It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence That Animals Are Smarter Than Humans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Now, I know that the societal regime has trained us to think we are superior to all things, but just think for a moment about this. Bear with me.

Mankind, for starters, has always deemed the destruction of the planet to be preferable way of furthering its unnecessary expansion. Man has polluted the atmosphere, the waters, the land...everything. Smoke, chemicals, trash, you name it.

Additionally, man has turned upon each other for such tripe as religions and oil. Resources that man can easily reproduce and replace in their labs has become the object of wars. There are even whispers of tyranny, of government corruption and elite groups. These are all signs of a weak race.

Wolves will cast out any member that is selfish or unhelpful. They all share, and they help any that are wounded. They pups are taken care of and raised properly.

Seagulls will check out any resources, and keep an eye on potential sources of food, such as people in a park or a restaurant. They even call each other when there is food, using numbers to sweep an area. They work together, and they eat together.

Ants work all day for just food. They share their discoveries, and they work to keep their race alive. They do not kill each other, and they build massive structures that our science cannot rebuild.

Cockroaches will avoid danger, and are able to recognize a destructive force. Humans will continue to feed that destruction, their determination to experience it taking them further and further along the path of creating more weapons to kill each other with.

All around us, we see animals displaying an understanding of society and survival that we see humans ignoring altogether. We fight, we hoard, we are greedy and violent.

See how animals interact with nature and each other, I believe that they have shown a capability for peace and coexistence on a societal level that we humans consistently fail to demonstrate. We create illusions of peace, but animals don't.

For them, it is a matter of nature. It is a civilized course of living. Live and let live, take what you need and help where you can. And in that regard, animals are smarter than humans.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Damn, I was soooooo hoping that this thread would be about an octopus that could do calculus.

Why can't science replicate an anthill?

Seems to be on par with mining....IMHO

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

humans are animals and animals have human tendencies. EVERYTHING on this planet fights for one reason or another, not just humans. animals control the resources in their environment just as how we control ours. stop trying to find faults in humanity. find faults in the societies we live in. humans are not inherently evil or corrupt. we are just fighting for survival like everything else because we are animals. religion and society calls that evil and corrupt. nature, evolution, and science says differently.

stop the hippie stuff and love your fellow human.

none of what you said signals animals are smarter than humans or vice versa. youre ignoring millions of years of evolution, thousands of years of science and social development, and thousands of years of civilization. animals have none of that, nor did an animal create and build the computer youre using. everything on this planet has its own fears, weakness, attractions, and so on. yes humans do dumb things, but we also do amazing things everyday. animals are still trucking along the same way they have always been as we're trying to find our place in the universe.
edit on 18-3-2012 by XelNaga because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-3-2012 by XelNaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
And I just got done watching the Animal Planet where a lion just ripped a hyena's throat off for trying to join for dinner. Sometimes I wish I could do that to some neighbors!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArnoldNonymous
And I just got done watching the Animal Planet where a lion just ripped a hyena's throat off for trying to join for dinner. Sometimes I wish I could do that to some neighbors!

Different species do not dine together. But all of mankind is one species...what's our excuse?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I can't disagree with anything you've said, although I'm confident others will.
Sometimes I'm overwhelmed by man's inhumanity.

I have not observed this behaviour of sharing in our family pets, for instance. To be simple here, our dog and cat could not stand each other. But go out for a while and leave them home alone and we would find them curled up together on a bed upon our return. (Fellowship in abandonent experience?) Maybe this trait can also be found in humans after a disaster, when natural social barriers dissolve and we rise to help each other.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Animals fight everyday, nature is filled with murders. Humans are not inherently corrupt and evil; just inherently ignorant. We came from nature but have as a society broken away from it and went down a dark and evil path. Nature is a balanced scale and us separating from it and industrializing has tipped that scale, screwed up the balance. The balance of nature and the balance of ourselves because whether we like it or not we are still tied to nature, and we'll die with it. Interesting thread though, thankyou.
edit on 18-3-2012 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Originally posted by ArnoldNonymous

Different species do not dine together. But all of mankind is one species...what's our excuse?

That isn't true.

Animals that kill their own species is common in nature.

This is just a few of the many.....

Lions
Dogs(& Dingoes)
Apes & Monkeys
Spiders
Snakes
Staggs
Bears
Rabbits
Mice & Rats
Dolphins & Porpoises
Orcas (Killer Whales)
Herons, Boobies, Eagles, Falcons, etc....
Sharks
Ants, Bees, Mantis's(Manti?), etc...
Crocodiles & Alligators
Monitor Lizards

I could keep on going but I'm sure that you all get the idea.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by XelNaga

Natural selection and evolution weren't happening with the goal of producing intelligent life or species that can build computers. A successful species is one that survives. Period.

Ants have been around for 100 Million years. They have complex societies, they learn from each other, they have rules of war, they build cities that are just as complex as anything we do, and this is all while maintaining a balance with their natural environment.

Contrast that with the Human Animal who in 200,000 years has gone from the most intelligent animal we know of, to a virus that replicates exponentially every year.

What happened to us? Totalitarian agriculture. When lions and hyenas rip each other to shreds its over a kill or to defend their young or it's isolated. They compete with each other by saying "Who is the better predator?"

When humans from our culture compete they go into an area and burn forests to clear land, plant one crop, use pesticides and herbacides to kill all the vegetation they don't find useful, and displace and or kill any of the predators in the area.

No other animal on the planet does this. Our culture is a cancer and cancer is fatal. I hope there are some hunter gatherer cultures around when it does, because humanity isn't flawed. But we are.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Yes, they do kill each other. But they do so over territory. They are impartial. They do not kill over ideals of perfection or because they don't like the way other prides or herds are run.

We kill for little reason more than a pair of shoes, or a sideways look. These other animals, we keep them in cages to look at. When have tigers ever kept us in a cage to gawk over?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Ants wage wars and take slave
Dolphins kill for pleasure
Chimpanzees rape and war with one another

The difference between the vast majority of humanity and the animal world is: Animals will compete to the best of their ability for food, while our culture will just eliminate all competition.

This is one paradigm that needs to change if we want life to continue to thrive on this planet.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

great thread OP... S+F for thee

i too believe that animals are smarter than humans in certain aspects.... i have worked with animals for 9 years and always had pets, and they never ever cease to amaze me... they are incredible creatures and i think there is much to be learnt from them...

im reading a book at the moment called Dogs That Know When Their Owners are Coming Home : The Unexplained Powers of Animals by Rupert Sheldrake...

here's the resume;

How does a dog know when its owner is returning home at an unexpected time? How do cats know when it is time to go to the vets, even before the carrier comes out? And how can some pets predict that their owners are about to have an epileptic fit? Many pet owners will swear that their dog, cat or other animal has shown some kind of behaviour that they just can't explain.

here's the author's website:

www.sheldrake.org...

i can tell you it makes for interesting and thought provoking reading...
my own dogs know exactly when im coming home... i dont come home at the same time everyday and i dont have a routine... yet they always know..!! there are many incidents that i have experienced with my pets/other animals that i cannot logically explain... they seem almost telepathic... all i know is that they are amazing creatures and we should all take time to learn more from them....

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I like to remind smokers a cat is smart enough to move away from smoke, and would never intentionally inhale it

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

This evidence is obvious so why call attention to the obvious ? This is why God wanted to keep certain knowledge froim us. He knew in the end it would only makes us stupid.

SnF
edit on 18-3-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Syrinex
I know for a fact it depends on the type of smoke you're talking about.
edit on 18-3-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Just watching the freak show spectacle that is western society, I agree. look around you and say for example that everyone died except those within a five mile radius. Good luck, unless you happen to be surrounded by Hunters and outdoorsmen. All those rich prudes with a butler for every hour of the week.... Lol cook yer own 20 course meal.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I agree! The greatest intelligence is natural instinct, something every animal shares. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Maybe animals are not smarter, but definitely more balanced and sociable than us. We are also social animals, like monkeys, or wolves, or ants. Yet we never reached the same harmony within our social groups, even if we create laws and .armies to keep the order.

I think it's exactly our intelligence to blame for our destructive social life. A worker ant will always do it's job as it's supposed to; a worker human will soon realize that's easier to trick his neighbor to do his job for him, or even steal from others. Being smart, for humans, is not about preserving your environment, your resources, creating a better system for the good of all. Being smart is all about cheating, stealing, lying, even killing others for personal profit.
So in that respect, yes, animals are better than us. They hunt only when hungry, kill only when in necessity, live in harmony with their environment, and when living in groups they act like social beings.

edit on 18-3-2012 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteHat

There are humans on this planet right now that live in balance with their environment and with each other. In the ultimate show of arrogance we call those cultures "primitive."

Our modern culture is of course what life is really about. The millions of species on this planet have it wrong. Life isn't about living, and eating, and reproducing. Life is actually about working, materialism, and distractions from the miserable state of affairs. Humans and they animals and plants that they find valuable are the only things worthy of life. Everything else is to be subdued, subjugated or eliminated. That is the core value of our culture and until it changes we will be a threat to the very existence of life on this planet including ourselves.

Humans aren't flawed. Our culture is flawed.

And I have no Ideas how we can fix it... You?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I agree also that animal's are smarter then us. But I think they are smarter in a environmental way. Humans have embraced the modern western system of architecture which calls for conquering and destroying nature so we could live on that particular place. Instead humans should of embraced the eastern system which calls for living in balance/with nature. This is what brings us lower then animals, since they know they can't compete against it why should they try to conquer it.

Live with it.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SparkOfSparks6
I agree also that animal's are smarter then us. But I think they are smarter in a environmental way. Humans have embraced the modern western system of architecture which calls for conquering and destroying nature so we could live on that particular place. Instead humans should of embraced the eastern system which calls for living in balance/with nature. This is what brings us lower then animals, since they know they can't compete against it why should they try to conquer it.

Live with it.

The very reason people are disagreeing with me is the reason I disagree with them.

Technological intelligence is not superior to environmental/societal intelligence. You can build all the cars you want, and still have no one to use them after everyone kills each other through man-made catastrophes and social feuds.

Crocodiles have lived for thousands of years, and almost no change. What is the difference between us and them? Well...they sit around in the sun and eat when they are hungry and sleep when they are tired. They reproduce when it's time, and fight when they feel they have to.

In many ways, crocodiles are more divine and deserving than we are, simply because they barely do more than exist. They don't fight, they don't steal, they don't lie or manipulate. They simply live.

When was the last time we let a species simply live?

<<   2 >>

join