It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to shoulder strap (bag) mount a knife?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I found a nice hunting bag yesterday and now I am trying to find a way to mount a knife to the shoulder strap. It seems like its sitting too high.
The knife cover/case, seems too long. But it does fit. Just sits too high. I don't want to get a pommel to the jaw (hammer on the bottom of knife).

The knife is a Gerber: www.gerbergear.com...

It's just going to stay bag mounted. I want to get a Gerber LMF ii soon for my personal knife.

Does anyone have any images on where they have shoulder mounted any knives to their Bug out bags?

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
uploader not working for me.

best way is use hundred mile an hour tape and tape the sheath to the strap . can position to draw either from top or downward draw depending on your preference.

works quite well for keeping gear secured and handy.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
as above

we used to use "gaffer" tape, and just tape it to the shoulder strap of our web gear. put the gear on, positions the sheath,

tape tape tape! (:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Thank You.
I had it tied down with zip ties (used a soldering iron to add a small hole).
I may try it your way with the tape. I love duct tape! (duck/100 mile/1001 uses tape!)

My issue is that maybe the knife cover is too big. I may try it with handle down. might allow for more room

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kingoddball

Put in the bag. Take it out when you need it and put it on your belt. Put a spare belt in the bag in case your not wearing one. Why strap the knife to the bag strap?
Also putyour compass/map and fire starter on your person.
Saw a hunter go into a creek. When he got out he had wet clothes and a pack floating away.
Dont separate from the essentials.

Just an opinion

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
With a good kydex sheath you can attach a Tek Lok www.blade-tech.com... to it in a horizontal or vertical orientation. Depending on the pack straps it is pretty simple to configure. I've had my RC 4 attached to my belt, The shoulder straps and the waist belt of several different back packs including a camel back mule.

Invest in the tek lok and drilled out kydex sheath.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies.
I'm going to try mount it handle down (pull down). I had it handle up. Too awkward.

I do always plan on having a knife on me. This Bear Grylls knife will be mounted to the bag, as I plan on buying a Gerber LMF ii to be carried on my hip/leg.

I also plan on adding a grip on the rear/side of the bag for an Axe/All-in-One axe/crowbar.

What I want to do is just get a BOB ready to go.
Next on my list is to find what to place inside the bag.
A small swag/sleeping bag on the bottom or top soon.

But I just always thought a knife (not primary) would be good to have attached to the shoulder strap.

What kind of knives is everyone using?

As you know, I have the Bear Grylls ultimate.
It's a great knife, but poorly made at the base.

I covered the pommel/hammer with JB Weld to keep it strong (its the weak point of the knife). I will upload photos to show. It's great with that one mod.
But as for primary, I will get a Gerber LMF ii (coyote coloured or black).

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kingoddball

Blackjack Halo A2 tool steel..hard to beat

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
who says you have to go all hooooah with a strap mount system?
I used to hunt with an old .45acp holster taped to my thigh heck you could tape a knife to that holster. Dont go Rambo and tape/strap crap to your ankles. you have to pick that weight up every step......some stuff only looks cool in the movies...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingoddball
Thanks for the replies.
I'm going to try mount it handle down (pull down). I had it handle up. Too awkward.

I do always plan on having a knife on me. This Bear Grylls knife will be mounted to the bag, as I plan on buying a Gerber LMF ii to be carried on my hip/leg.

But I just always thought a knife (not primary) would be good to have attached to the shoulder strap.

What kind of knives is everyone using?

As you know, I have the Bear Grylls ultimate.
It's a great knife, but poorly made at the base.

I tought gerber fixed that pommel problem

I have a ER shrapnel with tek lock, works fine for me, fits molle...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by drneville

Sweet Knife. That is a new blade I'm not familiar with. My personal work horse knife is an ESEE RC 4 but I may just have to look into the Extrema knives a little more. BTW The Tek Lok is the best thing since sliced bread!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by drneville

of course not for you but everyone that looks at the pic.
dont forget dummy cords, everything dummy corded "Lotty dotty every body"

That's what the lanyard hole is for on the knife handle.

if you have to ditch your bag for what ever reason you will be ditching your knife also. Side arm and knife always to the body. Tools can be foregone to battle or the chase of game, or running for your life and policed up later. maybe!!

my carry knife is a cold steel recon tanto
edit on 21-2-2012 by rebellender because: added content

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

Agree DUMMYCORD......Recon Tanto....Good Knife SAN MAI?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CSBowie

no its carbon its old bought it in '97

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
as to knife .. am still using the Randall I had custom made 40+ years ago ..

havent seen anything yet that will match it .

new topics

top topics

join