It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the fastest you have ever driven? Where?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SusyQ30
reply to post by Magnivea

Mine was an '01 Spyder. It was probably my favourite car to own and drive. You can really turn heads as a chic blowing past people on the highway. One of my ex's had an Olds 442, 87 I think, and he used to get so pissed that he couldn't beat me.

Like my avatar says, Girls can't what?

OK, uh huh. When the feminist movement started into high gear in the late 70's, I had that aforementioned 8.91 second quarter mile 71 Dodge Challenger and came across this silly 30 something chick at a set of lights with a pink Corvette (I couldn't believe it, a custom pink 71 Corvette but it had a 454 automatic in it) and a sticker on the back that said, "If you beat me, You can eat me." She was an executive at some brokerage firm in downtown Toronto (she told me later) and thought she was all that and a bar of soap. She was pretty hot though, blond, 5'3", great figure and she was maybe 110 pounds sopping wet, looked a little like Morgan Fairchild at 30, you know the big hair and stuff). She would have been more fun than bench pressing rear axles for exercise, to be sure ;-)

I ran her, I guess you know who won, huh? I should have run her for ownerships, "pink slips" as you say in the US, since I was married and I didn't screw around on the wife, who was equally hot. So I got nothing out of it except a tank of aviation fuel from Buttonville Airport and two quarts of nitro-propane that she bought me for losing, didn't even have to use my NOx. But she did remove her stupid bumper sticker, so that was a bonus.

Yeah, girls can do anything too (with equivalent training/experience/hard cash/time), just nobody should get ahead of themselves ;-) Somebody is always, faster, smarter, prettier, etc....

Cheers - Dave
edit on 3/10.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: a letter

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
115 mph in a Cavalier.

YES!!

I had a '97 Cavalier 2 door coupe, LOVED that car. It was stick shift. You get a star for taking a Cavalier to 110! I'd give you more if I could. That little car could go and people always said it wasn't sporty

I should probably not admit this but I went 120 in my ex's Audi S4 Turbo. It was on the highway and nobody was around me. At first I didn't know I was going that fast. That car was a nice ride on the highway. I looked down and almost crapped myself! I didn't say anything to him lol but I did get out of a ticket one time in that car. I was going 90 in a 55, again I didn't even know it til I looked and saw lights. I drove a Neon so my car didn't get to 80 without shaking slightly lol. The cop said to just watch next time and that the high performance cars drive nice and he went on about cars. I was surprised he didn't give me a ticket for speeding, instead it was for not having registration even though he saw it. He was really nice and from then on I used cruise control in that car. I tend to have a led foot esp on the highway but I tend to set my car at 5mph over on cruise control that way I dont get a speeding ticket.

That car was awesome but he was

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Here in CO you see a LOT of rally cars and rally driver wannabes. I cant even tell you how many times im at the light and some kid comes up in his supped up honda or imprezza and revs their motor and tries to get my attention
so funny

HAHA same thing here in FL. It's usually Honda Civics or Mitsubishi Lancers and Hyundai's.
When I use to drive my ex's Audi S4 I'd get cars trying to race me at lights or rev the engine. I just looked and laughed.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I cant say for sure as I was watching the road and hanging on to my 1986 VMax ..probably handy 150mph as I held it down for at least 10 miles ..peace

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Do bikes count? Cars are: s l o w

I never clocked speeds on the track, just time, but ...
'99 Race modified Ducati 748s 180mph
'07 Triumph Daytona 675 (race modified) 176mph --on board computer had a max speed done function which was nice.

These occasions were way out in the country, over where Bluebell ice cream is made actually, doing a Sunday ride with a bunch o other peeps.

Off the line, have not met or found a car that can beat a proper bike. $10k for a bike, stock, can beat anything costing twice, and in many cases 10x, 50x that in a car.

Cars = slow
600cc supersport class bike any namebrand owns.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Now you should start a what's the stupidest thing you've done in your car thread? I can start that one off LOL.

I got stuck in the slow lane behind a redneck pickup truck with a semi to my right and a soccer-mom mini-van behind me in my Fiero GT. Those two vehicles in the front and back were pacing the semi so they had me boxed in and I couldn't get around the *normal* way and I didn't want to pass on the shoulder. Now, the car was seriously lowered so the top of the roof only comes up to my waist. After about a minute of watching the traffic around me and waiting for a slight soft right bend in the highway, I slipped under the semi trailer, waited a heartbeat so a car could pass the semi and then exited on the drivers side from under the trailer into the fast lane and put foot. After I passed the semi, he flashed his lights and I could sort of see him laughing and shaking his head in the cab, like "WhoTF does that?" A dangerous move to be sure, again, I don't suggest anyone do this as semi's have brakes too and one could become squashed like a bug on a windshield in short order.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I once drove an ex-highway patrol AMC Ambassador [about 1972 - 7973 vintage] at 110 mph on Missouri 210 between Parkville and Riverside. The road was mostly straight, very level, and there were few places for speed traps. The car had a 390 V-8. It was as quiet and stable at 110 as most cars at 55.

I used to drive my Honda Accord [1979 vintage] at twice the speed posted on the curve signs, while doing hairpins in the Colorado rockies - much more challenging than the time with the AMC.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I should probably not admit this but I went 120 in my ex's Audi S4 Turbo. It was on the highway and nobody was around me. At first I didn't know I was going that fast.

That is so true of new cars. I have an Acura RL that is so smooth you can't really tell how fast you are going by the usual wind speed, vibration type of indicators. 90 can feel like 50 on an open road with no visual queues. On my old cars you could tell how fast you were going by the vibration in the steering wheel!

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I got my 89 MR2 SC up to 150+ (that's where the speedo stops) on a deserted 495 one lovely summer afternoon. Playing speed demon when others are around you is reckless and dangerous (just my opinion) but give me a deserted interstate and I have no choice but to jam the gas and have some fun.

What is life without a few uncalculated risks? Also, why have a fast car if your not going to give it a test every now and then. Just make sure it is only your life you are risking, that is my advice.

ETA: that's MPH, 241KPH+ for my metric friends. If anyone is interested, here she is. So, I showed you mine now you show me yours

edit on 10-3-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
115 mph in a Cavalier.

That was the limit to my ability to hold the steering wheel in place.

Arizona is such a dangerous place if you have a lead foot. Perfectly straight highways and barely any speed traps.If I had a sports car I would of been lethal.

I dare you to do that on the 17 between Cordes and Black Canyon.

105 on US 60 in Mesa. Late Sat. night/early Sun. morning. No traffic. I wouldn't recommend this on the 10 in downtown Phx. though.

Ford Crown Vic.

Don't ask why please.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I was on a 750 Honda one day on a long stretch of road with no one in sight. I wound it up and hit 150 mph when I chickened out. I had on a pair of sunglasses with no helmet and my cheeks were flappin' in the wind.

Never did that again. Once was enough.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
135mph in a '96 honda prelude, at night with the headlights off haha.

165 mph on my '00 honda CBR 929, with my drummer on the back scared #less. fun times.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I just lost an 08 Elantra that ran high 13s (custom SC Sonata motor). Some people know what they're doing with ricers. Granted, most don't but I'll take the challenge with anything if I'm asked to put it together.

Sometimes I get a bug up my butt and do something stupid like that. Most of the time I'll do old American, but I'll do any Japanese/Korean you bring to me.

I think the appeal of ricers is that mommy and daddy buy Junior a nice, reliable, safe car for whatever reason then Jr. decides that a fart cannon, some GReddy stickers and a counter productive carbon fiber plane wing add 50,000 BHP and the respect of his moronic peers.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
mods pleasse remove
edit on 10-3-2012 by descendedstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Hey, I had an Interceptor package Crown Vic for a while... That thing was fast as hell for being the size of an Airstream.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Did 110 in an AMC Hornet across Kansas.
That being said, the tires may not survive the speed you are attempting. They are not necessarily rated for high speeds. Check the specs.
Might not be nice to have a blowout at 160....just sayin.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
HAHA same thing here in FL. It's usually Honda Civics or Mitsubishi Lancers and Hyundai's.
When I use to drive my ex's Audi S4 I'd get cars trying to race me at lights or rev the engine. I just looked and laughed.

Hey, same thing as I said above. Hyundais can beat the urine out of an A4 if you spend a ridiculous amount of money and time fabricating crap to make an average at best 1/4 mile car that blows up after a bit.

But seriously, Lancers (EVOs mostly, but properly tuned lesser models) will give most things quadruple their price a good race. They're in the same league as STIs and WRXs for me.

I did take a base model Lancer by about 4 car lengths in my Elantra while it was slightly tuned (before the motor swap). I honestly felt bad for the kid. He looked like he was going to cry.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I had my '64 Pontiac Gran Prix pegged at 120 and still picking up speed, on the Beeline expressway in Florida. I am pretty sure I chickened out about 130. I slowed down and was cruising at 100 when a Continental passed me.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sageofmonticello

There's my toy ;-)

ETA: The antenna ain't for a cell phone. I used to run long distance with a Uniden Trunk Tracker, a Uniden BCT-12 Bear Treaker, Uniden Laser/Microwave Detector and an Active Microwave/Laser Jammer plus the undercoat below the paint has a feropolymer base, it's an passive kinetic action dielectric driven stealth coating. It's quite neat actually what it does to microwave, I just can't export the undercoat due to security restrictions..

Cheers - Dave

edit on 3/10.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: ETA

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
164mph the other night in my Z. I know I've been faster. But i cant remember what car i was driving at the time.
edit on 10-3-2012 by wrksstudios because: fix

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join