It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Buy 10,800,000+ Guns in 2011

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Recent statistics released by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) report that for nineteen straight months, and that includes all of 2011, American men & women bought over 10,800,000 plus firearms.

This number based on the FBI National Instant Criminal Background Check System, better know as NICS, and is the adjusted NICS data derived by the NSSF research division subtracting out NICS purpose code permit checks used by several states such as Kentucky, Iowa and Utah for carrying concealed weapon (CCW) permit application checks as well as checks on active CCW permit databases.

The final number, of 10,800,000, is considered conservative by experts because the this number does not account for the multiple purchase of guns at the same time or the guns bought and sold legally, person to person by US residents, which rightly so, do not require a back ground check.

Ten Million new gun owners, in just 2011, should be a wake up call to our current President who continues to play dumb that his hate of bible clinging, gun toting American Values, like hunting & owning guns will not be tolerated. His and Eric Holder’s “under the radar” plan to sell guns to evil Mexican Gun Cartels in an effort to set up the Second Amendment as the fall guy now has ten million people angry at him.

If just one current Presidential candidate could prove his sworn support for the Second Amendment, and the constitution for that matter, and rally our forces behind him he would be swept into the white house on a massive wave of support.

Yea just try and take the guns away.......

So what does 10,800,000 look like?
The guns purchased by American men & women in 2011 is more than one gun for every active duty military member in the worlds fourteen largest armies combined.

Russia Russian Federation 1,027,000
North Korea 1,106,000
South Korea 687,000
Vietnam 455,000
India 1,325,000
China 2,285,000
Iran 523,000
United States 1,468,364
Republic of China 290,000
Brazil 327,710
Pakistan 617,000
Egypt 468,500
Cuba 49,000
Ukraine 129,925
Above Total = 10,758,499
*Source Wikipedia: tiny.cc...

If you assume an average length of each gun as two feet that would be 4090 miles of guns. That is fourteen times the length of the Grand Canyon and all most twice as long as the Mississippi River and 17,280 times higher than the Empire State Building.

www.ammoland.com...

Americans have more guns that every army in the world! I know it's true on my block - a few years ago a guy down the street was raided and they found over 10,000 guns and ammunition and a shooting range underneath his house!

edit on 24-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Interesting.

Isn't your 2nd amendment to prevent government from getting too big?

Serious question.

Also, Canada has more guns per capita
edit on 24-1-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Way more than 10 million.

Record gun checks, sales for Christmas

For the first 11 months of 2011, the FBI did a record 14.6 million checks, an increase of more than 70% from the 8.5 million in 2003. Kentucky led the nation, with more than 2 million background checks conducted through November, double the No. 2 gun-check state, Texas. The Bluegrass State, with a population of about 4.3 million, has been tops in background checks the past five years and has the most checks of any state since 1998 — more than 12.6 million.

14.6 million background checks in 11 months. And in December :

According to FBI statistics, gun dealers requested more than 1.5 million background checks to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System in December, the highest single-month figure since the statistics first began being recorded.

And that is just retail gun sales. Not counting private sales. So ya. Wouldn't surprise me if 20 million guns were sold in 2011.

But all that doesn't matter... if when they decide to take them following whatever excuse... economic collapse, massive crime wave, terrorist attack, people give them back to the government. What also matters is the number of AMMO... you can have all the guns you want... but if you don't have ammo, they are worthless. Big taxes on ammo is coming, bet on it.

Anyway, people know what's going on and what's about to happen... government tyranny + economic collapse = need for protection.

Number of gun owners in America : 80 million +. Number of guns in America : 260 million +.
edit on 24-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It may be that there's a lot more folks that actually know what's going on and are reading the signs; they just ain't saying anything. I know that there's plenty of people who see the writing on the wall that have come out of me in the past few months as I've laid my cards on the table.

Where I'm at, folks aren't so much "sheeple", anymore. They see; they don't know what they see because they're not sitting around searching for the pieces to put a finger on exactly what they see like I am, but they see something. A something that makes them uneasy.
edit on 24-1-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
We ONLY bought 10.8 million in 2011?? Oh heck. We must do better than that! We have over 87 million registered gun owners in this nation when I last bothered to really dig for a reliable number, and that was years ago. I'll bet the actual headcount would be well north of 100 million. So, c'mon.... We can do much better in 2012. Lets work on it!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I am not really surprised by this number!

365+ million people in the U.S. and this only represents something like 3.5%...seems pretty low to me considering!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
got me a sweet G26 this past spring and i enjoy going to the range all i can. i guess it's creating jobs and hopefully some of them are still in America. i think Ithaca has been producing some real nice hardware since they were bought by a private company in Ohio.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

365+ million people in the U.S. and this only represents something like 3.5%...seems pretty low to me considering!

310 million people... I don't know if it counts illegals or not. But if it doesn't, then 325-335 million people.

And people who are waken up are the minority.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This figure doesnt take into account private transfers.

Still, awfully low number. Considering most gun owners own multiple firearms it still means too many people are unarmed. Which means that minority even stacking up millions of guns every year is still subjected to the rule of the unarmed majority.
edit on 24-1-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
That's only with 19 months of purchasing.

I'm sure that most homes in the US had enough weapons before that, to arm themselves, and all their neighbours too.
That almost 11 million figure is just for "more" guns per family....

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
Interesting.

Isn't your 2nd amendment to prevent government from getting too big?
Serious question.
Also, Canada has more guns per capita

It's a good question. Luckily, the Constitution is clearly written and it's intent is explicit.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -2nd Amendment

what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. – George Mason

Also, the US has 88.8 Firearms per 100 capita and Canada has 30.8.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 24-1-2012 by METACOMET because: fx

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Those figures are based on open survey which most people don’t answer honestly. And it is back in 2007. there has been millions of firearms sold sense then.

On production based estimations Most firearms produced before ww2 are not even counted. They consider a firearms lifespan to be around 20 to 40 years depending on the estimate.

Based on manufacturing, import, export, and realistic attrition figures, we should have close to 600 million firearms in circulation right now.

Here is someone else that has also done the rough estimation.

extranosalley.com...

With the number of guns sold since then, we probably have two guns for every man woman and child.

The number of guns I see in the houses around here would back up that estimate.

edit on 24-1-2012 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
This figure doesnt take into account private transfers.

Still, awfully low number. Considering most gun owners own multiple firearms it still means too many people are unarmed. Which means that minority even stacking up millions of guns every year is still subjected to the rule of the unarmed majority.

This has been going on for years, hasn't it? Once Obama was elected the number skyrocketed and has stayed high. All you're looking at here is one year's worth of recorded gun sales. Add up, say, 20 years of gun sales and you've got a substantial number of armed people.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I love this!! 2nd Amendment baby!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

It's only 1 in 3.

One in Three Americans Personally Own a Gun

Since 2000, Gallup has asked respondents with guns in their households a follow-up question to determine if the gun belongs to the respondent or to someone else. On this basis, Gallup finds that 34% of all Americans personally own a gun.
link

It only looks high because a gun owner is likely to have multiple guns.

Individually though gun owners are still a minority in this country.

Hypothetical gun owner household, 2 people and 40 guns.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Originally posted by jerryznv

310 million people... I don't know if it counts illegals or not. But if it doesn't, then 325-335 million people.

And people who are waken up are the minority.

Ya...I am not sure...I was just throwing out a rough estimate...who really knows?

Still...about 3.5% of the population bought a gun in 2011...surprisingly low number in my opinion!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You honestly think that people will answer such a question honestly?

I know that if some unknown person called me in the middle of the day and ask me those types of questions, that they would not get a real answer. I know that most of the people I know would not answer that type of question.

It is none of their F’ing business

The fact that 34 percent of people polled admitted to owning one is what surprises me.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

A valid point. There's no way to know for sure how many answers were honest either claiming to own firearms or to not own firearms.

The only number with any provability or value to it is the NICS number which is 16,000,000 checks run in 2011. link

This doesnt account for multiple arms sold or ineligible buyers or private sales or repeat checks.

Given that the most densely populated areas are also the most gun-phobic it isnt hard for me to believe numbers around 30%.

Sure, where I am the number has to be upwards of 90%. But where I am is sparsely populated.

I'd love to believe that every man, woman and child in this country were armed. I really would. But it isnt true. I'd be shocked if it were 50%.

There are more than enough guns in private hands to arm everyone, sure. But my three full safes doesnt help arm families in the Peoples Republic of California.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You underestimate your fellow countrymen.

For example, Canada.
They have registered 7 million guns.
The official government estimation is that there is 10 million guns in the country.

In 1976, there was and estimated 18 million guns in circulation.
There has been over 3 million guns sold since then.

Counting attrition and buybacks, there is over 21 million guns in Canada.

When the government started instating gun control measures, over 10 to 12 million guns “disappeared”.

Did the owners sell them to legal gun owners? No. If they did, they would have been registered. The people still own them. They was quietly put away in cubby holes in the basement, or in the bottom of a drawer full of clothes.

Just ask anyone that lives in Canada. The buying and selling of unregistered firearms is normal day to day activity. Police in most territories (excluding quebec) won’t even do anything when they find unregistered guns any more. They just ignore them.

Current rough estimation is there is 66 guns per 100 people in Canada.

There is officially 3 million unregistered guns.

There is over 10 million guns (over 50% of total guns) that don’t even officially exist as far as the government is concerned.

If that is the condition in Canada where gun sales are strictly controlled. Think of the condition in the US.

If they estimate around 270 million guns in the US, then I can easily see there being over 600 million in the US.

And the other thing to differentiate is the number of people with access to guns. Just because there is X number of people say that they own guns, doesn’t mean that the number of people with access to guns is also X. The person’s wife may not consider herself as owning a gun. All those guns in the house belong to her husband. But she has access to them, and her children have access to them.

The more accurate figure is….. the percentage of households that have a gun/s in them. The current figure is somewhere around 40 to 45 percent as of 2010.

If 40 some percent of people actually admitted to having a gun in the house, then I would say that the actual number of houses with a gun is probably close to 80%. That is based on the running trend that about half the population will not admit the fact that they have any.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Hold the phone cowboy!
Are you sure?
I'd like to see the statistical data source you use.
You see in the US we can own guns, are you sure that you are not including all of your military small arms and the US only last year figure?
I dunno, source plz.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join