It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For UK members. If you own a TV you must have a licence. WRONG!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

If somebody offered you a full refund of all your TV licenses you've ever paid for, then told you that you never need one again, would you turn it down?
I mean, you don't want to be a cheap skate do you?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
UKTV was sold off under the name of Flextech in 2005 to a private owner, they were previously a joint venture by NTL and Telewest and to my knowledge have never been a BBC offshoot. The BBC are not allowed comercial ventures in the UK, they can only profit off content owned by BBC World Service.
edit on 22-3-2012 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Iv read a few replies now from you on this site and I must say you seriously need to forget that you were bullied as a child.
Constant negativity will be your downfall!!!

Your probably one of these tv inspector men that gets chased by jack russells!!

Go out for a run if you can or have a fight with yourself or watch live tv.......but don't watch jeremy kyle you may see a resmblence

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Ha TV licence I have actual bills to pay.

The day you realize its all fear mongering...life gets a lot easier.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by wizard88

How am I being negative ? I'm actually subsidizing the viewing habits of most of the contributors to this thread, by virtue of this Frenchman paying money to the TV licensing authorities. And there's not one damned thing on TV tonight in my own native language. The BBC is a joke.

Anyone else would be given praise, you know.

"Thank you, thank you LeBomb for subsidizing my viewing habits". "We love you LeBomb you are typical of the French nation, warm and generous with a heart of gold" or even "LeBomb, I would willingly re-finance my home to allow you a vacation in the sun. in gratitude for your tv license contributions"

That's what they should say. In a parallel dimension.

Tragically I'm caught in this dimension. Where everyone says "shut your face you dumbass surrender monkey". Honestly, I could start a thread and offer free money and have it rejected because of the Vichy Government or the Battle of Agincourt.

Negativity is not the same as telling the truth, you know.

You English aren't accustomed to being put straight on things. But hey, you'll get used to it. Over time. Here.

That I promise.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by stumason

I actually work at Arqiva. As for the fee, every channel will be broadcast digitally soon so there is no reason why those channels that benafit from funding from the license fee could not go encrypted and become subscription only. We are supposed to live in a society of freedom of speech yet we are forced by law to pay for propaganda to be broadcast into our home when it could easily be changed to a lifestyle choice. ]]I also think that the government invades my privacy as any time I buy a new TV or reciever set or subscribe to an subscription TV platform they force the retailer by law to share my details. I think I'd have a good case against them should they use that evidence in court.

Of course the judges would be biased anyway and would never let anybody beat the license fee in court, they will have orders from high above to make it not happen.

the most brilliant mind we may have on this damn rock....
bbc simply encrypts the channels on digi-boxes nationwide
when you renew your licence you give em your serial code from box
they "give" you your eastenders/top gear/panorama back
you dont watch that crap??
oh then dont pay

(if you watch top gear just tune into dave)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
A licence to watch TV ?! (live or not)

No offence to anyone here, but that is flat out one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Sorry to not "partake in this discussion" but I just couldn't not comment here... and this is honestly, so ridiculous I really don't know what else to say.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Feel sorry for the police lady in the video, but does make me wonder what the hell she is doing wasting her time.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
hi op
i also remember 3 channels
then channel 4 came out and that sold on brookside lol

but ask ourselves this
i go to jail for non payment
yet my cell has a tv
hahah
what a joke this country has become

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
in the event of a future review of licensing parameters, i would expect
they would realise revenues dropping as more use streaming/broadband services
and drop the tv fee payable. it would then be for the isp/service provider to
present data to the licensing fee authority as to what if any live services
were viewed. retrieval of names and abodes with no tv fee watching live feed
could be the hornet in the toilet.
f.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
let me get this straight. in england you need a license to watch t.v. and the government actually has vans set up driving around trying to catch people in their homes watching t.v. without a license.

do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds.

if you're in a pub, do you have to produce your license to able to look up at the screen. if you don't have it, to they kick you out if they catch you.

well, this is what america has to look forward to.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

read page four. also pub and clubs need the tv license as well as an entertainment license. punters pay for it through the price of grog and food chomped.
f.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
when you buy a new tv dont give them at the shop your real address because they inform the tv licence vultures for every one sold which is a fact. then they check to see if the property has a licence.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
when you buy a new tv dont give them at the shop your real address because they inform the tv licence vultures for every one sold which is a fact. then they check to see if the property has a licence.

don't forget to pay cash also. credit card exposure.
f.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
i dont pay one as my tv is used as a computer monitor, tv license people themselves told me i didnt and i wouldnt hear from them for 3 years

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

"Thank you, thank you LeBomb for subsidizing my viewing habits".

Cheers easy

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
to those across the pond

your suprised and shocked at the tv licence
check out the WINDOW TAX
still going to this day

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I think the phrase is actualy "cheese eating surrender monkey"
gotta love Blackadder (Quality programming from the BBC)

And I agree entirely with you. I would bet my license fee that the majority on here claiming not to watch actualy do.

I pay my license fee, and will continue to do so for as long as the BBC continue to make commercial free TV. To all of our brethren from accross the pond, that means you sit down to watch a program at say....7 oclock, and it finishes at 8 oclock, with no interuptions...imagine that, a whole program without somebody trying to sell you something. And it gets better, cos when that program finishes...it goes straight into another program, still without anybody attepmting to sell you stuff.

I also wonder how many people arguing the cost of the fee, still subscribe to SKY or Virgin.

Skys top package at the moment cost about £60 a month......i'll say it louder A MONTH! and thats gives you what, about 20 exclusive channels over and above what you can get on freesat or freeveiw for the cost of the license fee.

I hope the beeb do go down the path of scrambled services on digital purely because I dont think anyone should be forced to pay for a non-esential service if they dont want it. (for the record, I would continue to pay to receive the BBC channels, and you would probably still need a license for the radio anyway)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Lol, I love how our American neighbours ridicule our silly laws, but you guys have your fair share too!

Just watch the Top Gear special in USA, the BBC had to apply for licenses to film on certain streets at certain times!
Then there's the weird traffic light law, that involves people turning right have right of way. (I can't remember exactly) but anyway, stop bullying us! Lol

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish
To be fair, the licence fee, over a year isn't that expensive. By finding loopholes and refusing to pay, you push the cost up for everyone else.

I find it hard to believe the majority of those who don't pay, won't watch the channels live throughout the year because they haven't paid for the licence, or use any BBC service.

I agree, that it is fair. It's fair in the same way that Sky is fair, in other words, one chooses what they want to watch and pay for.

We're not finding "loopholes" to refuse to pay, we're finding reasons why we shouldn't pay.

I own a television. It is hooked up to a hard drive containing digital content I have paid for, should I pay again?

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join