It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Shows Sheriff Attacking A Deaf-Mute Throat Cancer Survivor Who Accidentally Entered Courthouse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
BAH!

does this ever stop?

i mean, i just made a thread about a cop.

seriously i'm not one to bash any cops.

allthough i do feel stories like this deserve to see the light of day.

because i feel this isn't just a few rotten apples anymore.

this is becoming standard practice.

Video showing a sheriff’s “unjustified” and “excessive” force on a mute, deaf man in a Red Deer courthouse has now been released. On Dec. 9, cancer survivor Bill Berry, 52, was paying a traffic ticket when a sheriff told him he didn’t go through the proper security screening, as he had come in through an exit door. Berry, who is deaf, mute and breathes through his neck with a tube, tried to signal that he couldn’t hear or speak, at which point the sheriff became more forceful and tried to carry him out. Berry collapsed to the ground and his stoma tube fell out. He was unable to breathe until other sheriffs noticed and reinserted it.

video is in this link
edit on 16-2-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
These stories just seem to be getting a lot of press in alternative news and media sites. It is one thing if they come up daily, but if people are just rehashing stories from over the past year to few years, it's going to see like there is a lot more than there is.

Stats would be nice.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

you ask i'll supply

Federal prosecutors are targeting a rising number of law enforcement officers for alleged brutality, Justice Department statistics show. The heightened prosecutions come as the nation's largest police union fears that agencies are dropping standards to fill thousands of vacancies and "scrimping" on training.

Cases in which police, prison guards and other law enforcement authorities have used excessive force or other tactics to violate victims' civil rights have increased 25% (281 vs. 224) from fiscal years 2001 to 2007 over the previous seven years, the department says.

police brutality on the rise since 9-11

this is just one.

with a bit of googling you can find lots more.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
A random google...
more on the fired LEO
www.calgarysun.com...
www.globaltvedmonton.com...
Seems widely reported altho not being Canadian the news agencies don't ring a bell with me.
edit on 16/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: More links

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
"Surprisingly, the Canadian government actually fired him and they say he's "no longer a peace officer."

Now that is interesting.

That is an admission by the Canadian Government that they not only understand entirely, the difference between a "peace officer" and a "policy officer", but that they admit both do in fact exist and are not in any way shape or form the same thing.

If that "officer" would have been RCMP or the like, there would have been an "internal review" and that's the last you likely would have heard of it.
RCMP "internal review" = a sausage party with guns, beer, and hookers behind a locked door.

In any case, this does seem excessive, but the initial contact/confrontation occurs off-screen so who knows. Unless the perp was definitely "disturbing the peace" then the officer got what he deserved.

Policy officers should be held under the same account, and we'd have a lot less of these shenanigans and a lot more accountability.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Starred your post. It's better to have some kind of number to gauge the situation.

Also to point out, they mention that the numbers are relative:

The cases involve only a fraction of the estimated 800,000 police in the USA, says James Pasco, executive director of the National Fraternal Order of Police (FOP), the nation's largest police union.

However, this doesn't account for ones that were never caught.

Something else I think is interesting about this number... 800k police, 2 million people in jail. So.... What happened if we doubled the number of cops.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Something else I think is interesting about this number... 800k police, 2 million people in jail. So.... What happened if we doubled the number of cops.

i don't even want to think about this.

i think the whole of the USA will turn into a ghost-continent

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
They did not know
if the guy had a bomb
a gun, anything, how
did the cop know
this guy from mute
deaf and dumb?

When the cop realized what
he was doing he immediately
stopped the aggression.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

They did not know if the guy had a bomb a gun, anything, how did the cop know this guy from mute deaf and dumb?

get this mentality out of your head.

there's no boogeyman around every corner.

terrorists don't want to kill you for your freedom.

and if someone really wants to hurt somebody, some security screening isn't going to hold them back.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
What a bunch of thugs, I guess the police officer didnt know he was deaf, but the minute I saw the tube coming from his throat, I would of thought something wasnt right the guy. Its sad that the police act like this, I understand that there is protocol, but the Act first, ask questions later crap, has got to stop.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

good to know they fired him score one for canada we could learn alot from our brothers to the north....

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Full contact sign language, maybe?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Thomas Bounds, the Canadian police officer who assaulted the poor guy, was fired.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

I'm just around the corner and I'm coming for your freedoms!

BOOGIE BOOGIE BOOGIE!!!!

Are you scared yet?!?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by kn0wh0w

BOOGIE BOOGIE BOOGIE!!!!

Are you scared yet?!?

Well, as long as I don't enter through an exit only door, I guess I am fine.

Just trying to wrap that around my head. Man enters through an exit. Can't hear the cop and tries to signal that he is deaf and mute. Cop attacks...

I guess that will teach people not to enter through an exit door....

It's a really sad world any more. At least the cop was fired....Shame he wasn't arrested for assault as well, IMO.

It's time that cops like this are made an example of. Most cops are great. But the rotten apples are spoiling the whole bunch.
edit on 16-2-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by kn0wh0w

BOOGIE BOOGIE BOOGIE!!!!

Are you scared yet?!?

did you go through security screening?

NO?

*sh!ts pants*
edit on 16-2-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Full contact sign language, maybe?

rofl obviously the cop didn't master the techniques of sign lanuage.

ohw..

you said full contact sign language.

well the cop is a pro obviously.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Thomas Bounds, the Canadian police officer who assaulted the poor guy, was fired.

so i guess justice was served for once?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Any deviation from falling to ones face at a command is resisting and force is escalated to remove the threat, up to and including terminating the threat with deadly force.
Here is some interesting things from within LE on the subject
www.theppsc.org...
APB

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
These stories just seem to be getting a lot of press in alternative news and media sites. It is one thing if they come up daily, but if people are just rehashing stories from over the past year to few years, it's going to see like there is a lot more than there is.

Stats would be nice.

Department of Justice - Bureau of Justice Statistics - Data Collections: Law Enforcement -

Arrest-Related Deaths - 2003-2009 - Statistical Tables
on
2010 / 2011 / 2012 stats are not available from what I see. In addition this info the DOJ website covers a bunch of other statistics dealing with all aspects of Law Enforcement (Federal / State / County / Municipal / Tribal Police).

Reference the video and the officers actions - those statistics (assault) are in the dtat fields as well however I have not found the separation stats on how many assaults occurred where the Officer was the primary physical aggressor.

IN addition to the above info people can go to the main site page and on the left are options. Find the one that is titled UCR. The UCR (Uniform Crime Reporting) reporting is a nationwide tracking of crimes with further breakdowns (age of people involved, male or female, stuff like that.

Department of Justice - FBI homepage

The Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program was conceived in 1929 by the International Association of Chiefs of Police to meet a need for reliable, uniform crime statistics for the nation. In 1930, the FBI was tasked with collecting, publishing, and archiving those statistics. Today, several annual statistical publications, such as the comprehensive Crime in the United States, are produced from data provided by nearly 17,000 law enforcement agencies across the United States.

Other annual publications, such as Hate Crime Statistics and Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted, address specialized facets of crime.

Special studies, reports, and monographs prepared using data mined from the UCR’s large database are published each year as well. In addition to these reports, information about the National Incident-Based Reporting System (NIBRS), answers to general UCR questions, and answers to specific UCR questions are available on this site.

Hope the info answers your / other peoples questions on this topic.
edit on 16-2-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join