It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Canadians want the death penalty back

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Tell that to the man who's kid was reduced to a puddle. He had to bury a jar. That killer is costing canadians upward of 50000$ per year in the safety of his cell and 3 square meals a day. Has free medical, dental and glasses. I'm sorry but I can't afford to get an issurance card for all that. And the most I got was a speeding ticket. I'm suprised there are homeless people. Mutilate and kill and you're set for life. It's better than living in a cardboard box at -40* I'm sure.

If you feel this way, than you surely don't appreciate freedom. And if you could rationalize being incarcerated with these things you mention, as being better than being free with nothing, you really need to rethink your thought process.

You could give a prisoner all the amenities in the world, no matter what, they are still not free. The incarceration is punishment, not lack of needs.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot

I would have no mercy for that "man" and anybody else like him.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Oh! Yeah! Eating rotten food loosing fingers and toes due to frost bite. When I did charity work, I would say a little less than a quarter of those who I spoke with would rather be emprisoned than spend an other winter outside. That's those who admited it. Some of them did hard time and would rather go back. And I kow exactly what I value. So just like I told many other people, keep your ignorant assumptions to youself.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Tell that to the man who's kid was reduced to a puddle. He had to bury a jar. That killer is costing canadians upward of 50000$ per year in the safety of his cell and 3 square meals a day. Has free medical, dental and glasses. I'm sorry but I can't afford to get an issurance card for all that. And the most I got was a speeding ticket. I'm suprised there are homeless people. Mutilate and kill and you're set for life. It's better than living in a cardboard box at -40* I'm sure.

If cost is the problem, why not forced labor for inmates?

I have an issue with irreversible cruel punishments such as death penalty, but I would fully support forced labor punishments.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

It certainly is not petty. It's to point out that some honest people can't afford to eat 3 square meals a day. I used to pass around christmas baskets for the poor and you would belive the things I've seen. In Canada none the less. Serial killers are better treated than certain disabled people. It's a friggin' discrace.

The poor aren't being denied good treatment because criminals aren't executed though. It's irrelevant.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo

I have an issue with irreversible cruel punishments such as death penalty, but I would fully support forced labor punishments.

Yeah, restorative justice. If a rapist gets a girl pregnant, he should have to pay child support, for example. Along with a restraining order and offender registry and no parental rights.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I also think our justice system demands too much of victims. It makes it almost impossible for them to get on with their lives.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

reply to post by boncho

Oh! Yeah! Eating rotten food loosing fingers and toes due to frost bite. When I did charity work, I would say a little less than a quarter of those who I spoke with would rather be emprisoned than spend an other winter outside. That's those who admited it. Some of them did hard time and would rather go back. And I kow exactly what I value. So just like I told many other people, keep your ignorant assumptions to youself.

People that want to go back after doing hard time do so because they become institutionalized. Many of them can't function in society anymore. They are waiting to be told what to do. They are waiting for their doors to be opened to leave a room.

When you did charity work. Hmm. Seems like that is a volunteer thing doesn't it? You choose to do it. Don't do it if you don't want to. You have that choice.

It is not an ignorant assumption by the way. You are rationalizing needs of lack or needs as punishment. That is not the punishment, the punishment is incarceration.

edit on 10-2-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Two wrongs don't make a right.

It's as simple as that.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Here is my opinion.

They polled a thousand Albertans and only 60% wanted the death penalty. I'm surprised it wasn't higher.

Cue the washboard and jug band.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
Here is my opinion.

They polled a thousand Albertans and only 60% wanted the death penalty. I'm surprised it wasn't higher.

One thing I was thinking that might explain BC's high percentage, which really shocked me as I see BC as being incredibly pro-human rights, might be their large Chinese population. Most Chinese people are supporters of the death penalty as the Far East doesn't have the same queasiness about revenge that the West does and in fact take the position that revenge is essential for societal order.

Also the BC Interior is pretty 'redneck' (no offense to anyone that lives there, not everyone there is redneck just a lot of people) and I feel pretty certain that people in Prince George, Kelowna, etc are gonna be more likely to support the death penalty, as well as things like bans on gay marriage, than people in Vancouver, Victoria and Abootsford.

I would say the majority of the Canada-born, urban population of Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland would oppose the death penalty, even for someone like Pickton (in his case, opting for life in prison - even me, a very forgiving person, would agree he deserves full life). I imagine it would be quite the same in other parts of Canada that are urban and mostly Canadian born. So really giving a percent of people isn't telling the full story, because you are counting recent immigrants.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
Here is my opinion.

I think it was probably a cherrypicked study.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Plenty of extreamly liberal enclaves in Alberta....

Alberta is not as red-neck as it once was..Migration from eastern provinces makes up a high percentage of the population here now.

Alberta just has a stigma of being a bunch of crazy neo-cons ....A perception created by the National..err err err Toronto based media.

edit on 10-2-2012 by wrathchild because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
Yup. Much like every other insane thing "Canadians" support, it's BS.

I always knew you weren't too bright but that one really makes it clear.

I kinda envy your simplicity, I'm sure you are happier with the world around you.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Lampsalot you are a little wrong on the drunk driving laws. People fight and get off all the time.

My sis was killed by a drunk driver and served just over a year. That was due to good behavior and you only have to serve 1/3 of a federal sentence. The max you can get is 5 years. "Involuntary Manslaughter" is what it turns out to be. I guess we like to act tough lol.

Death penalty would be good for tyrants I think.

edit on 10-2-2012 by godfather420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I never believe in polls, only fools should rely on them to change their point of view.

I'm very in between with the death penalty issue.

I am for it because, I think it serves them right
I believe in re-incarnation
I think it's a waste of good resources, human and monetary
It forces people to be a bit more reserved with temptations

But in another way I am against because it just doesn't seem right
2 wrongs don't make it right, like someone else said earlier
Those people can be rehabilitated and the research we do during that time can help us understand why and eliminate the problem from the source instead
Only God can judge with death, or so they say

I am not someone that lies to myself, I can't say what I would do if I was judge, jury and executioner.
I think I would kill them all with rage...then I wouldn't be worth any more then any of them.

I think that a lot of you that say they are against death penalty say it for social respect and legality, because if you knew everything that a child rapist did to so many children and you had the gun in your hand and it would be legal to pull the trigger...at least 50% would pull it.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by lampsalot
So really giving a percent of people isn't telling the full story, because you are counting recent immigrants.

Not to mention 1000 on 30 million.

Let's do gun rights survey in 1000 random residents from Grady, Arkansas and then say most human beings want guns.

edit on 10-2-2012 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I believe that if you have murdered or abused a child you should be strung up...not hung...not quick...strung up. Life without the possibility of parole is too much of a drain on the system. Premeditated murder might also get my approval, unless it was euthanasia, but, that gets to be a sticky path as well.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

If you feel this way, than you surely don't appreciate freedom. And if you could rationalize being incarcerated with these things you mention, as being better than being free with nothing, you really need to rethink your thought process.

You could give a prisoner all the amenities in the world, no matter what, they are still not free. The incarceration is punishment, not lack of needs.

So if you had a child you would ground him/her and allow them to play with their xbox, ipod, phone, tv, psp, Nintendo 3ds? Or sent without the amenities? Freedom isn't just about being able to leave a certain place.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

So if you had a child you would ground him/her and allow them to play with their xbox, ipod, phone, tv, psp, Nintendo 3ds? Or sent without the amenities? Freedom isn't just about being able to leave a certain place.

If your grounding are similar to corrections, you shouldn't be allowed to have kids.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join