It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rush (The Band) Wants Off Rush

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Rush (The Band) Wants Off Rush

gizmodo.com

Rush—the Canadian rock group—is pissed at Rush Limbaugh. Rush (the band) realized that the conservative radio host was playing their epic anthems on air and sent Limbaugh's show a cease-and-desist letter demanding their music no longer be used on the air.
"The Spirit of Radio" was playing behind one of Limbaugh's sexist diatribes against Sandra Fluke. Rush (the band) was understandably upset and their lawyer sent a C&D arguing that The Rush Limbaugh Show
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I really laughed out loud at this one...

They say there is no such thing as bad publicity. Apparently that's not so as all of rush's sponsors are pulling their adds on his show... there was dead air and public service announcements during his commercial breaks!

Now he's getting sued for copyright infringement by the band Rush for using their music illegally... epic.

Good for Rush! (the band)

Maybe there is something to this "2012 is the year of enlightenment" thing after all...

gizmodo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Assuming Rush (the radio show) has licensed the rights to play the music label's work, can Rush (the band) really demand this?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

awwww I love Rush.
And this story made me smile. Second thread today that's made me smile.
haha Im having a good day.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen
Assuming Rush (the radio show) has licensed the rights to play the music label's work, can Rush (the band) really demand this?

Wow, very good question.

I would like to think yes, that a band that has copyrights to their music can target object to certain platforms and such

Like some band that is very anti-abortion being the theme song for some abortion clinic's commercials (as a wild example)...the band should be able to stop that particular clinic, or field, etc...

Never thought of that.

Add: I think every world fortune 100 company should legally be assigned Metallica's "Master Of Puppets" as its defacto logo music
edit on 9-3-2012 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Rush are one of my favourite bands ever and it's probably not the best idea to have their music on a junkie scumbag's radio show.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Many of Pearts lyrics are like "farewell to kings" anti tyranny.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Spirit of the 'take our music off this god damn' Radio.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Nice catch!

This is more fire for my "scrutinze Rush" pile!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Still trying to turn Sandra Fluke into a victim?

You're too late.

Rush Limbaughs sponsors are already trying to get back on his radio show.

Everybody is asking the same question " Why the witch hunt on Rush Limbaugh?"

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Rush (the radio host) can easily claim "Fair use" of the copyrighted material by saying it is being used as parody.

How else would you explain linking the coolest band ever with the biggest blowhard on the airwaves?

Case dismissed

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Wow, very good question.

I would like to think yes, that a band that has copyrights to their music can target object to certain platforms and such

Like some band that is very anti-abortion being the theme song for some abortion clinic's commercials (as a wild example)...the band should be able to stop that particular clinic, or field, etc...

Never thought of that.

Add: I think every world fortune 100 company should legally be assigned Metallica's "Master Of Puppets" as its defacto logo music
edit on 9-3-2012 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

I think the music label would hold the copyright, no?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I think it is a jealousy thing.

20 years ago if someone said "Rush" a majority of people would have thought of the band.

Now, when someone says "Rush" a majority of people think of Limbaugh.

Huge ego crusher there. Think they are lashing out a bit.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
personally i really like rush, and in reality limbaughs show shouldn't need any music if his content is good enough. maybe he should take a leaf out of alex jones book and play the theme tune to the "global network" from starship troopers, i laughed out loud the first time i heard him playing that theme. i wonder if AJ started playing rush they'd order a c&d against him.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

i think Rush are beyond jealousy of a radio host, Limbaugh obviously has a point of view that Rush disagree with which is why they ordered their music not be played on his show. although limbaugh is hardly known in england and rush are fairly well known, when someone mentions rush over here it is probably related more to a feeling than anything else. but really why would rush be jealous of limbaugh?
i'm not havin a go i just feel from the interviews i've seen of rush that they are not egotistical at all, they have a hardcore fan base of over 5 million worldwide that will go and see them tour and buy any cd they bring out. if they've actually said that then i'll hold my hands up
edit on 9/3/2012 by josephamccoy because: add last paragraph

edit on 9/3/2012 by josephamccoy because: spelling mistake

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Another CONservative talking head who put-his-foot-in-his-mouth showing his TRUE colors.

What is in the water that these CONservatives are drinking lately? NEVER in HISTORY have there been such ASININE views, beliefs, and actions then what we are experiencing everyday now from the Right-wing nutter CONservatives.

America we be a a JOKE if we ever get a CONservative majority in office in addition to a CONservative President. We will be a LAUGHING-STOCK to the whole world.

edit on 9-3-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I heard that if you only play part of the song, i don't know how much of it, then you don't have to pay for it. Limbaugh probably will just not play them anymore.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
I think it is a jealousy thing.

20 years ago if someone said "Rush" a majority of people would have thought of the band.

Now, when someone says "Rush" a majority of people think of Limbaugh.

Huge ego crusher there. Think they are lashing out a bit.

Jealous of Limbaugh and crushed egos?
I highly doubt that. I just think they don't want their music tied to some idiot radio jock.
You must have permission to play a copyrighted song in public, usually the record label holds the copyright to the song while the artist holds the copyright to the actual recording of that song. Although this isn't an "always" on how copyrights are held. If Rush (the band) owns the copyright to the actual recording itself ( which I'm pretty sure they do), they have every right to issue a C&D letter. Copyright laws are always changing especially with the digital internet age we're in now, but this is how I understand it to be. Doesn't matter if you play just part of the song or the whole song they still have to pay to get permission to play the song on a public broadcast.

A little Rush humor, very funny and worth the watch!

edit on 9-3-2012 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
my money is on geddy ringing neil to check out the rub on the airways whilst alex is coming back from the shops. by the association of the rant with the toon playing seems to me enough to bother them. quite rightly so.
operators of computers in their hallowed halls.
f.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Good for the band.
I've thought they had intelligence and integrity.
This only deepens that perception.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join