It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the fastest you have ever driven? Where?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Ahh I see. I have probably hit around 160 as the passenger in a 69 Camaro. The reassurance the driver gave me about hitting that speed in that rust bucket was that if it fell apart, we'd just be dead, no pain. Which was the reassurance that his flight instructor had given him.

The fastest I've ever hit driving was in a VERY limited edition Viper on (Y99) tires. I backed off at 245 or so. They claim a top speed of 255 but I think it's BS. It most certainly pooped upon the original Veyron.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
1968 in a 1962 GMC pickup out on a long straight stretch of interstate 80 heading east somewhere in Wyoming. 100 mph. I was scared s***less. My truck was acting like that old song, Hot Rod Lincoln. I climbed back down to 70 and never drove that fast again.

Swell thread op.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I didn't pay much attention the first time and thought that was 240 MPH.

I had an SS and couldn't get it to go over 164mph. I had a friend that was a cop clock me on occasion.

Talk about a rush on long roads in Illinois with nothing but cornfields in sight. It felt like the car was going to take flight.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by Rising Against

That may not be a bad thing, i have gotten four speeding tickets this year.

Somehow I've avoided tickets for most of my life. I got one about 2 years ago on I-90 in NY for 83 in a 55. The Trooper dropped it to unsafe start.

I just hate it when you're on a 2 lane highway and you have that blockade of (usually) minivans doing 5 under, side by side. I needed to get my fiancee to her optometrist appointment, damnit. When I saw the opening, I went for it. I think the Trooper felt my pain.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
reply to post by Akragon

I didn't pay much attention the first time and thought that was 240 MPH.

I had an SS and couldn't get it to go over 164mph. I had a friend that was a cop clock me on occasion.

Talk about a rush on long roads in Illinois with nothing but cornfields in sight. It felt like the car was going to take flight.

Canada bro

We don't know what a mile is...

I would not be going 240mph on a highway... maybe at the salt flats... but not on a road..

I was dumb as a teenager, but not that dumb

Edit: Ok maybe i was that dumb.... but i had no wish to die

edit on 10-3-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Ahem.... 245MPH on a highway. I'll have you know that I am slightly higher functioning than Forrest Gump, Sir.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnivea

Here in CO you see a LOT of rally cars and rally driver wannabes. I cant even tell you how many times im at the light and some kid comes up in his supped up honda or imprezza and revs their motor and tries to get my attention
so funny

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
You know OP, I think speaking of committing illegal acyts here on ATS is frowned upon.
But seeing is how there are mods chiming in on their illegal activities, it must be just one illegal thing they frown upon...
I will say I've been just a bit north of 130 mph, but do motorcycles count?
I will not say where I did this however.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Honestly, if I'm in anything other than my '71 Firebird 455 or my '70 Riviera, I won't even try to race most things made by Subaru (Legacy GT, WRX, STI). A 2012 STI is probably next on my list, those things will put a lot of cars four times their price to absolute shame with a few hundred dollars' investment.

I have seen some VERY impressive Hondas, but 99.9% of the time it's kids who think a Spectre cone filter in the side of the engine compartment (warm air intake) and a resonator delete paired with a 4" exhaust tip give them a million BHP.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
You know OP, I think speaking of committing illegal acyts here on ATS is frowned upon.
But seeing is how there are mods chiming in on their illegal activities, it must be just one illegal thing they frown upon...
I will say I've been just a bit north of 130 mph, but do motorcycles count?
I will not say where I did this however.

Most of my records are on closed highway or are track runs. So are most people's. Isn't that right, everyone who posted?

Of course motorcycles count. I won't even touch one. I know I'd dump it at 100 and spend weeks getting skin grafts and whatnot. I did get a chance to drive a prototype SMART powered by a Hayabusa engine. Awesome.

Edit: Not me. Just a video I found.
edit on 3/10/12 by Magnivea because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I'm sure most of these were as you said, nice and legal.
I'm just pointing out the goose/gander pot/kettle.
Speed can be very dangerous, even low speeds.
A child who attended school with a couple of mine a few years back just killed himself a couple of days back.
He was doing 70 - 80 on a 3 lane road locally and wrapped himself on a tree.
Story
Driving recklessly is often deadly, but ATS frowns on an activity that has NEVER been deadly.
The Truth.

Hope it helps

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Ah. I do believe I understand the point you're getting at, I have had many a post removed over what I think you are referring to.

Speed is indeed dangerous, I have lost quite a few friends to speed related accidents. You just need to know your boundaries.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
As a passenger, about 275 KPH on the back of a Ninja ZX-11. That was intense.

As a driver, about 240 KPH in an Eclipse. I miss that car.

I was driving 210 KPH yesterday on my way from work driving my civic SI.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SusyQ30

Ohhhh I had a TT 2001 Dodge Stratus SE Coupe that was crushed by a branch in a windstorm. Same motor as the Eclipse. I always wanted one but could never find one with low mileage. I really don't like the current incarnation of the Eclipse either, so I guess I'll never know the joy.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

90 mile per hour while passing a semi on the interstate.

Wow! After reading the other posts on this thread you guys
really seem to have a need for speed.
edit on 10-3-2012 by mamabeth because: added

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Mine was an '01 Spyder. It was probably my favourite car to own and drive. You can really turn heads as a chic blowing past people on the highway. One of my ex's had an Olds 442, 87 I think, and he used to get so pissed that he couldn't beat me.

Like my avatar says, Girls can't what?

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
110 in a 1977 Toyota Corolla SR5 Hatchback, with bald, out of balance tires!

On the Beeline highway in Florida.....

Yeah, that was pretty scary,....and stupid.

Uncle Charles was smiling on me THAT night..

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Ive been 130+ in a race gained respect for Acuras in that. but that was nothing compared to doing around 80 through the whoops in the desert just non stop Pinning it and going so big you have time to scream twice in the air now that's a rush.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Here in CO you see a LOT of rally cars and rally driver wannabes. I cant even tell you how many times im at the light and some kid comes up in his supped up honda or imprezza and revs their motor and tries to get my attention
so funny

Isn't that a kick? When I was "in the zone" we had V-8's, like my 406 cubic inch, 405 HP, tri-power Galaxie. If you didn't have at least a 327 you weren't even in the game. Of course they all got 10 mpg, but at thirty-five cents a gallon no one cared. Nowadays the kids "rush up" with a 4 cylinder rice burner like an Acura Integra with a fake airfoil on the back and think they are hot stuff. I'll bet my Troy-bilt roto tiller would give them a run for their money.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Ahhh, those were the days! I had a 71 Challenger with a stage four 440 bored to 505 that I ran once at Cayuga, for time trials only, at 8.91, long time ago now. It was nice toy, 12.5:1 pop ups, 232 intakes 187 exhausts, antipump ups, carrillo composite push rods, dual edelbrock with a pair of holley 850's, velocity stacks, dual fuel pumps, california crank with mallory metal inserts, dana rear end, 4" truck drive shaft, etc. and a 20lb NOx cylinder in the trunk coupled to a 316ss spread feeder I designed for the intake manifold ;-) I have always seriously enjoyed building cars from the ground up and then pushing the envelope. But....fastest?

Hmmm, in a foreign car, 287kph on the R29 (west of Johannesburg between Potchestroom and Klerksdorp) in South Africa in a modified BMW M5. Prior to that, I got three tickets in one day on the R29 at 210kph, 217kph and 239kph (but all charges were dropped, official NS business for the military). Next, 283 kph between Pretoria and Witbank in the same BMW.

In a domestic car, longest sustained speed (over 1 hour +/- 2mph) 173mph (speedometer was in mph but that would be 278kph) somewhere and I ain't tellin' ya where, in North America in a highly modified Fiero GT with altered Lotus suspension and the toys to keep it stuck to the ground. It's amazing what you can do when you get your weight to horsepower ratio down to less than 5lbs:1hp LOL. I always wanted to try out a Saleen at Mosport, anyone got one?

I don't suggest anyone run these speeds on city streets/highways. Try and play safe, keep it on a track.

Cheers - Dave

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join