It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOPA ACTA time to boycott the media?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
On an American national scale and on a global scale Hollywood (unless they allowed theselves to be used as an excuse) rammed down SOPA and ACTA down our collective throats. They did that with YOUR money, with the money you give them, everytime you go to the movies, download a song off iTunes, rent a movie, buy a bluray etc. .

In 1998 Titanic was the biggest box office success in history. In 2009, when the financial crisis was ub full swing, at least some people took their unemployment money to the cinema to see Avatar, which toppled Titanic as the biggest box office success.

Music bands who did money in their youth refuse to retire, because there is even more money to be made, as they still fill stadiums. I am unaware of anybody or something going bust due to online piracy and the profits of Hollywood knew only one way, up, when people had money that is.

Despite all the good times, the media is not happy. Their expectations have not been met. Their incomes have fallen short of what they wanted. Well there has been a lot of unmet expectations and incomes falling short in the past years. Is really piracy to blame for profits not being even more stellar for the entertainment industry? Couldnt it have something to do with 8% unemployment, working poor, more people under the poverty line, those who work to make ends meet, having no time but to work and sleep? Couldnt it have something to do with this

or that

Could be just the competition of videogames too though.

Myself I am lucky enough to have a lifestyle considered average in the normal world, probably affluent and fantastic anytime before the 20th century. As such I do normal things that enrich the media owners, such as buying Blurays, renting movies buying music etc. and yet I was vilified by those very same people I gave money to, put or going to be put under surveilance under legislations they bought themselves with my money, legislations that have the potential to go further than curtailing online piracy, censor speech on the internet.

I say no more. I propose that for the next 12 months we do not set foot in a movie theater do not download music, buy merchandise of any kind, rent or book movies. Its not as hard as it sounds. Surely your friends have Blu Rays and DVDs, catch up on movies you havent seen yet, by making your own Blu Ray night with media you already own, or swap your iTunes collections or other media, such as DVDs.

edit on 17-2-2012 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cassius666
I say no more. I propose that for the next 12 months we do not set foot in a movie theater do not download music, buy merchandise of any kind, rent or book movies. Its not as hard as it sounds. Surely your friends have Blu Rays and DVDs, catch up on movies you havent seen yet, by making your own Blu Ray night with media you already own, or swap your iTunes collections or other media, such as DVDs.

I say go outside, and learn to get free from such medias, connect again with real living humans, during those 12 months.
We'll learn that they are not a necessity, but a commodity, and all their watching schemes would fall on the floor with no results to report!

I support your idea and will talk about it with my family. There'll be some screeching, but I think it's worth it!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi

Originally posted by Cassius666

I say go outside, and learn to get free from such medias, connect again with real living humans, during those 12 months.
We'll learn that they are not a necessity, but a commodity, and all their watching schemes would fall on the floor with no results to report!

I support your idea and will talk about it with my family. There'll be some screeching, but I think it's worth it!

Help make the OP go viral then on other boards. Feel free to use quote and paste. I wont even sue you under acta :p

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Cassius666

Oohhh. I will spread it like a wildfire...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Cassius666

Technically, you couldn't sue under ACTA, as i'll be using an exact copy and not a cheap knock off (legalese speak counterfit is not an exact copy but a cheaper version made with cheaper material) just my 2 pence /cent worth...lol

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Great topic, and I agree with the OP, to a point. To really boycott the media, you also have to step away from your computer.

Try not using the internet in any form for a week.
Not trying to be cynical... just pointing out that the media is more then TV and movies.

PS> I did go for a couple of days without signing on, and you know, it was actually really nice.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Most importantly, spread the word on other forums too.

top topics

join