It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Canadians want the death penalty back

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
While I think a lot of child molesters, rapists and some murderers deserve death, I also think it is too easy. I'm sure being in a cell 23 hours a day isn't much fun. So life is a tough punishment. There are pro's and con's to both sides. If we keep them in prison , we have to pay for it. But if we didn't use the money to pay for that ,then the Gov. would just waste it somewhere else. If we kill them, they might not be guilty. Look at all the cases being overturned in the U.S. because of advances in tech. I don't think child molesters should ever get out. These I would shoot behind the courthouse but only if we know 100% that they are guilty. Not just the jury finding them guilty

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
reply to post by lampsalot

Haha, fair enough. I didn't mean to accuse you of anything.

I just believe that a child is something more than human until he or she reaches adulthood. To rape a child, to fondle or otherwise molest a child is to take his or her innocence.

It changes the way that child looks at the world and the people who inhabit it. It has profound psychological implications that oftentimes prevent that person from ever really leading a 'normal' life.

Hmmm, more than human. I never saw it that way, I am 22 years old, so in a way I suppose I am almost still a child, but I didn't feel any different as an 8 year old than I do now. And the thing about kids being innocent? Hahaha, do you remember middle school?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
A side note.

My stepbrothers are victims of molestation. And yes, it's definitely had a profoundly negative impact on them, especially on the oldest one who bore the brunt of it. But I would never say that they would be better off dead. That would be ridiculous. They are awesome people.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

As a matter of fact I do! I was a scrapper, always a chubby kid so I got picked on. When I got picked on, I got violent.

I don't know.. I'm 24 so I'm not a whole lot older than you are. I remember how harsh kids are to each other, but thats part of the social games we play, we ARE essentially just bipedal shaved monkeys.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Agreed with ya there. My ordeal left me suicidal at times, but I'm a grown man now and the abuse left me with a lot of anger, most of that aimed at those who sexually abuse children.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Geez, send me there! The islands off the coast of BC are probably very high priced real estate!

So, I'm American-Canadian. Lived there half my life. Plan to go back. A lot of my personal friends in Canada don't believe in the death penalty. I think it has its place. I personal wish that Paul Bernardo could have been executed and his evil wife, Karla, too. Somebody did get ahold of Bernardo years ago and beat him up and broke his arm. I was glad to hear it! (That's probably my American side coming out! I do live in Arkansas now!)

But I also feel that it should be reserved to do away with the undoubtedly guilty and the heinous criminals. People like Clifford Olson, who finally died last year. And Robert Pickton. And William Patrick Fyfe, who stabbed 9 women to death, sexually assaulting some of them. Authorities believe there are more victims that were never found. Of course, he's incarcerated in a psychiatric hospital and wouldn't qualify for execution.

I just can't see the sense in taxpayers having to pay to keep these monstrously evil people alive for decades. But, most Canadians don't agree with it. I've talked about it with a lot of 'em over the years when I lived there. They find it offensive and barbaric. Every now and then one of 'em agreed with me, though. I'd say it was a minority, but there are a few who believe in it.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravensquawk

Geez, send me there! The islands off the coast of BC are probably very high priced real estate!

So, I'm American-Canadian. Lived there half my life. Plan to go back. A lot of my personal friends in Canada don't believe in the death penalty. I think it has its place. I personal wish that Paul Bernardo could have been executed and his evil wife, Karla, too. Somebody did get ahold of Bernardo years ago and beat him up and broke his arm. I was glad to hear it! (That's probably my American side coming out! I do live in Arkansas now!)

But I also feel that it should be reserved to do away with the undoubtedly guilty and the heinous criminals. People like Clifford Olson, who finally died last year. And Robert Pickton. And William Patrick Fyfe, who stabbed 9 women to death, sexually assaulting some of them. Authorities believe there are more victims that were never found. Of course, he's incarcerated in a psychiatric hospital and wouldn't qualify for execution.

I just can't see the sense in taxpayers having to pay to keep these monstrously evil people alive for decades. But, most Canadians don't agree with it. I've talked about it with a lot of 'em over the years when I lived there. They find it offensive and barbaric. Every now and then one of 'em agreed with me, though. I'd say it was a minority, but there are a few who believe in it.

Raven I really think it is a 'two kinds of people' sorta thing. Just like you have cat people and dog people, for example. I find the presence of the death penalty disgusting because of my belief in unconditional love's virtuosity, other people find the lack of a death penalty disgusting because they view it as a tolerance of evil.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Although polling is somewhat of af science and are fairly accurate ( if done well) I don't believe this.

As a Canadian I am very happy that we do not have Capital Punishment, the death penalty isn't necessary. Our justice system is broken only in the sense that we aren't as free as we should be.

I do not support this, and neither do most Canadians I know and talk to on a daily basis.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Although polling is somewhat of af science and are fairly accurate ( if done well) I don't believe this.

As a Canadian I am very happy that we do not have Capital Punishment, the death penalty isn't necessary. Our justice system is broken only in the sense that we aren't as free as we should be.

I do not support this, and neither do most Canadians I know and talk to on a daily basis.

~Tenth

Yeah I think you can always get aberrations on those and I don't really buy that the margin of error is at most 3 percent. It seems pretty wrong to me though sometimes I am surprised at the America-like vengeful views some Canadians do express, but they do seem like the minority.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

When it comes to Harper.....lets just say I don't like the guy. But to say it propaganda...maybe but I don't see it. Now, for the death penality; With out the inkling of a shadow of a doubt. In other words he/she would have to be cought with his/her hand in the cookie jar, so to speak. Take a guy like Clifford Robert Olson. A serial child killer. Here's a guy that beat a kid to a point were the kid had to be collect in a glass jar. Now. I wouldn't even spent the money for an injection for that guy. I'd just bring him out back and... Cheap buck shot is what 50 cents a pop? In cases like that I'd be all for it. But there is a huge flaw in the US death penalty as it stands right now. Since 1970, 130 people have been released from death row. Now those are just the ones that have been released. How many more are there on Death row that can't afford an atorney or got bad representation, what ever the case may be, that are innocent? I heard somewhere a third are innocent. That's why ...hand in the cookie jar.
edit on 10-2-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It's not as if Canadians are some rare breed of exotic, cold-loving animal, distantly related to their more southerly American counterparts. Canada is made up, by and large, by the same ethnic groups that make up America. Every shade of white and black and every colour in between is represented here.

Its not a tribalist Canada - America thing, its a human thing. Some people like the idea of killing those who they feel deserve it. Others feel that nobody deserves it. It's as simple as that - it's not that some Canadians are more 'American-like' because they support the death penalty. Thats like saying some Americans are more Canada-like because they enjoy hockey, and ice fishing, and maple syrup.. and beavers.
edit on 10-2-2012 by Monger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
killing the someone for doing anything should never be okay with anyone. someone rapes beats tortures or kills people, then we kill them for it. makes no sense and is nothing more than ego justified murder.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
killing the someone for doing anything should never be okay with anyone. someone rapes beats tortures or kills people, then we kill them for it. makes no sense and is nothing more than ego justified murder.

Thats your opinion.

Others might call it justice.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Tell that to the man who's kid was reduced to a puddle. He had to bury a jar. That killer is costing canadians upward of 50000$ per year in the safety of his cell and 3 square meals a day. Has free medical, dental and glasses. I'm sorry but I can't afford to get an issurance card for all that. And the most I got was a speeding ticket. I'm suprised there are homeless people. Mutilate and kill and you're set for life. It's better than living in a cardboard box at -40* I'm sure.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
Others feel that nobody deserves it. It's as simple as that - it's not that some Canadians are more 'American-like' because they support the death penalty. Thats like saying some Americans are more Canada-like because they enjoy hockey, and ice fishing, and maple syrup.. and beavers.
edit on 10-2-2012 by Monger because: (no reason given)

Well I would argue that liking ice fishing, hockey and beavers does make an American a little more canadian.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Tell that to the man who's kid was reduced to a puddle. He had to bury a jar. That killer is costing canadians upward of 50000$ per year in the safety of his cell and 3 square meals a day. Has free medical, dental and glasses. I'm sorry but I can't afford to get an issurance card for all that. And the most I got was a speeding ticket. I'm suprised there are homeless people. Mutilate and kill and you're set for life. It's better than living in a cardboard box at -40* I'm sure.

What's up with this 3 square meal cliche? It just sounds petty to be honest. It's not like they are eating caviar.

link   

Originally posted by Vardoger
I'd say its split pretty evenly. I for one think it should be reinstated for certain extreme cases, ie serial killers, child murders, etc. Right now the justice system seems to protect the criminals more than the victims and 25years in prison IMO is not Justice for killing innocent children. If prison was more like it was, should be, back in the day with a steel cot and some reading material I may have a different opinion. however, letting them live with tv/computers/work (for some pay)/education, 3 square meals a day is not justice, it's an insult.

Take for example Robert Picton.Probably the worst Canadian serial killer in a long time.
en.wikipedia.org...

Also it seems that in my experience, 'blue collar' workers are more inclined to think that way compared to their 'white collar' counterparts.

I agree with Vardoger, as the extreme cases get treated better in jail than the downtrodden at our expense.
No one seems to relate to the victims anymore. There has to be some retribution to be paid for by the guilty, as they ruin lives, families relationships and often attack many who are a boon to our society.
In the crime world, if a gang member's sister was raped and killed,the perp would disappear long before those scumbags would even get a trial date.
I do not advocate killing on either side, but in proven extreme cases it is the best form of preventing this from happening again.

link   
After given a fair trial and with 100% proof that they indeed did it, I have no issue with the death penalty. Our system up here is a joke, get 25 years for murder and get out in ten for 'good behavior'. My ass.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
That thing about Clifford Olson does make me sick though. I mean jeez. But putting him to death doesn't somehow make me feel any better about it. The damage is done

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

It certainly is not petty. It's to point out that some honest people can't afford to eat 3 square meals a day. I used to pass around christmas baskets for the poor and you would belive the things I've seen. In Canada none the less. Serial killers are better treated than certain disabled people. It's a friggin' discrace.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join