It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The door to hell is real!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I just stumbled along this video and this is truly amazing. Basically some Soviet geologists were drilling and drilled into a natural gas deposit. The repercussion of this is like a burning hell hole! It has been burning for since 1971!

edit on 3/17/2012 by CommandoRenegade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CommandoRenegade

Cool video. Wonder why they haven't attempted to put it out and capture the gas. And if they can't put it out I'm sure you could find some way to utilize this massive loss of energy.
edit on 17-3-2012 by georgiaboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I think I'll start worrying about that spot if it decided to get bigger. As long as it stays right where it is, then we should all be fine. But if it grows, we are SOL.

Hmm, I think this was posted already.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Think i've seen a vid of this before somewhere, pretty crazy though just this random hole in the ground on fire
. Imagine if you were some farmer out in middle of nowhere and stumble upon this random hole on fire you'd be freaking out haha.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
And it will probably keep burning for a very long time.. there's a place in Pennsylvania called Centrailia and that place has had underground fires burning since 1962 ... A trash fire ignited a coal vein at the mine and it's been burning since.. the entire town has become a ghost town.. I believe that town was also inspiration for Silent Hill ..

Check it out sometime.. there's videos and pictures all over the net

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
It's pretty damn amazing....
That's all I have to say.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I'm not too worried unless a giant red man with a pitchfork comes out followed by imps.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I personally wouldn't go anywhere near that, seems it would make the ground unstable .. like in Centralia, entire houses have sunk in as the fires burn below ..

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
they say its from an industrial fire... all you have to do is look it up on yahoo and get all the info you need... your title sucks

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

edit on 17-3-2012 by dayve because: double

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dayve
they say its from an industrial fire... all you have to do is look it up on yahoo and get all the info you need... your title sucks

The title sucks, but to be fair in his original post he mentions the russian geology team hitting this while drilling.. so at least to me, I understood ..

However for those that don't know .. this this has been burning since the early 70s, a russian geology team ignited this crater while drilling.. quite by accident.. it's not a natural phenomena .. nor is it hell =)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Yea I guess I could of made the title better but hey it was my first forum thread. Next time I won't make it so...Misleading.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Alberta has a small one of these north of High Level called the "Hot Pot".

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I'd build a home around it and harnass the heat. It would even heat a big green house, create electricity, kiln pottery, etc....

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dayve

The title was the title of the video. I have no problem with it.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Very cool video.

The guy filming made me laugh when he acted surprised it was hot.

What did the dork expect?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by CommandoRenegade

Bring a long stick and bread to toast.

I think there are a few of these accidentally burning for years at a time thing around the world. I think a huge candle snuffer should take care of it but I guess nobody really cares enough to correct the huge problem they caused because it would cost money, which is what they probably were hoping to make before they set it alight. A sad state of business.
Cool vid.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
reply to post by dayve

The title was the title of the video. I have no problem with it.

Yea i didnt see that, mybad

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Ah, Derweze/Darvaz! The Door To Hell is in Turkmenistan, I read about it several years ago on EnglishRussia. They've got plenty of pictures, and some back story. Edit to clarify: EnglishRussia identifies this as being in Uzbekistan, however, it is not, it is in Turkmenistan.

There's also some back story on the Derweze Wikipedia page

It's also interesting to note that this inferno pit is visible on Google Earth, I have a screen cap of it. I'll dig around my computers & see if I can dig it up to share

edit on 3/18/2012 by Nyiah because: Clarification.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Here we go, at 40°15′10″N & 58°26′22″E if anyone wants to have a lookey-loo on Google Earth themselves.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join