It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sulfur smell here in Northwestern suburbs outside Chicago

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Hey to anyone interested. I know there have been reports of sulfur smells in Wisconsin, and im posting this thread that i am now smelling sulfur in the McHenry county area west of Chicago. I work outside all day and have never smelled sulfur in this area. Just a heads up.

Sorry about the other thread i made. Im reporting this from my phone.

R5

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Do you have any idea what it may be?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Demons always let sulfur behind them
(supernatural)

jk aside

Can it be toxic when mixed with methane or other volatile stuff ?
that might explain why so many birds and fish are dying in mass

it can also mean .. there is a volcano near that area about to blow up

It can also mean a gas leak from a pipe
they put foul odor like sulfur to smell the leak before it get really dangerous
edit on 3/22/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by KewlDaddyFatty
Do you have any idea what it may be?

chunk doing the truffle shuffle and letting one rip after some rocky road and baby ruths!! lol love the avatar. hope nothing crazy happens over there im across the lake in mi, definitely don't need any crazy contaminants blowing my way.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Found this:

SULFATE
Sulfates are naturally found in many wells in varying concentrations. They are the result of the dissolution of sediment (magnesium sulfate, sodium sulfate, and calcium sulfate). Sulfate is also the result of decaying organic matter. The presence of sulfate in drinking water can result in a laxative effect. Both sodium sulfate (Glauber salt) and magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) are well known laxatives. The amount of magnesium and sodium in the water significantly influences the laxative effect of the sulfate.
Persons living in an area of high sulfate usually acclimate to water with high sulfates in a relatively short period of time. Newcomers and casual users of the water frequently experience the laxative effect.
The taste threshold for sulfates occurs at levels of 300-400 mg/L. and may cause objectionable taste in water and coffee.
No adverse health effects have been noted from concentrations of 500 mg/L. , but it is recommended that sulfates in water not exceed 250 mg/L. to prevent the water from having a laxative effect.

Source

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Earthquake! Arkansas has been smelling this, too.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Have you filed a report to see if others in the area are also reporting it?

If you are working near a populated area, you may be doing a big favor to report it. Remember the huge methane blowup in San Bruno Ca....it started with people phoning in for weeks that they were smelling unusual odors. Still lost a whole damn neighborhood of homes to explosions and fires from underground broken mains.

S&F for on the ground ATS first hand report....

Des

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
lol sure your not in Jersey?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
There are a lot of lakes up there as I remember,
many connected by the Fox River.

Has there been any reports of chemical dumping lately ?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
All I could think about when I saw this was all the little quake swarms people west of Chicago were reporting two years ago, from Sep. 2010 and Feb. 2010. It also makes me think about Parícutin, a volcano that appeared out of nowhere in Mexico in 1943. And that big crack that appeared in Michican; Clintonville's only 100 miles south of there, and 200 miles north of Chicago. Everything's connected, at some level... and things seem to be falling apart all over the world. I doubt it's as bad as the movie 2012 made it look, though. Let's hope.
edit on 3/22/2012 by Thought Provoker because: Accuracy.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Relative Five

I live in Wauconda. Where are you in Mchenry?
I have been outside all morning and was in Mchenry, around Rt 31 in town. Haven't smelled anything in the area's I've been.
I also stopped by the dam to see if anyone was catching anything. Nothing there, that I noticed.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I was smelling pretty much wave after wave of sulfur. It is possible there is something going on a few miles away which is then floating down wind. Im just putting this out there so if anyone else smells anything today in the area then maybe we got something interesting. Right now nothing to be worried about.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Thought Provoker

I keep thinking volcanoes, too. I know such an outlandish conjecture would get me laughed off this forum but just because areas appear dormant now, doesn't mean they always were or always shall be. The strange sky rumblings have to mean something. I stopped hearing the bulk of them after we had the large quake in Virginia. I think something is getting rearranged under the crust. I don't know why, but looking at the history of the earth I don't know why we seem to think it's more logical to assume things are always going to stay as they have been since we settled and built out this country.

It doesn't have to be some dramatic volcano that blows everyone to smithereens. The one you linked to in Mexico is an example of a non doomsday scenario type volcano that arose to remind us the earth is alive and kicking under there. Granted, Mexico is an active area and Chicago is not. But the earth doesn't pay attention to where we build our cities and what we consider "stable". When she has to let one rip, she lets one rip. I've seen sinkholes come and oddly enough, go, out beyond my property. I do not take the ground under my feet for granted. I don't really think a huge volcano is going to suddenly pop out in Chicago's back yard, but we may see some sort of fissure letting off whatever pressures Mother Earth seems to have built up lately in North America.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I worry about it often enough. I feel them. My husband feels nothing. The last couple big ones he felt. But there are times I can feel like a wave feeling. And I know it's not medical or that I just got off the water.
I check the helicorders around here daily. I have only once noticed a little blip with my wave feeling. So I don't have any real proof that what I'm feeling are small movement of the plates.
edit on 22-3-2012 by crappiekat because: sp

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

The thing about seismometers is, they have a limited range of motion reporting. Any movement that's too fast or too slow (wave frequency), they miss. The graphs everyone's familiar with, 720 pixels wide with each row representing 15 minutes (900 seconds), cannot show any movement faster than 0.8 Hz. It uses 48 pixels to show an entire minute's activity. So any really fast vibration, like harmonic tremors, will not be visible on them. You have to access the wave data coming out of the seismo directly, and zoom in, to see any detail, but even then they have limited response. Broadband seismos can sense frequencies between 0.01 Hz and 50 Hz, roughly, but those graphs will never show anything faster than 0.8 Hz. They mathematically can't. So if you feel your floor going up and down twice per second, don't even bother looking at the graphs for proof, because they won't show it. It can only be seen by someone with the right tools to analyze the wave data, and those aren't easy to come by. I don't know of any online places with such tools, they're all programs you have to install on your own computer; maybe Iris has something buried in it somewhere for that. Hope this helps.

Second line.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by crappiekat

I worry about it often enough. I feel them. My husband feels nothing. The last couple big ones he felt. But there are times I can feel like a wave feeling. And I know it's not medical or that I just got off the water.
I check the helicorders around here daily. I have only once noticed a little blip with my wave feeling. So I don't have any real proof that what I'm feeling are small movement of the plates.
edit on 22-3-2012 by crappiekat because: sp
That was my experience too, with wave motion feelings leading up to the big east coast VA quake and a few days after. My husband did not feel these motions but others besides myself in the area did. To me there was a build up of YEARS leading up to that. It started with a deep hard to detect hum like an idling engine that bothered me a lot that my husband could barely feel in 2004-2005. Then quiet, then strange rumbling noises most people shrugged off as jet noise even though there wasn't always a jet in sight. Then some other weird pulsing rumbles. I got lots of bouts of vertigo. Then the bonafide quake.

There have been a couple of occasions I was out walking the dog a couple of months ago and felt a weird movement in the ground. It's just too hard to prove or demonstrate to anyone. Anyway nothing seems to have come of those perceptions. I think we are done with quakes in my area. I hope so anyway. I think that last one released a good bit of stress and resettled things that had been building up longer than most people suspected or detected. I do still feel like something else is coming but that could just be because I hang out here too much on the forums.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I used to live west of a paper mill. The wind usually blew towards the east, so no prob, but when it blew counterclockwise, it could really choke a person up and knock you out. Mills usually keep a sulphur pile outside. Are there any in your area?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Thank you for the reply. Yes I'm sure your right. Ya know maybe I have been going about this in the wrong way. I have been trying with the little time I have on studying this, to learn how to read the heligraphs. I have just given a glance at the site you posted. (Thank you) and it looks like something I can work with. I have alot more studying to do. I am determined to learn. I don't want to turn into a scare monger. I truly want to learn.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

I am one of those who use my healthcare when needed. I have a physical every year. It does cause some pain in my pocket, but I feel Im keeping ahead of the game. I don't have any kind of medical problems, so when I feel these waving motions, I am aware of my surroundings and a sound mind.
I have even talked with my doctor about it. His view is, there are some who are more atoned to their surroundings. But I have no medical issue's that would be related to that feeling.

So that is why I find this so interesting.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

I've had a very thorough CT scan and MRI to monitor an endocrine issue. I get my annual checkup, too. I've got moderate tinnitus with a very set range of unmistakeable tones that hasn't varied in decades. So when I started picking up strange "vibes" off of the ground and hearing and feeling that hum and then the sky sounds last year, I felt pretty confident in my perceptions, even if pretty much nobody else around me seemed to be paying much heed. But I did feel a sense of isolation being the only one to perceive that strange liquid rolling feeling to the ground. So when I come across someone else who has felt it, I have to let them know they aren't alone and it's not their imagination.

It's tough when you put your shoes or in my case, boots, on the ground, stomp down, feel that it's solid as always, yet when you walk along you feel a motion like maybe you're actually standing on some giant sleeping animal. Even that does not adequately describe the sensation. It implies too much "give" or motion when the whole thing is far more subtle than that. I wish I were more eloquent and articulate about it.

<<   2  3 >>

join