race is superior, because of these differences, that makes you racist.

vvv

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
The whole race thing is mental. I live in an area where you can go months without seeing a black person. Honestly, the last time I saw a black man was... roughly three weeks ago off the top of my head.
Yet, I have a friend who refuses to acknowledge race because it's racist...

I mean, it's not exactly front page news, "OMG guess what?! I saw a black man today!" *collective gasp*
But I honestly feel like it's becoming one of those things where its used AGAINST people time and time again.
"Why are you staring at me?!" said one man last year.
"You're really good looking!" I replied.
"F*** off, you're just staring because I'm black aren't you?!"
"WTF no! I was checking you out!"
"Yeah, whatever, racist b*tch!"

It's horrible! I hate it.
I honestly feel like white people are still seen as devils, because of slavery hundreds of years ago, and I'm PRETTY sure, anyone who owned slaves are dead now, we're all just people.
What about white people? What are we good at? Complaining about how others think we're racist, mostly? lol

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Lumping any group of people together based on skin tone is the definition of ignorance... as "Racism" should correctly be known.

After 30 years of Human genetic variation study, it is proven, without a shadow of the doubt, that there is only one race; The Human Race.

For the OP to say that, based upon his limited exposure to "Black People", he can summarise the behavior of 1 Billion plus people in a few anecdotal points is so stupid; it barely warrants a response.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
Like i said, obviously there are differences, but if you go around, thinking, and acting like your race is superior, because of these differences, that makes you racist.

But if your difference makes you better then you are perfectly entitled to go around, thinking, and acting like your race is superior.

Example - Skin Cancer.
Black people are much less likely than white people to get skin cancer. This is a fact. So for that particular trait, Black people are certainly entitled to go around thinking and acting like Black people are superior.
For Black people to think this, about skin cancer, is not racist. Its merely factual knowledge.

You can repeat the above for hundreds of other examples where one race comes out on top.

Edit - it would have been racist if I'd used an example where white people are the advantaged ones.

edit on 26-3-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

But if your difference makes you better then you are perfectly entitled to go around, thinking, and acting like your race is superior.
reply to post by alfa1

I respectfully disagree.

There is no need to feel you are superior over someone else, because of some skin deep example like you used. Or the countless others that can be used. We know its deeper than this, deeper than just physical traits.

vvv

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

"So for that particular trait, Black people are certainly entitled to go around thinking and acting like Black people are superior."

So life is very much like Top Trumps for you where you walk around thinking about "entitlement" and "superiority" based on skin colour.

Maybe if you stopped projecting your thought processes onto other people that dont share your views, the world might make a bit more sense??

I think half the problem is that if you went to a school in the US or Europe you received a post colonial/imperialist view of the world where an old European guy pretty much invents or discovers everything.

edit on 26-3-2012 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jukiodone
After 30 years of Human genetic variation study, it is proven, without a shadow of the doubt, that there is only one race; The Human Race.

Yep!

Remembering that one fact seems to be beyond the ability of most people.

Even among the same ethnicity, people vary. That's why we're called individuals.

Time

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

When blacks have no way to advance their education and get out of the ghetto lifestyle and then they react we are quick to associate it with their race but it is better to associate it with a lower socioeconomic status.

I am having a very hard time understanding where you get this statement. United Negro College Fund? Where's the white one for underpriveledged white students? Affirmative Action? (IE- blacks get priority funding AND placements for colleges, which is then followed up by preferred palcement in JOBS) ).. High Schools who make special prgrams just for black males, and on and on..

As for getting out of the ghetto lifestyle.. boatloads of programs just for that as well. And yet.. a large number of blacks still don;t succeed?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
To the OP .... TRUTH IS NOT HATE SPEECH.
As long as what is said is the truth .. it is not 'racist' and not 'hate speech'.
There are some who can't handle the truth and call it 'hate speech' or 'racism'.
Pollyannas .. who have their heads stuck in the sand ... stupidity.

Just tell the truth and ignore those who want to bury the truth because it doesn't fit
in their world of unicorns and rainbows. Truth is truth.

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
The muslims who did 9.11 reacted because of the bombings and occupation of their homelands.

Wrong. They did it because their twisted version of Islam calls for the death and destruction on non-muslims. The 9/11 terrorists are simply that ... TERRORISTS. They aren't freedom fighters in any way.

Do people think muslims are terrorists? Yes. Are they racist? yes

Islam isn't a race and therefore to see Islam for what it is ... not a good thing ... isn't 'racism'.

edit on 3/26/2012 by FlyersFan because: fixed hand

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
well I think we are all like butterflies...

when the catepillar enters the cocoon and changes, the dna works out what it needs to be in order to survive and that depends on color or size so when it comes out of the cocoon - it is what it needs to be (depending on the envions) in order to survive..

human dna is like that too..so we are all the same but slightly different in order to adapt and survive in various habitats.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I guess that I must be an exception to the rule that blacks have lower i.q.'s. I was reading and comprehending my dad's college books at age 10. I was reading on a college level and always had classes above my grade level. Maybe it's because my great-great grandfather happened to be white...maybe that's why...ya think?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Racism is a label, but whats in your heart you cant hide from.

If you feel in your heart that those that are different from you are inferior, lazy, uneducated, etc,. without any real backing or proof that ALL of these particular people are this way, then maybe a look in the mirror is for you.

If you are concerned with actually discussing something that you see has the potential for making you feel racist, then we go back to the above. You are either an individual, or a product of your environment... the decision is ultimately our own.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by JBD1979

If you use these generalizations to judge an individual...then yes...that is racist.

If a crime is committed and you figure it was probably the black guy that did it without any other information than a very broad statistic, that is racist.

If two people are interviewing for a job, one white and one black, and you automatically think the black person is less intelligent because of this generalization, that is racist.

And if you aren't using these broad generalizations...then what is the use in pointing them out?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

The muslims who did 9.11 reacted because of the bombings and occupation of their homelands. Does it make muslims terrorsts?

There was no bombing and occupation before 9/11.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
A few additonal truths:

IQ tests are no longer seen as an acceptable way to judge intelligence as they bias western eduction paths

Whenever you statistically sample from a smaller group ( ie a Minority) the statisitical average is likely to be lower than the majority ( nonewithstanding socio-economic preassures)

The 50 million "Black" people in the US dont represent ( realistically or statisitcally) the ideals and aspirations of the other 1 Billion + "Black" people in the world.

Africans (in Africa) have more genetic diversity than any other indigenous population on the planet: The OP probably has more in common genetics wise with a senagalese guy than the guy has with a Mbuti ( Pygmy) from 600 miles away.

I cant wait until they are able to properly map individual genetics into a historical record ; there are alot of people who think they are 100% white or 100% Black that are in for a little suprise from the past.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JBD1979

i am not going to answer the question in your title, but let me add this:
- about the IQ test: as you probably found out yourself, this test itself is "racist" so it has no real value.
- about the crime-incidents: if police focuses on certain groups, that will translate in higher stats for that group (as a lot of "crime" remains unreported or unnoticed". So, these stats don't say much either.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join