It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Solar Eruption Sparks Strongest Radiation Storm in 7 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
www.space.com...

A barrage of charged particles triggered by this morning's solar flare is expected to hit Earth tomorrow at around 9 a.m. EST (1400 GMT), according to experts at the Space Weather Prediction Center, a division of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

That's right, the biggest in 7 years but don't worry there's nothing to fear. Polar flights are being rerouted to avoid the CME but that's about it. Our power grids and computers will be fine.

A powerful solar eruption is expected to blast a stream of charged particles toward Earth tomorrow (Jan. 24), as the strongest radiation storm since 2005 rages on the sun.

Early this morning (0359 GMT Jan. 23, which corresponds to late Sunday, Jan. 22 at 10:59 p.m. EST), NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory caught an extreme ultraviolet flash from a huge eruption on the sun , according to the skywatching website Spaceweather.com.

The solar flare spewed from sunspot 1402, a region of the sun that has become increasingly active lately. Several NASA satellites, including the Solar Dynamics Observatory, the Solar Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO), and the Stereo spacecraft observed the massive sun storm.

Sunday's solar flare was rated an M9-class eruption, which placed it just on the verge of being an X-class flare, the most powerful type of solar storm. M-class sun storms are powerful but mid-range, while C-class flares are weaker.

spaceweather.com...

Scientists classify solar flares according to their x-ray brightness in the wavelength range 1 to 8 Angstroms. There are 3 categories: X-class flares are big; they are major events that can trigger planet-wide radio blackouts and long-lasting radiation storms. M-class flares are medium-sized; they can cause brief radio blackouts that affect Earth's polar regions. Minor radiation storms sometimes follow an M-class flare. Compared to X- and M-class events, C-class flares are small with few noticeable consequences here on Earth.

solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov...

The sun's activity waxes and wanes on an 11-year cycle. Currently, our planet's nearest star is in the midst of Solar Cycle 24, and activity is expected to ramp up toward solar maximum in 2013.

So there's nothing out of the ordinary here, just the Sun going through it's predictable cycles, but keep watching to see what this Sun is up too because it is up to cool stuff.

The strange case of solar flares and radioactive elements

news.stanford.edu...

When researchers found an unusual linkage between solar flares and the inner life of radioactive elements on Earth, it touched off a scientific detective investigation that could end up protecting the lives of space-walking astronauts and maybe rewriting some of the assumptions of physics.

It's a mystery that presented itself unexpectedly: The radioactive decay of some elements sitting quietly in laboratories on Earth seemed to be influenced by activities inside the sun, 93 million miles away.

Is this possible?

Researchers from Stanford and Purdue University believe it is. But their explanation of how it happens opens the door to yet another mystery.

There is even an outside chance that this unexpected effect is brought about by a previously unknown particle emitted by the sun. "That would be truly remarkable," said Peter Sturrock, Stanford professor emeritus of applied physics and an expert on the inner workings of the sun.

The story begins, in a sense, in classrooms around the world, where students are taught that the rate of decay of a specific radioactive material is a constant. This concept is relied upon, for example, when anthropologists use carbon-14 to date ancient artifacts and when doctors determine the proper dose of radioactivity to treat a cancer patient.

edit on 23-1-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Already posted, like 5 or 6 times.....
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 23-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

I did a title search and found nothing. Ugh

Thanks for the links, well that 3rd link sucks, but the other two do cover the story, and my article came out today. The story has already been posted though so I will ask for this to be closed
edit on 23-1-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

No prob, your thread is better with more info though. Star for that.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

Thanks dude, I appreciate that

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
And, happily, your thread isn't the fear mongering sort.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Double post.
edit on 23-1-2012 by butcherguy because: DP

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Maybe we'll get superpowers. Good guys, bad guys, neutral guys...sounds like a good time to me.

Now back to the real world. At least some people farther north will be provided with a nice Aurora like view.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Thanks for posting
. I found your post informative and well put together.

*does that goofy little emodi whatever count as my "second line" how about this one

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Closed at Swills' request, but if anyone disagrees, please don't hesitate to send me a private message.

new topics

top topics

join