It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you heard of ractopamine hydrochloride?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Correct, it's given before they slaughter which means it's still in the animal when it hits the shelves. It's kind of like watering your veggies with poisonous fertilizer then eating them.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
This is horrible news for the bacon lovers of America

I have never heard of this chemical so I'm going to look it up in more detail to see if it's used in Canada, thanks for sharing

I freaking hope they don't use this in Canadian pigs, because I love bacon.

lol
there's always turkey bacon
[ducks for cover]

Bro! In Canada they put it in turkey too!

I wish I never looked now

More poison in my daily life.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
Even if you haven't heard of it, other countries have and want nothing to do with it.
I don't blame them one bit and the US needs to stop feeding it to pigs.

Dispute over drug in feed limiting US meat exports

bottomline.msnbc.msn.com...
(I did a search for the drug, but nothing came up. If this has been posted previously, please disregard.)

A drug used to keep pigs lean and boost their growth is jeopardizing the nation’s exports of what once was known as “the other white meat.”

The drug, ractopamine hydrochloride, is fed to pigs and other animals right up until slaughter and minute traces have been found in meat.

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by kimish

People have actually taken this stuff and haven't suffered bad side effects.

Please provide a source to back this information.

From what I've posted, it can cause muscle tremors, elevated blood pressure, and behavioral problems such as nervousness and anxiety.

Losing weight? Looking slimmer these days?

I am highly suspect of any drug, growth hormone, or feed additive. I am also suspect of anything that is reported to trigger an alert. I'd like to hear more about who is calling "foul" here. It just might be that people consuming pork are starting to get leaner like the hogs it's fed to. That could cut big time into the diet industry's business.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

You might be on to something. My sister just recently started a diet where you cut out all grains from your diet and eat mainly meat. She's lost a lot weight so far.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

I think you may be onto something

It does sound like a very good possibility.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

What's with the sarcasm?
You obviously don't see any problem with this drug and we aren't mocking you.

I'm sure this drug does affect the body. Maybe it's a good result at first, but I don't see the positives lasting too long.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Just cutting down on carbs and eating alot of protein will help cut weight. It's mainly the carbs that pose the weight issue for most people so... I think by the time the meat is processed and cooked any remnants from the food additive would have probably degraded. I'm curious to see results about how much of that additive actually gets into our bodies from ingesting discussed meats. I may need to stock up on pork

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
It wasn't mocckery, the rolling eyes were meant to signify "its a no brainer" , I appologize for the misunderstanding.

I don't know whether this chemical is bad or not. I guess, people have been taking it for over 10 years and i've never heard of any deaths or any negativity towards this chemical so i'm on the fence about how I feel, personally, about it. But, I don't oppose of steroids in my beef either and I am entitled to that as you are your beliefs.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. My sister eats very little junk food and works her butt off doing drywall for a living. In my opinion, she just has a slower metabolism. On the other hand, I practically live on raw veggies and speghetti. I probably eat meat once or twice a week. My metabolism is off the charts it's so fast.

The information I read says that the drug does go through the system quickly, but I'm wondering the physical changes that are taking place that will impact the health of the consumer. The information states that the drug has killed several pigs, so I can't see where farmers are even staying in business if their livestock are dying before they can even make a dime off of them.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Finaplex made the bulls kill each other and it was still used.
I don't think the pigs were dying left and right from it or the farmers would have stopped using it. The pigs that supposedly died from it couldve had an allergic reaction. Something they can also get from antibiotics.

I don't think it's right that this was fed to our food without our knowledge but I also feel that it was done for profit on the farmers behalf. THe pig farmers probably eat their own pork so I think if this supplement is that bad then farmers would have stopped using it.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I don't oppose of steroids in my beef either and I am entitled to that as you are your beliefs.

That's fine if you feel that way, but I don't think anyone should take any type of muscle building chemicals directly or otherwise.

The bottom line is that I'm sick and tired of the government putting chemicals in my food and water. Isn't it sheer hypocrisy that steroids are illegal for body builders, but it's legal to use on animals that we're going to consume?
Just look at what steroids do to race horses. Several have broken legs during races, but this doesn't stop the owners from doping them. It's all about the money.

Why doesn't the government just legalize drugs if they enjoy putting them in us so much? At least this way, I would be in control of what I put in my body and they wouldn't.

In my opinion, the War on Drugs needs to be aimed at the government and corporations. If they expect me to say No to street drugs, then I expect them to say No to food additives just like China and other countries are doing.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I think the simplest answer would solve all the issues.

Go vegan or vegitairian

it will keep you from eating the poison fed to animals

It will stop the inhumane farming and killing of innocent animals.

It will slap these big companies in the face because when you stop purchasing their animal products , they loose money.

it will also solve world hunger, since all the food and water that is fed to animals that you eat, can now feed starving people.

Sure maybe eventually they will want to start poisoning non animal products, which they already do. But at least you can grow your own food worst case scenario.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
This is why I eat Turkey bacon. Of course I'm sure there's something they pump into turkeys as well. Need to get my own farm.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
"Forks over knives" that movie explains it all. Thanks for the extra evidence to lead a healthier life.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I am fortunate to have a dairy that delivers that uses only local dairy products, meats , etc that are chemical and hormone free.

If people were actually able to see the difference between natural home grown meat and what is actually at the grocery store, they would be confounded. Nothing tastes the same, nothing looks the same.
Chicken is just a flavorless abomination.
There is even a huge difference in the milk.

Not being able to export meat has been going on for some time. Europe won't touch it. I am surprised Canada does.

I worked in a restaurant that was popular for their steaks (not a chain) why was it popular? The steak was imported from Belgium.

Not only is mass meat production a health nightmare, it is an animal rights nightmare, and it is an ecological nightmare.

All the more reason to go local.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
What is scarey about this article is that Cali tried to do the right thing and prevent the use of the four D put into food. Death diseased disabled and dying.

To put this in perspective, the four D usually go to rendering plants. That meat is used in pet food. Remember the pet food deaths a few years back?
edit on 26-1-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Hmm Canada is allowing it, must be relatively safe or we getting slacky like our nighbour in the south in food department!...

hmmm, im not really into Pig meat.. i do have my occasionly bacon but i would not want Ractopamine HCl in my system,... weight gain O.o? no thx.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Great post OP – definitely information we should know about.

Meat producers had sued to overturn California’s ban, arguing that the state could not supercede federal rules on meat production. The court agreed.

How odd this is said, yet Cali has laws superceding federal law in regards to marijuana. Maybe a change is coming to this now also.
I smell lobbyist money in here somewhere. (yes, it smells) see lobby chart here: Pork Producers Lobbying $$

ractopamine mimics stress hormones, making the heart beat faster and relaxing blood vessels

Stuff like this along with hormones, HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), and all the other myriad of chemicals we consumers are allowed to ingest probably goes a long way in explaining certain health trends such as diabetes, obesity, and cardio-pulmonary diseases.

Only one human study was used in the safety assessment by Elanco, and among the six healthy young men who participated, one was removed because his heart began racing and pounding abnormally, according to a detailed evaluation of the study

So, if you grub down a burger somewhere and you happen to get one with a high level of ractopamine, for some, it could potentially prove fatal. Nice.

Setting a Codex standard for ractopamine would strengthen Washington's ability to challenge other countries' meat import bans at the World Trade Organization.
The issue has reached the last step in Codex's approval process, but since 2008 the commission has been deadlocked over one central question: What, if any, level of ractopamine is safe in meat?

(Much)More lobby money here?
The whole damn thing seems an effort just to increase profits no matter who or what becomes a casualty along the way. Go capitalism.
FERN

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by explorer14

A huge thanks, explorer14, for adding the information about the lobbying efforts as well as the other scary stuff. I hope you're right about California's ability to supercede the Supreme Court's ruling. It would most definitely be a step in the right direction. Plus, with the information about the lobbyists, I wouldn't doubt if they had a few judges in their pockets.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
So I have a question. A lot of people think that if they grow their own food/meat, they aren't getting a lot of these gmo's or toxic chemicals. But, by purchasing food from a public source, is this ingredient in the food they might be feeding their own animals? Also, why did the USA "seize" meat with this ingredient in it if we are adding it ourselves?

<< 1    3 >>

join