It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self Defense Killings in Detroit Spike to 2200% Above National Average; Justifiable Homicide up 79%

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
It seems Detroit has become the Capital of the U.S. for statistics like this.

Many factors involved here.

Is this what we can expect if and when things get any worse, or is Detroit just a "fluke" that has been festering for decades ?

Perhaps it's a City budget problem ?

If so, where is the hell is the State of Michigan when they need them ?

Other cities are facing similar problems with less impacts.

Mac Slavo February 10th, 2012 -- shftplan.com

As the economic crisis in 2008 took hold and the nation’s spiral into the next Great Depression became more apparent, we opined that crime would sky rocket as a consequence of millions of lost jobs, falling purchasing power and outright desperation.

The city of Detroit, which has been a harbinger for future trends soon to take hold across major metropolitan areas around the country, has no doubt experienced the worst of the depression thus far. Entire city blocks have become unlivable due to foreclosures and rampant crime, the jobless rate in 2009 exceeded 50% and a mass exodus has left the population at levels not seen since 1910.

By all accounts, the Motor City is ground zero for the collapse of America as we know it. Reminiscent of poverty stricken third world countries, it’s gotten so bad in Detroit that there are areas of the city where police and emergency services personnel refuse to go.

This has left law abiding residents of the city no choice but to arm themselves and start taking matters into their own hands.

Take No Prisoners

Please read the story and comment

Could Detroit become the first FEMA City ??

What's Wrong with Detroit ??

edit on Feb-10-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I live about 45 minutes west of Detroit and let me tell you, that is one dangerous city. The reason for all this mostly lies in the corruption from both city employees and elected officials, and employees or elected officials of Wayne County ( county Detroit is in). Here is a link to one of the local news sites with the reports on them.

www.clickondetroit.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

From the sound of it, things in Detroit haven’t changed much since I was a kid growing up in the suburbs.
It was always dangerous.
For years it was the murder capital of the world.
The city officials were corrupt going back to at least Coleman Young.
There have always been places that no one would venture into, not even law enforcement.
It used to be a common joke that if someone wanted to buy drugs, all they had to do was locate the nearest Detroit Police officer.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Yeah nowadays some of the cops are just as bad as the criminals. It's just sad because Detroit really could be a great city again. I still like going downtown to Red Wings games, Tigers games and such, but being down there I'm always on full alert.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

What's Wrong with Detroit ??

Answer: everything.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Back when the movie “The Crow” first came out, a couple of friends in Florida dragged me to the theater to watch it. The opening scene showed a city with a bunch of raging fires. I leaned over to one of my friends and jokingly said, “Hey, that looks like Detroit on Devils Night”.

A few second later, at the bottom of the screen a caption showed up….

“Detroit, Devils Night.”

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

reply to post by usmc0311

Yeah, like when people down here ask me where I’m from.
I tell them Detroit, and that it’s a great place to be FROM

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
As of Thursday morning the unofficial shooting totals for Detroit in 2012 thus far were 139 non fatal shootings, and 38 fatal. I have my sources.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOMALY502

Sounds about right. Every night the local news is full of shooting stories. But with that many who knows how many never make it to the news. In lansing MI today a man was trying to shoot his women and ended up shooting her toddler instead. The madness is deffinitely spreading out from the city as well. We had our first armed robbery in my town in a long time not to long ago. Also B&E's locally are skyrocketing along with larcenys of all kinds.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Just shows you what happens when the law enforcement system breaks down that people will no longer rely on the cops .
But they will rely in what they can trust and that is a well made weapon.

If they did away with the concealed weapons laws in the US so that every law abiding citician could carry when they needed to crime would drop by more then 50%. And there would be a lot less criminals walking the streets because many would be carried away in body bags.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Self defense shootings are up because the concealed carry law was changed for Michigan. It is now a "shall issue" state. Many more people are carrying, and protecting themselves.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Just shows you what happens when the law enforcement system breaks down that people will no longer rely on the cops .

If they did away with the concealed weapons laws in the US so that every law abiding citician could carry when they needed to crime would drop by more then 50%. And there would be a lot less criminals walking the streets because many would be carried away in body bags.

And many Union Cops and Union Prison Guard workers would be out of a job.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

Originally posted by ANNED

And many Union Cops and Union Prison Guard workers would be out of a job.

I would say maybe, but not really.

There's would still plenty of psychos and maniacs left anyway.

Not all would be killed.

The "gun" does not make the person crazy, they are usually born that way.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
What are suburbs everywhere going to be like, when gasoline is over $10.00 a gallon, the cities are too broke to maintain a police force, and everyone is desperate.

How likely is this?

Very likely.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Three triple shootings in the last 12 hours

www.clickondetroit.com...

Within a 12 hour time span, Detroit Police Homicide investigators have gathered what they call “significant information” that has lead to the arrest of one suspect, and the identification of several persons of interests in regards to three, unrelated triple shootings.

This mornings totals year to date 154 non fatal shootings, and 41 fatal.

new topics

top topics

join